bringing a portable to work.

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
just got a 9 to 5 at a pharmaceutical warehouse/supply depot doing order placement/data entry. Today was my first day and im digging it. Good money, benefits, and the work isnt bad/tolerable. We are allowed to listen to music while we are working and i want to know if it would be a bad look to bring a portable in. I didnt ask yet, gonna wait a while till i get more comfortable with the place, but anyone ever do this? I dont want to look like a moron just bringing in a table, but it would be so ill to have it. I would get tons of listening out of the way which ive been wanting to do for a while.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    just got a 9 to 5 at a pharmaceutical warehouse/supply depot doing order placement/data entry. Today was my first day and im digging it. Good money, benefits, and the work isnt bad/tolerable.

We are allowed to listen to music while we are working and i want to know if it would be a bad look to bring a portable in. I didnt ask yet, gonna wait a while till i get more comfortable with the place, but anyone ever do this? I dont want to look like a moron just bringing in a table, but it would be so ill to have it. I would get tons of listening out of the way which ive been wanting to do for a while.

If you have your own office, go for it, otherwise I would stick to digital/CD.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    cubicle. So

its got a headphone jack so i wont be distributing people but i guarantee they have never seen this go down there.

• Bring in one of these, and then stop working everytwo or three minutes and run over to wind it up.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    leave the record player at home

your boss will pigeonhole you

every time you make some small mistake, he'll claim you spend too much time playing with your record player instead of doing work

then he'll fire you because you are too focused on other things besides work

don't do it man

Bring in one of these, and then stop working everytwo or three minutes and run over to wind it up.

hahaha.

I will definitely get some executive ass if i bring in this.

• If you have your own office, go for it, otherwise I would stick to digital/CD.

Agreed. Plus, it puts out the vibe for a million of those "..oh you like records? Well I have 7 or 8 boxes sitting in my garage, you're welcome to them."

DOUBLE BONUS: Chicks dig it.

every time you make some small mistake, he'll claim you spend too much time playing with your record player instead of doing work

don't do it man

yeah this is what i have been thinking. Dont want to be the "unique" fella. i want to ask but im on the fence. Ill see how it pans out for a while then entertain the idea.

• leave the record player at home

don't do it man

Screw that. Be responsible for your own performance.

My boss gets heartbroken when I DONT bring it in.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

don't do it man

I think we can all agree on that

not sure why you quoted me

• DOUBLE BONUS: Chicks dig it.

Yeah.. well, I'm just going to have to disagree with you on this one.

If you have your own office, go for it, otherwise I would stick to digital/CD.

Agreed. Plus, it puts out the vibe for a million of those "..oh you like records? Well I have 7 or 8 boxes sitting in my garage, you're welcome to them."

DOUBLE BONUS: Chicks dig it.
    oh shit i didnt even think of free records. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

damn....decisions decisions.....

now my current objective is to get real friendly with Fran the 60 year old supervisior. Ill tell her all i listen to is lawerence welk and johnny mathis to butter her up.

• Fran the 60 year old supervisior.

Yes Fran may digg it, but none of those young hotties in the office are going to think your mildewy old records are cool unless they are artschool freaks with dirty underwear.

don't do it man

No direct jab at you, I was just stating that in no way should any boss in the world be able to lay the blame of poor perfomance on the type of media you happen to enjoy listening to.

Yes Fran may digg it, but none of those young hotties in the office are going to think your mildewy old records are cool unless they are artschool freaks with dirty underwear types.

Granted, a GP-3 ain't pulling you any Kardashian-level ass, but who wants to shit in thier own backyard? Thats trouble from jump street.

It's the office worker's friends you need to know.

Dropping heat in the office reels them in, then you throw the invite for them to come see you play or accompany you to a friends gig 'cause you have the hook-up on the guest list or whatever, tell them to bring some friends. THEN you lay your options (pun intended).

Fran the 60 year old supervisior.

Yes Fran may digg it, but none of those young hotties in the office are going to think your mildewy old records are cool unless they are artschool freaks with dirty underwear types.

Granted, a GP-3 ain't pulling you any Kardashian-level ass, but who wants to shit in thier own backyard? Thats trouble from jump street.

Dropping heat in the office reels them in, then you throw the invite for them to come see you play or accompany you to a friends gig 'cause you have the hook-up on the guest list or whatever, tell them to bring some friends. THEN you lay your options (pun intended).

i like the way you think ??

if i do get fired though its all your fault and i will kill you.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

don't do it man

No direct jab at you, I was just stating that in no way should any boss in the world be able to lay the blame of poor perfomance on the type of media you happen to enjoy listening to.

while that may make sense to a lot of people, i wouldn't put that shit past a lot of bosses

i change my answer to "feel the place out first"

if it's an uptight environment, don't do it. you'll be labeled as the dude Frickin' around with toys in his office

if it's the kind of place where one of your coworker dresses like a klingon to work everyday, go for yours!

i like the way you think ??

if i do get fired though its all your fault and i will kill you.

Deal.

FYI: 45's are a bad idea at work. You'll never get anything done.

LP's - ALL DAY!

• if it's the kind of place where one of your coworker dresses like a klingon to work everyday, go for yours!

Ouch.

That smarts.

• cubicle. So

its got a headphone jack so i wont be distributing people but i guarantee they have never seen this go down there.

fuck it...do it!!! I used to rock a portable at work...haha...it always got a laugh or two...definite conversation piece...

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts

if it's the kind of place where one of your coworker dresses like a klingon to work everyday, go for yours!

Ouch.

That smarts.

You're kind of a moron, aren't you?

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    do it.

don't do it man

Also, I'd get a feel for your co workers. My lollapalooza goin, co-workers, rock cornball music like NIN and Travis. And anytime I play some soul or jazz they think I am nuts. So I try to avoid alienating them.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Granted, a GP-3 ain't pulling you any Kardashian-level ass

Location location location

What about the Vestax? Should I even bother asking?

If it's a super corporate environment, I'd stick to the iPod in the Oxford pocket, but if it's laid back, well, it's laid back. For me, it'd be too much of a hastle to cycle in new records.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

You aint quite ms. congeniality either, sally.

- spidey

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Fej melba rocked up to my office today with his sick 70s bright orange portable and a stack of 45s.

the girls in the next office were less than impressed, but i was digging it.

badass.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    none of those young hotties in the office are going to think your mildewy old records are cool unless they are artschool freaks with dirty underwear.

OR
    artschool freaks with dirty underwear.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts

You aint quite ms. congeniality either, sally.

- spidey

Speak when you are spoken to, Buckwheat

don't do it man

Also, I'd get a feel for your co workers. My lollapalooza goin, co-workers, rock cornball music like NIN and Travis. And anytime I play some soul or jazz they think I am nuts. So I try to avoid alienating them.

fuck your co-workers...

alienation will lead you somewhere...it will show the top brass you are a take no prisoners dude...

don't do it man

fuck your co-workers...

alienation will lead you somewhere...it will show the top brass you are a take no prisoners dude...

Yeah, the distinction between "genius" and "anti-social wack job" can be pretty hazy. In certain work environments, unless you are signing their paycheck, "anti-social wackjob" would probably be the likely choice.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I brought a portable turntable into work at my last job (I work as a Network/Systems Admin). A few months later a coworker gave me around 300 records.