Heads of the Family: Spinning Wheel...on Melodi?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
So I recently bought this 7" off of eBay from Turkey, on the Melodi imprint...and as it turns out, I think it's actually the group Heads of the Family who put out "Sing and Play" on Ashire. I didn't recognize the name of the group at the time, but I figured, a $5 45 with covers of both "It's Your Thing" and "Spinning Wheel" is worth a gamble.The thing is...how did a British rock group end up having a PS 45 released in Turkey?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    So I recently bought this 7" off of eBay from Turkey, on the Melodi imprint...and as it turns out, I think it's actually the group Heads of the Family who put out "Sing and Play" on Ashire. I didn't recognize the name of the group at the time, but I figured, a $5 45 with covers of both "It's Your Thing" and "Spinning Wheel" is worth a gamble.

The thing is...how did a British rock group end up having a PS 45 released in Turkey?

That doesn't seem that out there. The Turks like to get down. Plus, Turkey is such a major crossroads of culture. I bet the place is crawling with local prints of Beatles records and lots of other groups. Doesn't seem much different than all those local Japaneese pressings of 60-70's rock you see around a lot. English speaking labels got distribution in lots of countires and had them pressed locally 1 Cuz I bet it's cheap and 2 So the language would be printed properly. You wouldn't want to mistraslate and insult people. I bet a lot of Muslim countries want to have control on some of this stuff so they can edit any questionable content.

Obviously this is total speculation..............

• BARIS MANCO

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    BTW........maybe Spinning Wheel was a favorite among the spinning dirvish groups (sp).

• I'm really waiting for somebody to do a compilation of turkish jazz with funky and modal leanings.

Tell all!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    turks have heat yo.

some dude on ebay was selling turkish records, he had sound files, that shit was funky! he even had this secret squirrel folk/funk record. sounded like demon fuzz on crack. think it went for about 300 too.

co sign on baris manco, need to find more of his records.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Any one have info on the Heads of the Family? Who were they, why does their one LP go for $50+?

Oliver

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Any one have info on the Heads of the Family? Who were they, why does their one LP go for $50+?

Oliver

$50 ?????

In a moment of madness paid ??10 for mine and felt like a fool after.
    I???ve had it a few years now and was thinking about E-Baying it off until I gave it a listen to check the condition and found its actually quite good.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Oliver

it does? legend has one now for 25. i just saw one go on ebay for about 5.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So I recently bought this 7" off of eBay from Turkey, on the Melodi imprint...and as it turns out, I think it's actually the group Heads of the Family who put out "Sing and Play" on Ashire. I didn't recognize the name of the group at the time, but I figured, a $5 45 with covers of both "It's Your Thing" and "Spinning Wheel" is worth a gamble.

The thing is...how did a British rock group end up having a PS 45 released in Turkey?

Why would you assume they were British?

I just figured that the Heads were a bunch of slumming studio musicians doing cheesy adaptations of the day's hits, just like the other rock & soul acts on Alshire (Little Joe Curtis, the Black Diamonds, Dr. Marigold's Prescription, the Haircuts & the Impossibles, etc.).

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Always liked that LP. Closer listening reveals some good musicians and arrangements.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Why would you assume they were British?

I just figured that the Heads were a bunch of slumming studio musicians doing cheesy adaptations of the day's hits, just like the other rock & soul acts on Alshire (Little Joe Curtis, the Black Diamonds, Dr. Marigold's Prescription, the Haircuts & the Impossibles, etc.).

Thnat was my bad - I did some prelim research on them and erronesouly read that they were Brits. Their cover of "Spinning Wheel" isn't bad at all though their rendition of "It's Your Thing" ain't the thing.

• Any one have info on the Heads of the Family? Who were they, why does their one LP go for $50+?

Oliver

it does? legend has one now for 25. i just saw one go on ebay for about 5.

this is a common dollarbin joint around my parts.