Who else on here who is now skinny...

2»

Comments

• im on a bad track now. I used to be a health nut and really watched my diet. Was like 200 lean though. Now im 225 and lost all that muscle i used to have. Alot of rough shit happened in the last year so didnt really focus on that shit and now im trying to get back on track.

But if you really want to loose weight and keep it off, you just have to learn how to eat right. changing your diet is critical.

Stick to straight whole grains (rolls, hoagies, bagels etc) get rid of white bread and watch out for just "wheat" products. Has to say Whole grain for it to be healthy.

eat fruits (rasberrys are great for you, blueberries, these are some of the best fruits to eat)

veges (broc and all the greens, try to get stuff with high fiber content)

cut out all the high fructose syrups (soda, candy, and tons of other shit is loaded with this. check ingredients and try to get shit with none in it. This fake sugar screws up your insulin system so you can consume tons of it and your body wont register as being full. Like how if you wanted to you could suck down a 2 liter of soda, but drink a 2 liter of water and feel stuffed)

all the trans fats (listed as partially hydrogenated fats in the ingredients. these are man made fats that your body doesnt process right so it just stores up in your body clogging your arteries like a mug. This shit is horrible for you and is in everything so read the label. if its high up on the ingred pass on it)

eat lean meats (chicken, turkey, 93% lean meat) for animal fat protein. also get whey protein and use it in a lot of stuff.

drink lots of milk everyday, eat lots of yougurt, calcium is shown to help loose weight by making your bodies metab kick harder while digesting it.

smoothies are bad ass. drink one every day. Use frozen berries instead of ice, lowfat milk, flax seed, lowfat yougurt, oatmeal, peanut butter, whatever)

get lots of fiber at least 2 to 4 grams a serving at every meal if possible. oatmeal is good for this. Flax seed is great to put in everything. Cereal, pasta, pizza, whatever.

make sure whatever serving you eat has only 5 grams of sugar. Anymore then get something else.

eat handfulls of almonds throughout the day. These are a great way to fill up with lots of protein and fiber. natural peanut butter is great also. stay away from anything salted or roasted.

eat organic everything if possible.

stay away from diet drinks, and start drinking green tea. i brew my own with just tap water, organic sugar, and make gallons out of old ice tea jugs. Drink lots a day to stay hydrated. Also cut out the booze. If you do drink, drink only 2 to 3 drinks a week. A know it sounds crazy but alcohol adds weight like a motherfucker. Not just from its caloric content but the hangover the next day where you want to eat some bullshit to soak it up. Or the late night miccy ds pig out. So if your serious cut out the booze. Drink vodka and diet shit or oj if you do go out. Stay away from the lager.

And also once a week cheat on your diet. Eat some crazy greasy shit that you plan for all week. Its good to do this so you wont fall back into binging on chips or other bullshit. Stay focused and plan that meal out every week and work towards it. It will keep you cool for the long run. Also switch it up all the time. There is so much healthy shit you can eat and make yourself at home so variety should be no problem. And basically everything you can eat can be substituted with whole grains, organics, in the recipe.

and the whole thing is to eat at least 6 times a day. eat something every two hours.
    Should go like snack, meal, snack, meal, snack, meal. You stay full this way, and your body burns off more calories by speeding up your metabolism while digesting.

The whole thing with with working out is to build up lean muscle. Lean muscle burns calories when you are resting so you will actually loose weight while chilling or sleeping. So when you hit the gym, instead of concentrating on small muscle groups, work on the big muscle groups. Back, chest, abs, legs, etc... This is real important if you are trying to loose weight. Work out everyother day and come up with a regimin that you can stick too. In between those days do cardio.

Also remember cardio is not as important as strength training. Its good for you but it only burns calories when your doing the cardio. Creating lean muscle from weight training burns calories for 24 hours after the exercise. That burn you feel is the muscle repairing itself which takes energy(calories) and protein to fix. So if you keep your muscles fatigued and in a constant state of repair you are perpetually buring calories and converting fat to muscle all day long. Its good to do carido in between your core workout, but dont worry about it so much. Also use free weights instead of machines. Machines your muscles can adapt too, so you want to switch it up all the time to work out different parts of the muscle.

If you switch it up like this you can loose almost 20 lbs in six weeks, and loose it the right way. Its hard but if you are serious and disciplined about how you eat and your workout schedule, its a breeze and you can do this your whole life. I taught a good friend how to do all this and he went from 250 to 165 in a year. And its really not that bad or a weird diet where you get bored or irritated with. think of it more as a lifestyle change instead of just a temporary diet.

damn....get a blog.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    im on a bad track now. I used to be a health nut and really watched my diet. Was like 200 lean though. Now im 225 and lost all that muscle i used to have. Alot of rough shit happened in the last year so didnt really focus on that shit and now im trying to get back on track.

But if you really want to loose weight and keep it off, you just have to learn how to eat right. changing your diet is critical.

Stick to straight whole grains (rolls, hoagies, bagels etc) get rid of white bread and watch out for just "wheat" products. Has to say Whole grain for it to be healthy.

eat fruits (rasberrys are great for you, blueberries, these are some of the best fruits to eat)

veges (broc and all the greens, try to get stuff with high fiber content)

cut out all the high fructose syrups (soda, candy, and tons of other shit is loaded with this. check ingredients and try to get shit with none in it. This fake sugar screws up your insulin system so you can consume tons of it and your body wont register as being full. Like how if you wanted to you could suck down a 2 liter of soda, but drink a 2 liter of water and feel stuffed)

all the trans fats (listed as partially hydrogenated fats in the ingredients. these are man made fats that your body doesnt process right so it just stores up in your body clogging your arteries like a mug. This shit is horrible for you and is in everything so read the label. if its high up on the ingred pass on it)

eat lean meats (chicken, turkey, 93% lean meat) for animal fat protein. also get whey protein and use it in a lot of stuff.

drink lots of milk everyday, eat lots of yougurt, calcium is shown to help loose weight by making your bodies metab kick harder while digesting it.

smoothies are bad ass. drink one every day. Use frozen berries instead of ice, lowfat milk, flax seed, lowfat yougurt, oatmeal, peanut butter, whatever)

get lots of fiber at least 2 to 4 grams a serving at every meal if possible. oatmeal is good for this. Flax seed is great to put in everything. Cereal, pasta, pizza, whatever.

make sure whatever serving you eat has only 5 grams of sugar. Anymore then get something else.

eat handfulls of almonds throughout the day. These are a great way to fill up with lots of protein and fiber. natural peanut butter is great also. stay away from anything salted or roasted.

eat organic everything if possible.

stay away from diet drinks, and start drinking green tea. i brew my own with just tap water, organic sugar, and make gallons out of old ice tea jugs. Drink lots a day to stay hydrated. Also cut out the booze. If you do drink, drink only 2 to 3 drinks a week. A know it sounds crazy but alcohol adds weight like a motherfucker. Not just from its caloric content but the hangover the next day where you want to eat some bullshit to soak it up. Or the late night miccy ds pig out. So if your serious cut out the booze. Drink vodka and diet shit or oj if you do go out. Stay away from the lager.

And also once a week cheat on your diet. Eat some crazy greasy shit that you plan for all week. Its good to do this so you wont fall back into binging on chips or other bullshit. Stay focused and plan that meal out every week and work towards it. It will keep you cool for the long run. Also switch it up all the time. There is so much healthy shit you can eat and make yourself at home so variety should be no problem. And basically everything you can eat can be substituted with whole grains, organics, in the recipe.

and the whole thing is to eat at least 6 times a day. eat something every two hours.
    Should go like snack, meal, snack, meal, snack, meal. You stay full this way, and your body burns off more calories by speeding up your metabolism while digesting.

The whole thing with with working out is to build up lean muscle. Lean muscle burns calories when you are resting so you will actually loose weight while chilling or sleeping. So when you hit the gym, instead of concentrating on small muscle groups, work on the big muscle groups. Back, chest, abs, legs, etc... This is real important if you are trying to loose weight. Work out everyother day and come up with a regimin that you can stick too. In between those days do cardio.

Also remember cardio is not as important as strength training. Its good for you but it only burns calories when your doing the cardio. Creating lean muscle from weight training burns calories for 24 hours after the exercise. That burn you feel is the muscle repairing itself which takes energy(calories) and protein to fix. So if you keep your muscles fatigued and in a constant state of repair you are perpetually buring calories and converting fat to muscle all day long. Its good to do carido in between your core workout, but dont worry about it so much. Also use free weights instead of machines. Machines your muscles can adapt too, so you want to switch it up all the time to work out different parts of the muscle.

If you switch it up like this you can loose almost 20 lbs in six weeks, and loose it the right way. Its hard but if you are serious and disciplined about how you eat and your workout schedule, its a breeze and you can do this your whole life. I taught a good friend how to do all this and he went from 250 to 165 in a year. And its really not that bad or a weird diet where you get bored or irritated with. think of it more as a lifestyle change instead of just a temporary diet.

damn....get a blog.

You mean

thanks for the tips man

• Excellent and informative post, lowend. Yes, it's long, but if you folks are looking for sound advice, you'd do well to print that one out and refer to it often. I cosign it. One thing I'll add: eat cottage cheese. It's really, really high in protein and calcium, very low in calories (especially the low-fat/fat-free varieties) and is also low in carbs. Add some crushed pineapple and/or almonds and it tastes great. I can't fade it straight outta the carton, though.

I was always super skinny, but after 30, my metabolism slowed waaaay down and I got up to 170 (I'm 5'10"). The Hogg was lookin' piggish--all jowly and shit. I started working out a lot and learning more and more about diet and exercise. (All this coincided with a scary cholesterol test/reality check, btw).

I lost 20 pounds between March and September of this year and got down to 145 (!), which is skinnier than I wanna be, but now I'm slowly adding weight in the form of muscle. And to you dudes out there who want to add muscle, know this: it is very, very difficult. Do NOT just try to "bulk up" and think you'll burn all the fat away later. It's a lot harder than you think it is.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I'm 6"4 & 175 pounds
    I tried every trick in the book
    I'm eating constantly
    but I simply can't get bigger
    how do you guys do it ?

• I'm 6"4 & 175 pounds
    I tried every trick in the book
    I'm eating constantly
    but I simply can't get bigger
    how do you guys do it ?

me either. If I could put on 10 lbs. that would be fresh.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Stop eating processed foods. That includes processed sausage, etc. Sorry, meat lovers. (Yes, this includes burgers, most ground beef, etc.)

Eat fat fish (salmon, tuna, etc.).

Lots of greens.

Baked, not grilled/fried (I personally cheat on this one though).

Cut out artificial sugar (i.e. sodas, candy, mass made chocolate, etc.). No white bread, no white rice, no white flour, etc.

Less beer ( :([/b] ), more clear liquors (regardless what Nas says).

Eat less calories than you burn.[/b]

Exercise in the morning, rather than late in the day. It gets your system going much sooner => you burn more calories on the whole. Following this sentiment, always eat breakfast!

Depending on your diet and goals... Want more muscles or less fat? Two different things...

Muscles? Eat carbs about a 1/2 hour before weightlifting, chocolate covered raisins, etc... followed by strict proteins after exercising. Eggs (hard boiled), tuna, etc. And just a side-note, for whom it may concern, you'll only get results from properly pushing yourselves. Make it a goal to exit your session literally trembling. Work one set of muscles per weekday (i.e. legs = Monday, triceps and biceps = Tuesday, chest = Wednesday, etc.

Less fat? Eat fruit before exercising. Drink water during. Cut out all drinks, basically, except water. Stay away from processed foods. Don't just burn, lift weights as well (to the maximum, not just lifting "stuff" you could easily lift, make it difficult on yourselves).

No trans-fats. Instead of fries, eat baked sweet potatoes, et. Instead of chips, eat nuts, etc.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (All this coincided with a scary cholesterol test/reality check, btw)

Thats what did it for me - I didn't even realize how big I'd gotten and might not have cared... but getting my blood tested and finding out that my cholesterol was high (and that this was a problem in my family) forced me to cut out eggs, butter, ice cream, etc (yes I was decadent in my 20s, it took a while to catch up w/me) and I quickly lost 20 lbs.

I am more and more picky about what I'll eat but since I still drink and don't exercise much I've leveled off for a while... I intend to work on both gradually and get more fit however.

• ok ya'll, I've never been overweight but I can tell you the gym is not the way to loose any (unless you are strictly eleptical and treadmill). Chances are you dudes are lifting too much, which builds muscle, which weighs WAY more than fat... CARDIO!!! and less calories (of healthy things that are colorfull and fresh)is what you need to drop lbs... especialy females looking to drop them, if you are of a body build less that 5'6"ish and look like a woman (not a 12 yr. old boy) you need to lift NO weights, just cardio and yoga...(my wife is a personal trainer, yoga instructor and massage therapist)

• Also remember cardio is not as important as strength training. Its good for you but it only burns calories when your doing the cardio. Creating lean muscle from weight training burns calories for 24 hours after the exercise. That burn you feel is the muscle repairing itself which takes energy(calories) and protein to fix. So if you keep your muscles fatigued and in a constant state of repair you are perpetually buring calories and converting fat to muscle all day long. Its good to do carido in between your core workout, but dont worry about it so much. Also use free weights instead of machines. Machines your muscles can adapt too, so you want to switch it up all the time to work out different parts of the muscle.

This is good info, but I think most people are prone to lift too much, lean muscle is most certainly built while doing cardio (run/bike/walk/row/climb farther/harder than you think you can and you'll see what I mean) sure it's great to get upper body strenght going, that's what yoga and other non weight bearing stuff is good for, push ups, pull ups crunches, ball work (a yo!), the human body does not need any weight besides it's own to build lean muscle. think about other mammals, how do the stay fit? Diet and cardio...

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    especialy females looking to drop them, if you are of a body build less that 5'6"ish and look like a woman (not a 12 yr. old boy) you need to lift NO weights, just cardio and yoga...(my wife is a personal trainer, yoga instructor and massage therapist)

What if you are a female over 5'7" , didn't get hips until well into your 20's and have weighed the same exact weight since age 12? The beers and drinking are getting to me now @ 28 and I have high blood pressure even though I am basically lean. I think I am one of those people that may still end up with heart problems and high cholesterol. I fairly eat well, but I don't work out.

Should I be runnin on a treadmill or sticking to low impact yoga routines?? Im active at my job and enjoy yard work but Im plagued by knee, back and joint issues so I think I need to gain strength?? but hitting the gym isn't really my thing. Even though Im not overweight and have never been I still wouldnt say that I am healthy by any means. Will push ups and crunches solve my problems?

Or should I just stick to the

BACON.

and do what Ive always done?

I wonder how much of it has to do with being a salty or sweet person? I would assume Salty = high BP/cholsterol. I'm actually more of a sweets kinda gal, that salty stuff doesnt do it for me.....so why do I have high blood pressure?

• hmm...I'll ask my wife tomorrow. I think you should stick to the yoga and add some cycling or spinning (both low impact, I bike commute every day) to get your heart rate up. But as I say I'll ask the wife. Also, knee back and joint pain? I think push ups and crucnches will be good for you, I get joint issues too (I'm 6'4")and I do these and am ok. Take glucosimine and chondrointon too, they work. And you KNOW bacon is bad for you, once a week...

• also, I don't do this as much as I should, but STRETCH every day.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    that would be cool. I need to learn more about the effects and differences between high BP and Chls. I know I need to gain strength without putting on gurth. I stretch almost everyday...the cats remind me to do it whenever they get up from a nap, I feel sooo much better when I do it prior to work, it makes a huge difference.

Ive been slacking on trying the Glucouse/condro intake for way too long. I know msm is good as well.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've grown way lazy in the exercise department. For decades I played basketball like a madman. Teenage years I was constantly active, lots of swimming, tons of weight lifting, I could eat 2 horses 6 times a day, take supplements and protein powder, and drink a 12 pack of beer, and never gain a pound over 175. Nowadays my exercise regimen consists of lifting, carrying, swinging, playing with a big 2 and a half year old bundle of boundless energy. My metabolsim has slowed down to snail's pace so I try to eat less, and I hardly ever drink, pushups and sit-ups whenever there's a free moment and I remember. Truth is I need to move back near the ocean as I'm a fish out of water. Body surfing and wade fishing...yep.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    nice story but I registered in 2005, after I had already lost most of the weight.
    on a side note, I have lived like that in Mexico though, culminating in me beating a 670 lb. marlin over the head with a baseball bat. I fed a whole village for a month.

no shit. Another story for another night.

That should be good. You were like hip hop jesus!

You know what scares me? The amazon. all the scariest things on earth are there. but so are lost cities of gold... so its tough....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Never been a fatty...but I did sympathetically plump up to 210 lbs when my wife was pregnant. Caught a frightening photo of myself in a swimming pool and went back down to my normal 190-195 lbs within a couple of weeks.

How???? I have been going to the gym for almost two months now and I am exactly the same weight as when I started. I am not trying to lose weight, more get healthy, but how can all this running and lifting not do a damn thing and you're dropping 20lbs in a wink?

For real, it's all about the diet you keep. And your metabolism. I was vegan for a few months and lost about 15 pounds. That was simply unhealthy as my static state is 150-155 pounds. Cutting out hydrogenated oils, and high fructose corn syrup really helps. So does drinking enough water, and eating enough fresh vegetables (never canned, or frozen).

• jyrijyri 24 Posts
    Never been a fatty...but I did sympathetically plump up to 210 lbs when my wife was pregnant. Caught a frightening photo of myself in a swimming pool and went back down to my normal 190-195 lbs within a couple of weeks.

How???? I have been going to the gym for almost two months now and I am exactly the same weight as when I started. I am not trying to lose weight, more get healthy, but how can all this running and lifting not do a damn thing and you're dropping 20lbs in a wink?

How long do you run and how many times a week? Gym training can also add lbs since muscle weights more than fats. And what's your diet?