Who else on here who is now skinny...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
used to be big and flabby?

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I was overweight for like three-four years -- maybe 3rd thru 6th grades. Very thin before and since, but being fat going into middle school isn't an experience I'll soon forget.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    used to be big and flabby?
    I'm slowly going in the other direction.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    About a year or 2 ago I was up to 202

Now I'm at 170 as of this morning.

Whenever I run into people I haven't seen in a while they're always like "wow, you lost a lot of weight!". One dude even said "damn, you lost a hundred pounds.".

thanks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Never been a fatty...but I did sympathetically plump up to 210 lbs when my wife was pregnant. Caught a frightening photo of myself in a swimming pool and went back down to my normal 190-195 lbs within a couple of weeks.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Never been a fatty...but I did sympathetically plump up to 210 lbs when my wife was pregnant. Caught a frightening photo of myself in a swimming pool and went back down to my normal 190-195 lbs within a couple of weeks.

How???? I have been going to the gym for almost two months now and I am exactly the same weight as when I started. I am not trying to lose weight, more get healthy, but how can all this running and lifting not do a damn thing and you're dropping 20lbs in a wink?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

How???? I have been going to the gym for almost two months now and I am exactly the same weight as when I started. I am not trying to lose weight, more get healthy, but how can all this running and lifting not do a damn thing and you're dropping 20lbs in a wink?

It seems to be a lot easier for men to drop weight quickly.

• 1999, started touring.

2002, had gained approx 40 lbs staying up all night, eating in the middle of the night, stress, beer, etc:

227 Lbs.

Stopped smoking, stopped eating red meat (and all animals bigger than me), cut out sugar, started exercising...basically got mental with it. Now i'm down to 160 (my ideal weight, but it still scares me sometimes that I could let myself go that quickly.

• My max was about 230. I got all the way down to 163 but right now I'm about 215.

• i used to weigh 260.

now we all know "Lithe" and sexy I am now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm at my max right now, 165ish. i'm comfortable with my weight. i could stand to lose 10-15 pounds but i can't be fucked at the moment.

• i dont mind being fat. but i am waaaaaaaay out of shape.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

During that crash program...I simply cut out sodas, ate 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches only for lunch during the week, and cut my typically big dinner serving sizes down a bit. And then just upped my exercise regimen a lil bit....actually from next to none to just a little basketball here and there along with a quick ride through the neighborhood with my daughter on the back of my bike every other day. And that's all it took, but I never should have been up above 200 lbs to begin with, so I think my body was more than happy to revert back to normal.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i used to weigh 260.

For real?

You can't be much more than 160 now.

• Never been a fatty...but I did sympathetically plump up to 210 lbs when my wife was pregnant. Caught a frightening photo of myself in a swimming pool and went back down to my normal 190-195 lbs within a couple of weeks.

Diet. Eating healthy is a little bit different than eating to lose weight. I lost 70 lbs once just by changing my diet and walking a lot. Never hit a gym (hate gyms) and never even went jogging. All-in-all that probably took about a year.

• but i can't be fucked at the moment.

you should let your girl know this.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Whenever I run into people I haven't seen in a while they're always like "wow, you lost a lot of weight!". One dude even said "damn, you lost a hundred pounds.".

thanks.

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm around 200-205 6'3", but I've always felt like a Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    , sometimes I'll look around a crowd and think "cot damn, I'm a beast!".

Wouldn't mind losing 10-15 lbs, I used to be a BEAN POLE though, hated it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i used to weigh 260.

For real?

seriously, I can't even imagine moist being in the 2 buck mark.

How long ago was this?

I'm dreaming of the day I tip the scales at 150

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    1999, started touring.

2002, had gained approx 40 lbs staying up all night, eating in the middle of the night, stress, beer, etc:

227 Lbs.

Stopped smoking, stopped eating red meat (and all animals bigger than me), cut out sugar, started exercising...basically got mental with it. Now i'm down to 160 (my ideal weight, but it still scares me sometimes that I could let myself go that quickly.
    Dude...this lifestyle is taking it's toll on my health too, but i think NY is the main culprit. I used to ride 500-800 miles a week back in Virginia. I cnt ride my bike anywhere here without getting my nerves in a birds nest. I wasn't diesel or anything, but i definitely wouldnt have taken an L in a scuffle. I'm finding it MUCH harder to back up my attitude nowadays. Smoking and drinking every night, whether in town or touring, have been taking their toll for the last 4 years

• I'm 6'0, and generally hover around the 170-180 lb mark. I stick to a vegan diet, don't eat much sweets, don't consume alcohol as much as some of you might think, and maybe drink 1-2 sodas a week. I do like to eat though, so I always have three squares/day and don't skimp on the portions though I am generally eating healthy.

So I started exercising a few months ago with the intention of slimming down. But I watched my weight stay firmly at 175 lbs regardless. Then I strained my back three weeks ago so I stopped exercising altogether to recover.

Within two weeks my weight had dropped to 168.

• i used to weigh 260.

For real?

seriously, I can't even imagine moist being in the 2 buck mark.

How long ago was this?

I'm dreaming of the day I tip the scales at 150

yeah man, just a lot of fast food and heavy el salvadorian cuisine growing up. My mom is a big girl (WATCH OUT!) so I just kind of got it from her....actually almost everyone on my mothers side of the family is big. But I basically got my shit together in 98 by becoming a vegetarian and more conscious of what I eat. I lost 20-40 pounds their. Then I'd say about 1 1/2 ago I joined the gym and really started losing weight by doing cardio.

Now I'm more just trying to fill out all that damn loose skin with heavier lifting and some Ross Hogg type of cardio.

not eating a burrito everynight helps as well.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    damn
    i used to be 160 pure muscle, 5% body fat, benchin 275. now im 145 and i think i would have trouble with 175. i do pushups but that aint the same as liftin weights 5 days a week.
    i just looked at a picture from that time and now im depressed
    i might as well be fat right now

• So I started exercising a few months ago with the intention of slimming down. But I watched my weight stay firmly at 175 lbs regardless. Then I strained my back three weeks ago so I stopped exercising altogether to recover.

Within two weeks my weight had dropped to 168.

muscle weighs more than fat. this happens to me all the time...or at least since i started eating healthy. the more i lift, the more i weigh. eating right is everything. fitness models and bodybuilders do almost no cardio.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

thanks.

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm around 200-205 6'3", but I've always felt like a Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    , sometimes I'll look around a crowd and think "cot damn, I'm a beast!".

Wouldn't mind losing 10-15 lbs, I used to be a BEAN POLE though, hated it.

I'm 5' 11". The main thing I did was scale back portion sizes, started eating something for breakfast instead of waiting until 2pm to gorge myself, cut out beer for the most part, went to the gym a bit (but I haven't been in a minute), stopped eating late, etc. I think the biggest thing is being conscious of what you eat.
    There's times when I'm away that I get buck, but as soon as I get back to my routine I lose the weight pretty easily.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    1999, started touring.

227 Lbs.

I've always thought that cover doesn't look like you at all.

Anyways, thats a nice story, but I remember going like this....

Somebody with Faux Rills' avatar throws zingers at you about your weight. In a mad fit of revenge and rage you hit the gym 3 times a day, tape a picture of Rills' avatar to the punching bag, and go to town. You quit smoking and stop eating animals bigger than you because you now kill your own food... with your bare hands. Coyotes, foxes, chickens... whatever. You start your own fight club. You eat lead and shit bullets. You karaoke without ever peeking at the lyrics screen. you...

actually I'm going to have to cut this short because its about time to head home, but trust me. The rest of the story is awesome. Especially the part where he kills a bear. with his teeth.

ok seriously, I'm fattening up like a fuck right now. its hard to get back into shape. arg. frustrating.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The main thing I did was scale back portion sizes

That's key for sure, small meals more frequently is the deal. It must be hard to eat smaller portions in the states, that shit is OUT OF CONTROL down there.

Sugar is the worst though, I cut that out for a month (and most carbs) and lost 15 lbs, couldn't believe it.

• nice story but I registered in 2005, after I had already lost most of the weight.
    on a side note, I have lived like that in Mexico though, culminating in me beating a 670 lb. marlin over the head with a baseball bat. I fed a whole village for a month.

no shit. Another story for another night.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    culminating in me beating a 670 lb. marlin over the head with a baseball bat. I fed a whole village for a month.

no shit. Another story for another night.
    !!!

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im on a bad track now. I used to be a health nut and really watched my diet. Was like 200 lean though. Now im 225 and lost all that muscle i used to have. Alot of rough shit happened in the last year so didnt really focus on that shit and now im trying to get back on track.

But if you really want to loose weight and keep it off, you just have to learn how to eat right. changing your diet is critical.

Stick to straight whole grains (rolls, hoagies, bagels etc) get rid of white bread and watch out for just "wheat" products. Has to say Whole grain for it to be healthy.

eat fruits (rasberrys are great for you, blueberries, these are some of the best fruits to eat)

veges (broc and all the greens, try to get stuff with high fiber content)

cut out all the high fructose syrups (soda, candy, and tons of other shit is loaded with this. check ingredients and try to get shit with none in it. This fake sugar screws up your insulin system so you can consume tons of it and your body wont register as being full. Like how if you wanted to you could suck down a 2 liter of soda, but drink a 2 liter of water and feel stuffed)

all the trans fats (listed as partially hydrogenated fats in the ingredients. these are man made fats that your body doesnt process right so it just stores up in your body clogging your arteries like a mug. This shit is horrible for you and is in everything so read the label. if its high up on the ingred pass on it)

eat lean meats (chicken, turkey, 93% lean meat) for animal fat protein. also get whey protein and use it in a lot of stuff.

drink lots of milk everyday, eat lots of yougurt, calcium is shown to help loose weight by making your bodies metab kick harder while digesting it.

smoothies are bad ass. drink one every day. Use frozen berries instead of ice, lowfat milk, flax seed, lowfat yougurt, oatmeal, peanut butter, whatever)

get lots of fiber at least 2 to 4 grams a serving at every meal if possible. oatmeal is good for this. Flax seed is great to put in everything. Cereal, pasta, pizza, whatever.

make sure whatever serving you eat has only 5 grams of sugar. Anymore then get something else.

eat handfulls of almonds throughout the day. These are a great way to fill up with lots of protein and fiber. natural peanut butter is great also. stay away from anything salted or roasted.

eat organic everything if possible.

stay away from diet drinks, and start drinking green tea. i brew my own with just tap water, organic sugar, and make gallons out of old ice tea jugs. Drink lots a day to stay hydrated. Also cut out the booze. If you do drink, drink only 2 to 3 drinks a week. A know it sounds crazy but alcohol adds weight like a motherfucker. Not just from its caloric content but the hangover the next day where you want to eat some bullshit to soak it up. Or the late night miccy ds pig out. So if your serious cut out the booze. Drink vodka and diet shit or oj if you do go out. Stay away from the lager.

And also once a week cheat on your diet. Eat some crazy greasy shit that you plan for all week. Its good to do this so you wont fall back into binging on chips or other bullshit. Stay focused and plan that meal out every week and work towards it. It will keep you cool for the long run. Also switch it up all the time. There is so much healthy shit you can eat and make yourself at home so variety should be no problem. And basically everything you can eat can be substituted with whole grains, organics, in the recipe.

and the whole thing is to eat at least 6 times a day. eat something every two hours.
    Should go like snack, meal, snack, meal, snack, meal. You stay full this way, and your body burns off more calories by speeding up your metabolism while digesting.

The whole thing with with working out is to build up lean muscle. Lean muscle burns calories when you are resting so you will actually loose weight while chilling or sleeping. So when you hit the gym, instead of concentrating on small muscle groups, work on the big muscle groups. Back, chest, abs, legs, etc... This is real important if you are trying to loose weight. Work out everyother day and come up with a regimin that you can stick too. In between those days do cardio.

Also remember cardio is not as important as strength training. Its good for you but it only burns calories when your doing the cardio. Creating lean muscle from weight training burns calories for 24 hours after the exercise. That burn you feel is the muscle repairing itself which takes energy(calories) and protein to fix. So if you keep your muscles fatigued and in a constant state of repair you are perpetually buring calories and converting fat to muscle all day long. Its good to do carido in between your core workout, but dont worry about it so much. Also use free weights instead of machines. Machines your muscles can adapt too, so you want to switch it up all the time to work out different parts of the muscle.

If you switch it up like this you can loose almost 20 lbs in six weeks, and loose it the right way. Its hard but if you are serious and disciplined about how you eat and your workout schedule, its a breeze and you can do this your whole life. I taught a good friend how to do all this and he went from 250 to 165 in a year. And its really not that bad or a weird diet where you get bored or irritated with. think of it more as a lifestyle change instead of just a temporary diet.

• High Fructose Corn Syrup gets the gas face!! Also beware of Partially Hydrogenated Oils. That shit is in everything! Today I eat mostly brown rice, quinoa, various green veggies, etc.. I have had an off/on thing with eating fish and/or chicken. It's pretty much on with both, but I eat them baked/grilled instead of fried.

I used to eat like shit though when I was younger. I cut out pork when I was 17. Since then I gradually started eating healthier over time..still room for improvement, but I've come a long way.

oh yeah, I'm 5'6", and 135 lbs. with Timberlands on.

this is the most I've ever weighed. Even when I ate 3 super size mcdonalds fries, pizza, pop tarts, etc. on a regular basis, I think back then I weighed about 122-127. Guess I got High-Speed Metabolism.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i fluctuate between 175-195 all the time, but lately ive been keepin' it in the middle at a steady 180-185....but i was definitely a chubster in middle and high school. no girls for me back then.

id really like to either lose a little weight or just get in shape. im not fat by any means but ive got my share of flab!

congrats to all dudes on here who have really got down and dirty and made it to their weight goals. i admire your self-control.