PORTER WAGONER R.I.P.

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
This country legend unfortunately just passed away. And earlier this year, he had released his first album in a long time, too...This 1967 LP is not the album that was released this year, but Porter was known as much for his freaky album covers as for his often-oddball music, and The Cold Hard Facts Of Life is usually considered to be Exhibit A...

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The last line of this 1954 hit song says it all.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If there's a whiskey still in heaven, Porter Wagoner will truly be at peace.

One of the better covers ever, IMO.

Post up your mp3s, folks. Wagoner was one of the best descendants of "true country." Hank Williams Sr. would've been proud.

• This from the New York Times obit:

Wagoner, who sported a pompadour until he changed his hairstyle to curls, annoyed some Opry performers when he invited Soul Music King James Brown to perform on a stage not regularly graced by black performers.

At the time, Wagoner said he invited Brown to add to the Opry's reputation and "I hope none of the opposition by some members was racial but people have a problem accepting anything that's new."

He was also criticized by some for producing an album by soul artist Joe Simon to which he replied that "that's strange because there is such a similarity between black music and country music."[/b]

I'd never heard either of those things. I just picked up the 'Rubber Room' comp a few months ago.

'George Leroy Chickashea' =

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    THE COLD HARD FACTS OF LIFE, for those here that aren't aware.

• what!?! oh man i really liked dude and the joints he did with dolly. so sad. RIP

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Here's some good ole' honkeytonk drinkin tunes.

Do I hear the bakersfield sound in these?

"I'll Go Down Swinging"

"Turn the Jukebox Up Louder"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    what!?! oh man i really liked dude and the joints he did with dolly. so sad. RIP

Damn, I like those Dolly duet LPs too....

R.I.P.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Here's some good ole' honkeytonk drinkin tunes.

Do I hear the bakersfield sound in these?

"I'll Go Down Swinging"

If only those Nashville studio guys would have cut loose and given the guitar more leeway, "...Swinging" would have been straight-up no-nonsense Bakersfield. Buck Owens & the Buckaroos woulda tore that one up.

Seek out 1961's "Heartbreak Affair," which has "Everly Brothers" written all over it and could have been a crossover pop hit, if it weren't buried on a B-side. It later appeared on the album Your Old Love Letters & Other Country Hits on RCA Camden (RCA Victor's in-house budget label).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Does anyone have the Porter & Dolly version of
    "Dark End of the Street" available? I'll rip a
    few things tonight, but I'd love to hear that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Does anyone have the Porter & Dolly version of
    "Dark End of the Street" available? I'll rip a
    few things tonight, but I'd love to hear that.

Dark End Of The Street