CAPETOWN DIGGING SPOTS ????

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be in Capetown/ Southafrica next week. Does anybody know about some digging spots to pick up some local funk tunes ????PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• There are three spots in Cape Town.

One is at the end of Long St., across from a gas station.

The second is in the observatory area. Ask the spot on Long St. for the address.

The third is in a shopping mall. Either one of those spots should know the name of the mall.

If you are stopping in Johannesburg for a minute....hit up Blue Note Records. I think it???s near the U.S. Embassy.

Make sure to hit up the Cape Flats to see some of the illest graffiti in Africa.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    One is at the end of Long St., across from a gas station.

The second is in the observatory area. Ask the spot on Long St. for the address.

OK, I heard this long street is something like the Broadway of Capetown. I'll check it out.

Make sure to hit up the Cape Flats to see some of the illest graffiti in Africa.

I'm there for the Write 4 Gold Graffiti contest, so all those ill graff motherfuckers will come to me !!!!

Peace and thanks for sharing the info !!
    Hawkeye

• Exactly! Mr. Delmont knows the deal!

The one at the end of the Long Street is Mabu Vinyl...that one has some a nice jazz and funk/soul section and even some good hip hop records from the good old days. I pulled some hard to find gems out there like the first Diamond D 12", some old EdoG. stuff and so on...

The other shop in the mall is near the Cavendish Mall and the name is Vibes Vinyl.
    The old dude standing in there is really cool and knows a LOT abaout music. He has lots of Jazz/Funk/Soul too but he even has a nice Blues and Rock section and some native African music.

The third shop is in Observatory, He has also a nice selection and you are able to pull some real gems out the boxes...unfortunateley i don??t remember the name.

Thhere are also some other smaller spots that may have some seccond hand piles but the best thing are the auctions in the harbour! Its not a specific vinyl auction but sometimes some dudes show up and you can buy a fat stack not knowing what you get... this is too funny and you are able to get some nice stuff...

Happy hunting and keep some good stuff in the boxes since i??m heading to Cape Town in a month too...

• GoblahGoblah 35 Posts
    Mabu Vinyl has moved. It used to be located at the intersection where Long Street meets Kloof St. It can now be found just off Kloof Street on Rheede Street.

Happy digging.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

If you are stopping in Johannesburg for a minute....hit up Blue Note Records. I think it???s near the U.S. Embassy.

I'm doing just that this december; any other spots you know of?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    there also used to be a guy that would set up at Greenmarket on the weekends....

Mabu vinyl was ok... is that the place that used to be in a sort of thrift shop, in the back? i think the guy's name was Jacques or something like that. really nice guy.

happy hunting.