The Holy Disciples of Chicago, IL

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I snagged a sealed copy of this LP ("My Soul Needs Resting") for $6 about a year back and I know that it's fairly sought-after. I like the song "After Every Dark Cloud" and think that It might be time to see what the other tracks have in store for me.Do I crack it open or not?

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    NATCH
    CRACK IT AND RIP IT

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Open Sesame

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I finally cracked open a couple sealed records I'd had for a while recently and was glad I did...

• Pro-crack over here!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    dont know that music (looks great), but i do think "mint" is actually preferable to SS, because you can verify whats in there and theres no warps etc. And it stays mint so long as you treat it nice. i think SS is probably only a $ boost to certain classic rock type albums - OG beatles etc, where the collectros arent really collecting to enjoy the music anymore, they just want the perfect copy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I snagged a sealed copy of this LP ("My Soul Needs Resting") for $6 about a year back and I know that it's fairly sought-after. I like the song "After Every Dark Cloud" and think that It might be time to see what the other tracks have in store for me.

Do I crack it open or not?

Is a bullfrog waterproof? Of course, ya crack it open! Were you gonna try to put this on eBay? If not, then what's the use of starin' at a soundless album cover?

• I'M HIJACKING THIS THREAD
    DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID AND I WON'T HURT YOU

Strange, just played a Holy Disciples track on the radio last night, a 45 on Song Bird called "Trying to Make a Hundred." Same group? (See announcements board...)

Strange, just played a Holy Disciples track on the radio last night, a 45 on Song Bird called "Trying to Make a Hundred." Same group? (See announcements board...)

Strange, I have a gospel 45 with that same title on some other label, probably a homegrown Chicago thing...wish I could remember the group's name, but since a lot of those gospel-group names with all the adjectives and whatnot ("the Sensational Dynamic Holy Mighty Imperial Gospel Vibranaires Singers of Newark, New Jersey") look kinda generic after awhile, you tend to forget who is who.

EDIT: I think I remember now...the "Trying To Make A Hundred" I have is by the Inspirational Souls (I think?) on the Gospel Corner label (a division of Kent)...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'M HIJACKING THIS THREAD
    DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID AND I WON'T HURT YOU

Indeed it is. They also released "Perfect Day" and "Crying Tears Of Joy" prior to this album. This is a 1980 release on Abec Records. I'm interested in their early singles, because

I just opened this LP and it's blowing my MIND.

Earl Cage Jr's production is truly for a gospel record. Tracks like "Voice Inside (Go On)" are oddly staged, but completely work. Songs like "Reality" - although a take-it-or-leave-it song on its own merits - at least has a great bounce factor. Overall, the group is in a great, soulful voice. I made a good choice.

Good to see you on the board again, Dr. Finewine. I'd like to see you again when you're in Chicago. I've got some gospel to play for you. Heh.

• the Sensational Dynamic Holy Mighty Imperial Gospel Vibranaires Singers of Newark, New Jersey

Dude, you have that???

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    the Sensational Dynamic Holy Mighty Imperial Gospel Vibranaires Singers of Newark, New Jersey

Dude, you have that???

Yeah, I really need to holler at that if he does.

the Sensational Dynamic Holy Mighty Imperial Gospel Vibranaires Singers of Newark, New Jersey

Dude, you have that???

Yeah, I really need to holler at that if he does.

Y'all never heard that? DJ Kool Mac & Hypeski Moe Dee sampled that in 1986.

• haven't earned my doctorate yet, luck...still just a MR.

no plans for chicago at the moment, but will be spinning at brad hales' ann arbor thing december 7 and with mr. noble in milwaukee new year's eve....surrounding chicago, see, without ever actually going there.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    haven't earned my doctorate yet, luck...still just a MR.

no plans for chicago at the moment, but will be spinning at brad hales' ann arbor thing december 7 and with mr. noble in milwaukee new year's eve....surrounding chicago, see, without ever actually going there.

A hem-of-its-garment tour, eh?

I know that it's Mister, but considering your chops, doctor seems more apropos.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Picked this one up last week for 45cents! DAMNS>>>

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Picked this one up last week for 45cents! DAMNS>>>

So I guess that means that you liked it?

• I own some of thier lps. Some good sounding stuff. The one you got there is dope. open it.