why?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
having been a passionate poster in various past movie threads, why did I never get any response when mentioning this phenomenal master piece?Come on, the soundtrack alone...was there ever an OST release?Come on, someone out there has got to have some love for this milestone:

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Oh and Mr. Ebert, for all that I am concerned, you can put your 1/2 thumb up there where the sun don't shine.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    damn, looks enticing, is it on DVD yet?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    yes! I bet you can even order it through amazon

I don't know... I mean it's directed by Dennis Hopper who "acts" in it (from what I read in interviews he was just being himself at the time).It has some amazing late 70s live punk rock show footage (never figured out what band it was, someone told me a long time ago but I was too drunk to remember the next day)

I always thought "maybe it's too obvious" but if that's not the case, you guys need to check it out for real.

I saw this in my early teens on german late night television and it blew my little mind to pieces.

Neil Young wrote the title song:

"Out Of The Blue"

My my, hey hey
    Rock and roll is here to stay
    It's better to burn out
    Than to fade away
    My my, hey hey.

Out of the blue
    and into the black
    They give you this,
    but you pay for that
    And once you're gone,
    you can never come back
    When you're out of the blue
    and into the black.

The king is gone
    but he's not forgotten
    This is the story
    of a Johnny Rotten
    It's better to burn out
    than it is to rust
    The king is gone
    but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
    Rock and roll can never die
    There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye.
    Hey hey, my my.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Oh and Mr. Ebert, for all that I am concerned, you can put your 1/2 thumb up there where the sun don't shine.

Uh, it's not like he gave it a 1/2 star....you really think this is a 4 star flick? It's been like 10 years since I saw it, but I liked it more in theory than in actuality. The main kid is just that, an amateur kid actor who is interesting but a little wooden. The story is bleak, period. I recently found the DVD at a library sale, so I need to watch it with Hopper's commentary, see what he has to say about it.

• Hmmm, i've never even heard of this movie. Thanks for the post..i'll have to see if Netflix carries it.

• Oh and Mr. Ebert, for all that I am concerned, you can put your 1/2 thumb up there where the sun don't shine.

Uh, it's not like he gave it a 1/2 star....you really think this is a 4 star flick? It's been like 10 years since I saw it, but I liked it more in theory than in actuality. The main kid is just that, an amateur kid actor who is interesting but a little wooden. The story is bleak, period. I recently found the DVD at a library sale, so I need to watch it with Hopper's commentary, see what he has to say about it.

That's Linda Manz who was in 'The Wanderers'. She was quite the indie darling (20 years before there was such a thing), and then pretty much vanished. I wonder what she's up to now...

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    frank,
    i got a lot of love for this film.
    actually, i just watched it the other day coming off a miserable cold. it's very harsh and dark, but i made it to the end... was seen dancing around my apt singing, "oh let me be, your teddy bear..." much to the chagrin of my girlfriend...
    a couple of years back i copped a grip of this title on DVD for $2 (unlicensed version likely). been giving em out for gifts...
    it was filmed in vancouver in the early 80s, a town where i spent most of my life...
    it's rad to see the sights and scenes like the shot of main and hastings w/ the elvis impersonator (junkie capital of the world, real rough area). maple ridge bowling alley, the dude's resto was a tex-mex place for years called carlo's and bud's, shit dive bars, burrard street street fighting bit...
    the infamous van punk scene is also documented in it in the most rad way. pointed sticks at the smilin' buddha cabaret no less...
    it's just such a raw flick. love to learn more about its making. imagine hopper was actually gonzo'd while making it too which makes it a little more gritty...
    brutal flick... you may recognize the girl (cebe/cindy played by linda manz) from gummo where she played solomon's mom...

raw shit...

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    kill all hippies!!!