Watcha sayin'with saggy pants?

YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
That bastion of street cred monitoring, BBC Radio 4's "The World Tonight" ran a story today about a rapper called "DOONEY 'Da Priest'??? (ever heard of him?) and his rap "Pull up your pants". Hitting google, I realise that there are some campaigns in the USA to get people to do just that. I dress "conservatively" and never liked saggy pants, but I don't care if people want to look stupid by my subjective taste. But Bro is making an interesting claim: If people knew where the fashion came from, they wouldn't do it in the first place: He says it's a prison way of signaling your availability to other inmates for a hump from behind.True?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i heard that inmates are not allowed to wear belts --> saggy pants

so wearing saggy pants = being a bad prison boy

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

He says it's a prison way of signaling your availability to other inmates for a hump from behind.

No--that's just a tired myth that clueless old people love to perpetuate.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    From what I've read on the Internets, this trend "has its origins in the prohibition of belts among incarcerated inmates," according to wikipedia.

The rumour of signalling sexual availability in prison is false, according to Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp)

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I spent last weekend trying on regular sized jeans, and I couldn't even get them over my calfs. In my case saggy jeans declare "I have ridiculously misshapen legs and nothing else fits." What do skinny leg jeans say about their wearers?

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

sorry i didnt read this on the internet though...

How can you possibly know it then?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    From what I've read on the Internets,

HAHAHAHAHAHA! ... yeah, for real ... too funny ...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    From what I've read on the Internets,

Killer Mike already told us, "And al you preachers quit spreadin the myth that people who slack they pants picked that shit up in jail to let motherfuckers know they homosexual, you and your f****t sick twisted mind know that aint true. We wear our pants big cause we were too poor to afford our size and our mothers had to buy a size up. Call it what you want n***a, its poverty. Poverty. You know the opposite of the big ass planes and cars you drive."

• From what I've read on the Internets,

Killer Mike already told us, "And al you preachers quit spreadin the myth that people who slack they pants picked that shit up in jail to let motherfuckers know they homosexual, you and your f****t sick twisted mind know that aint true. We wear our pants big cause we were too poor to afford our size and our mothers had to buy a size up. Call it what you want n***a, its poverty. Poverty. You know the opposite of the big ass planes and cars you drive."

Any Killer Mike quote on Soulstrut gets my seal of approval.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

"I have no dignity and self respect. I will do almost anything to satify my impulses."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

"I have no dignity and self respect. I will do almost anything to satify my impulses."

Who are you quoting?

• I spent last weekend trying on regular sized jeans, and I couldn't even get them over my calfs.

keep tugging, it can be done.

• i really don't get the argument in favor of sagging pants past your ass. who cares where it originated, its one thing to slouch, and quite another to let your ass and balls hang out. thats what people are trying to prevent. pull em up.

as for making laws against sagging your jeans...that is ridiculous and unconstitutional. most cities already have laws against indecent exposure...in case people choose to sag while going commando.

• I'm too old to pull off rocking saggy pants. As an ageing B-boy its

These days its all about One True Saxon jeans all the way...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

He says it's a prison way of signaling your availability to other inmates for a hump from behind.

No--that's just a tired myth that clueless old people love to perpetuate.
    mb in your neck of the woods...

also, wearing socks pulled up over your knees w/ shorts was done to avoid the being branded gay & to show as lil skin as possible...

sorry i didnt read this on the internet though...

But my glorification of prison mates tells me otherwise! and I read that off of Wikipedia too!

I spent last weekend trying on regular sized jeans, and I couldn't even get them over my calfs.

keep tugging, it can be done.

I went two sizes bigger and still couldn't do it. I'll get there one day, but I need a solid plan I think. The most form fitting ones I could get on reduced my girlfriend to hysterics and the shop assitant was speechless. Square peg round hole really.

If they tried to outlaw them, would there be some sort of measurement system? How much sag is legal?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I spend a lot of time telling kids to pull up their pants, the rule is simple at my high school- No underwear can be showing. That goes for guys and girls- thongs, boxers, bra straps whatever.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I fuckin' hate that shit when dudes are like 25 and you could see their boxer briefs hugging their asscheeks all nicely and shit .

hugging their asscheeks all nicely and shit.

• I spend a lot of time telling kids to pull up their pants, the rule is simple at my high school- No underwear can be showing. That goes for guys and girls- thongs, boxers, bra straps whatever.

S

T

O

P

S

N

I

T

C

H

I

N

G

most prisons and JDCs in VA provide elastic pants.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I think as with most things fashion, saggy pants actually do look good and cool on very, very few people.
    Many times you see guys struggling with keeping them from from descending down to their knees, pulling them up an inch or so every few steps... that shit is juts plain ridiculous and had me turn my vision in another direction to keep from bursting out in loud laughter on several occasions.
    How do you actually keep them in place? Carpet tape?
    Or do folks use implanted pushbuttons like Warhols is rumored to have used to keep his wig in place?
    Then you have the added problem that the lower part of the legs become all fucked up, brown and grimy cause the wearer constantly steps on them.

Now if everything is just right, the built of the wearer, the width and length of the jeans, the sort of boxers he's wearing and what kind of shirt. Then you will get an acceptable result. Most times this actually does happen is in video clips. Reality as often is much uglier and unforgiving than television.

What I find massively disturbing are all those girls who really, really can't afford it figure wise rocking those lowriders... I mean, don't you have a mirror in your house? Or don't you have any self respect? Or do you want to have people turn around after you in laughter just to get any kind of reaction?

I don't understand these things but I never find them offensive and often times very amusing.

Then you have the added problem that the lower part of the legs become all fucked up

Rubberbands

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I usually just think its funny. Especially when they try to run. Then its just hilarious.