Eddie Van Tonedeaf

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
You knew this tour would be a failure.....but WTF!!!

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    dude?

what the fuck was that?

• dude?

what the fuck was that?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Wow, that makes spinal tap look good.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Wow, that makes this 12 year old girl look good.

• So what happens when you???re Van Halen, the last song in your set list is the million-seller ???Jump??? with its synthesizer-keyboard opening???and the recording you???re using to play back the synth is accidentally run at 48K instead of 44.1K?[/b]

What happens could be this (recorded in Greensboro, NC four days ago):

I can???t tell which is funnier, this long-hated cheesebag-anthem turned into a much more interesting, atonal mess in front of thousands of paying customers or the hilarious soldiering on of the Van Halens as they look at each other from inside the trainwreck. Eddie tries to transpose on the fly and match the wildly fucked up keyboards but the great thing there is the difference in pitch is non-musical - about 1.5 semitones sharp. So there???s no frets he can choose to fix the problem![/quote

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Could you imagine the ass kicking the soundguy got right after that? That would truly be awesome.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That was rad.

WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF

• WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF

I feel like I'm watching an anonymous guitar center solo with piped-in applause instead of eying-the-door-ing.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If we're gonna get into the SHREDS videos,
    my absolute favorite is the Jake E. Lee one:

• If we're gonna get into the SHREDS videos,

Dude, that cracked me up! Singer is making sounds like Captain Caveman...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    If we're gonna get into the SHREDS videos,

My boy sent me this the other day. Ozzy's offbeat ass clapping cracks me up every single time!
    [color:white]I bet someone quotes "ass clapping." [/color]

• Even if that shit would have been in tune, they still make asses of themselves by humping that gigantic inflatable mic at the end.
    What a crap performance.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Not sure how a tour that's 95% sold out can be considered a failure. They get paid regardless of how good or bad it sounds.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I saw this a while back, after a friend who's a big EVH fan sent it to me. We concluded that it's his guitar tech who's at fault here. He probably has one guitar tuned at the correct pitch for "Jump", with the rest of the show played on a guitar at regular concert pitch. I think the tech just handed him the wrong guitar, and now has plenty of free time to reflect upon his mistake.

• I saw this a while back, after a friend who's a big EVH fan sent it to me. We concluded that it's his guitar tech who's at fault here. He probably has one guitar tuned at the correct pitch for "Jump", with the rest of the show played on a guitar at regular concert pitch. I think the tech just handed him the wrong guitar, and now has plenty of free time to reflect upon his mistake.

I was thinking the same thing but how much time does it take to change guitars? He could have easily taken another guitar...

• I saw this a while back, after a friend who's a big EVH fan sent it to me. We concluded that it's his guitar tech who's at fault here. He probably has one guitar tuned at the correct pitch for "Jump", with the rest of the show played on a guitar at regular concert pitch. I think the tech just handed him the wrong guitar, and now has plenty of free time to reflect upon his mistake.

I was thinking the same thing but how much time does it take to change guitars? He could have easily taken another guitar...

if you read the blog that Marco posted, the Keyboard was fucked up...in a key that doesnt actually exsist..so no guitar could have been tuned, at least on the fly backstage, to match the keyboard pitch....Eddie, Im sure,tried to transpose it when he heard it but it wasnt a simple sharp/flat situation...

Not sure how a tour that's 95% sold out can be considered a failure. They get paid regardless of how good or bad it sounds.

Failure as in.....the shows would suck/the tour would end early.

Why does David Lee walk like he always has a load of crap in his pants??

OK....it was the guitar techs fault....the keys were out of tune....but how the fuck do you explain this????

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    [color:white]I bet someone quotes "ass clapping." [/color]

ASS CLAPPING!!!

RAD!

LOLZ ROYCE!

ROFLCOPTER!

:5pager:

[color:white]Did i miss any inappropriate graemlins? [/color]

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I saw this a while back, after a friend who's a big EVH fan sent it to me. We concluded that it's his guitar tech who's at fault here. He probably has one guitar tuned at the correct pitch for "Jump", with the rest of the show played on a guitar at regular concert pitch. I think the tech just handed him the wrong guitar, and now has plenty of free time to reflect upon his mistake.

if you read the blog that Marco posted, the Keyboard was fucked up...in a key that doesnt actually exsist..so no guitar could have been tuned, at least on the fly backstage, to match the keyboard pitch....Eddie, Im sure,tried to transpose it when he heard it but it wasnt a simple sharp/flat situation...

I did read it, but there's a link to a more detailed discussion on the same page, and nobody posting on that thread seemed to have a conclusive answer either. Listening to it again, it's funny how DLR clearly thinks he's the one out of tune and tries to get in key with EVH, which makes the whole thing sound even worse. Also, the key probably does exist - it's just not a Western scale, and unless Van Halen has started experimenting with microtonality, they probably don't have too many songs in that key.

• OK....it was the guitar techs fault....the keys were out of tune....but how the fuck do you explain this????

there is a whole series of youtube videos where someone has overdubbed very bad guitar playing matching the hands of lots of well know guitar players...the dude that does this is a genius...you should check out the Eric Clapton one:

Hook-Up......good insight...and that dude is a genius for sure.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think a number of people in the comments section of that blog disprove the out-of-tune-keys theory by pointing out that the keys are the same pitch in other concert videos of the same tour. It was probably the guitar.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think a number of people in the comments section of that blog disprove the out-of-tune-keys theory by pointing out that the keys are the same pitch in other concert videos of the same tour. It was probably the guitar.

But doesn't someone else post another vid where the
    synth is in a notably different key, and the guitar
    sounds right?

Unfortunately, nobody can help David Lee Roth's shot voice.

I would still totally go to this show, if it weren't a) sold out
    and b) $75 for the CHEAPEST seat!

The funniest thing with the youtube vids is all the comments
    talking about how much they need Sammy Hagar back - it's like
    all 8 members of the Van Hagar fan club have banded together to
    flood the youtube comments sections

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Why does David Lee walk like he always has been recently gang raped by a dozen well hung horses?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Top Five David Lee Roth Quotes!

5. People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage.

4. He who knows how will always work for he who knows why.

3. The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza.

2. Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.

1. I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

• 6. I'm an optimist. When I go fishing, I bring a Nikon and a frying pan.