Grimey Food Spots

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
spots that got great food but look like they never would pass a health inspectionfeel free to rep for your taco truckWhite Manna (Hackensack NJ)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_MannaFleetwood ( Ann Arbor MI)http://jim.rees.org/fleet/Bens Chili Bowl (DC)http://www.benschilibowl.com/

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    one of the best sushi spots in LA - Nozawa - is on that tip....and that place is highly highly regarded as the real deal.

Other than that - Chilli John's has the feel....but that shit is

• AH yes, the Fleetwood. Many late night drunken meals were eaten there. Some really damn good food, and excellent people watching.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    My favorite grimey food spot is about 40 miles into Sierra Leone on the Conakry-Freetown highway. Local women carry plastic bowls on their head that are covered with a piece of cloth. Inside are chunks of cane rat, simmered in red palm oil and spiced up with some red habanero pepper and various herbs. It looks very dangerous as they basically just remove the guts and then hack the whole animal including all the bones into chunks with a machete. The taste however is phenomenal, especially since the splintered bones are simmered with the meat, the taste ins very intense but not gamelike unpleasant, the meat is very tender, only problem is that you constantly have to spit out pieces of bone...

Never got sick once from eating at roadside stalls.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    every waffle house in ATLANTA!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Fleetwood ( Ann Arbor MI)

http://jim.rees.org/fleet/

the Hippy Hash is fantastic.

• every waffle house in THE ENTIRE SOUTHERN UNITED STATES[/b]

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    every waffle house in THE ENTIRE SOUTHERN UNITED STATES[/b]

• White Manna (Hackensack NJ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Manna

White Manna (Hackensack NJ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Manna

Delicious.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My favorite grimey food spot is about 40 miles into Sierra Leone on the Conakry-Freetown highway. Local women carry plastic bowls on their head that are covered with a piece of cloth. Inside are chunks of cane rat, simmered in red palm oil and spiced up with some red habanero pepper and various herbs. It looks very dangerous as they basically just remove the guts and then hack the whole animal including all the bones into chunks with a machete. The taste however is phenomenal, especially since the splintered bones are simmered with the meat, the taste ins very intense but not gamelike unpleasant, the meat is very tender, only problem is that you constantly have to spit out pieces of bone...

I just looked these guys up, they're like a medium small dog in size! What was said is they are high in protein and low in fat though, a good meat source and a pest.

• mmmmmmm Kwik Meal...

I was just uptown, I shoulda hit that up.

• mmmmmmm Kwik Meal...

I was just uptown, I shoulda hit that up.

The lamb is the TRUTH. Used to work across the street from there. I miss it.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I just looked these guys up, they're like a medium small dog in size! What was said is they are high in protein and low in fat though, a good meat source and a pest.

I wouldn't call the a pest, they're cute and nowadays are even farmed

Yummie...

in Benin they call them Agouti. They're caught in the bush, gutted, then spreadeagled in a frame of four sticks then smoked over an open fire and then sold at the side of the road.

Good stuff!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I guess he's kind of like this big little dude:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess he's kind of like this big little dude:

I've never had the pleasure to eat capybara but they do look very similar.

• My favorite grimey food spot is about 40 miles into Sierra Leone on the Conakry-Freetown highway. Local women carry plastic bowls on their head that are covered with a piece of cloth. Inside are chunks of cane rat, simmered in red palm oil and spiced up with some red habanero pepper and various herbs. It looks very dangerous as they basically just remove the guts and then hack the whole animal including all the bones into chunks with a machete. The taste however is phenomenal, especially since the splintered bones are simmered with the meat, the taste ins very intense but not gamelike unpleasant, the meat is very tender, only problem is that you constantly have to spit out pieces of bone...

do they make a vegan version?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

do they make a vegan version?

the cane rat is a strict vegetarian, is that good enough for you?

No, seriously, I don't think it's a good idea to follow a vegetarian lifestyle in Africa. It might be possible but you are bound to totally confuse and maybe even insult a lot of people...

• recognize! chez shwartz

• I ate a lot of meals out of lunch trucks when I went to Temple.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    recognize! chez shwartz

is that in Montreal?

i ate there. amazing...

but it was more like grimey butcher shop steez

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

is that in Montreal?

i ate there. amazing...

but it was more like grimey butcher shop steez

COSMOS BREAKFAST

is hands down th ebest breakfast spot in MTL...grease fumes is making the wallpoaper fall of though

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I have never been to the Fleetwood...the wife and I hit up Red Hot Lovers every Friday night though. Broadway Cafe is another weird spot...cheesesteaks or Korean food.

Roy's Squeeze Inn is still on my list (there are so many great grimey places on Michigan Ave).

Also Greene's Hamburgers in Farmington...I work 3 miles away but have never been. I suck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The two that come to mind right away in Toronto are New York Subway on Queen, which doesn't sell subs even, more like East Indian burritos which is not as bad as it might sound except that dude's apron and hands looks like they have not seen soap and water since the place opened six or so years ago. I can't even eat there anymore and the smell which used to be somewhat of a draw now turns my stomach - like wet socks drenched in old curry. EDIT[/b] - Not that that's the smell that used to be the draw, but that's how it smells to me now.

And then there's Vesta Lunch at Bathurst and Dupont. It's straight-ahead diner fare, but the staff are the most depressing ever - older, yelling at each other over what I imagine are hard feelings from 40 yrs ago from "back home". I used to work near there and went in a lot, I don't think I ever got a hello or good-bye or smile back. About 10 years ago, I got my "fortune" told one drunken night by a woman behind the counter and even that was doomed.
    ....Maybe it's me and my guts they hate?

• Taco Strut.

• jyrijyri 24 Posts
    In Finland food spots are very deeply controlled by the health department.
    But some of my friends have got some food poisonings from some immigrant pizza places. I think that the grimiest foos spots in my town are the ones that are open in the late hour. Some pizza, hot dog and barbeque spots. They are very popular though because in Finland it's not usual to get a food poisoning from a food spot thanks to the finnish heslth department.

But I still miss the lait night fried chicken up in here...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Taco Strut.

Cmon man, that over White Cross? You can't be serious.

- spidey

• Taco Strut.

Cmon man, that over White Cross? You can't be serious.

- spidey

I feel ya. I love this place too. I once took my Dad to eat here and we watched to naked bums fight out front.

Then we went here.

What dude.

(I cant find a picture of Los Tacos on Charleston)

• The White Cross. Thank you for that D. I just noticed your post count.