Offered a gig... I'm scared!

kwalitykwality 620 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So I get a message in my myspace today about playing a gig at a small club in Melbourne. The guy wants me to play some wierd IDM that I've produced a while ago, but the thing is I haven't played a gig in years. I'd be in the middle of two live guys who have a pretty solid set together. Should I do it? I've got a copy of Ableton that I could try and learn in two days or I could probably just dj... what would y'all do? Part of me thinks I should just do it and see what happens, but the other part of me is wary of being another half assed dude playing a set in a club. I started djing when I didn't even own two turntables and it went down okay, so I'm used to being well out of my depth, but two days to organise something decent isn't a lot of time.I hope I don't sound like I need the it's just that after being a studio geek for so long I'm not sure I'm still up to scratch. What says the SS massive?

Comments

• any chance of going before the other 2 guys ?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Yeah I think I'll try and organise that. It'd be cruel to fuck it up and send everyone packing. The one thing is that it's strange music to begin with, so I can't imagine anyone there is expecting a hands in the air facemelting experience. I think I should just do it, it's not like I get offered gigs every day.

• Pull an Aphex Twin and throw some sandpaper on the turntables.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Pull an Aphex Twin and throw some sandpaper on the turntables.

I saw Aphex Twin in London in 2002-ish... over half his set consisted of one of those 'Batucada Fantastica' LPs through a distortion unit with random stutters and effects over top. It was sort of hot actually.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Pull an Aphex Twin and throw some sandpaper on the turntables.

Then draw funny faces in a bunch of Ableton clips, route them to random drum kits/sounds and flip em around a little here and there.

Voila! On-the-spot IDM

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    send me your IDM tracks, I'll mix them and send it to you as an MP3, and you can ghost-ride that mix. in return, i will accept a joey or baby koala bear.

• yo, unless youre real shy...do it! who gives a fuck?!?!?
    practice for one day, go play some shit youre feeling, have some drinks, say some shit on the mic and raise hell. dont be meek. again, who gives a fuck??? the world will keep turning, knamean? be comfortable with wha tyou want to do up there and do that shit. it doesnt have to be rock solid session...have fun and it will be contagious

balls out!!!
    mash out with your ass out

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    no but seriously, just do it. bring some CDs, vinyl, n shit, and just select some tunes if you're not confident in your mixing. or maybe they'll have a mixer or some stuff with the echo / delay shit that drop to segue into tracks. you can just use the excuse that you're a PRODUCER and NOT a DJ.

• as long as you play some nice tracks for people to have fun to (especially theladies) no one will give fuck if you are killling the mxes except other djs and dj dick riders, but they arent going to suck your dick at the end of the night. well, maybe they will, but whatever floats your boat

Sweet, cheers for that guys. I've got a baby koala on the way for you all. What I think I'll do is bring vinyl/cd's in case my computer craps out, otherwise it's gonna be a seat of the pants ableton rockout!

I guess I'll just have a few brews and do my best. The world won't come to an end afterall!

• Believe me, gigs in small Melbourne bars are EASYYYYYY.
    What is the gig - who hooked you up - where's it at????
    I'll give you the low down.
    C

Believe me, gigs in small Melbourne bars are EASYYYYYY.
    C

The gig's at a place called Blue Tile Lounge in Fitzroy - pretty mellow I've been told. A guy who used to be on the same (now defunct) label served it up for me after someone else pulled out. It's all live (as live as dudes with laptops get) but I'm not sure of the name or if its a regular thing.

I figure screw it, it's not like I have people asking me to play my music very often. I mean really, why the hell do I make it if I don't want to play it? Needless to say though I'm still freaked out. Two days is plenty of time to learn a program and do it in front of people...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Believe me, gigs in small Melbourne bars are EASYYYYYY.
    C

The gig's at a place called Blue Tile Lounge in Fitzroy - pretty mellow I've been told. A guy who used to be on the same (now defunct) label served it up for me after someone else pulled out. It's all live (as live as dudes with laptops get) but I'm not sure of the name or if its a regular thing.

this friday yeah?? Damn. I'll be up the coast. Otherwise I'd come down and support.

^^^^
    Cheers man, it may be just as well though! Hell, I know the general SS consensus on idm stuff, plus it'll be pretty small time and shaky I reckon. I just found out it's only like a 45 minute slot so that'll fly by I think. I'll keep everyone posted on how the ableton training goes.

• The Blue Tile lounge is just around the corner from my store.
    Its only as big as my store too!
    So it'll be a nice easy gig, just play some tunes you enjoy, mixing is not really a big pre-request there. I'm not even sure it has a dance floor, just the bar.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I think a DBlue glitch and Supertrigger with some midi clip can provide you a good hour worth of good clean glitchy fun. If you happen to have a midi controller with loads of knobs and faders, map them to these plugin's control parameter so that you can adjust them on the fly. If still in doubt, throw a "Beat repeat" plugin in the main output.

Or you can download Otomo Yoshihide's "THe Night Before the death of sampling virus" and put the CD in random shuffle mode. That would do the trick just as fine.

Either way, have fun and all the best with your gig!

Cheers all... what's your store mr. magro? I think I'll just load up my tracks and some pads and then have a few beers. I couldn't be any worse than Van Halen!

• Ah damn, I'll be out of town. It's just round the corner from my joint too. Pity.

Let us know how it goes.

• Cheers all... what's your store mr. magro?

I don't really like IDM mate, so I won't offer any other excuses for not showing

lots of Melbourne strutters these days eh

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Geeze tell me about.

Where the fuck Sydney at?

Cheers all... what's your store mr. magro?

I don't really like IDM mate, so I won't offer any other excuses for not showing

lots of Melbourne strutters these days eh

That's all good, it's been far too long since I visited your fine establishment so we're even I guess! It's good to see all the Melbournians... is a meetup in order?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

That's all good, it's been far too long since I visited your fine establishment so we're even I guess! It's good to see all the Melbournians... is a meetup in order?

• sounds good to me

• I'm down.

Chances are we are all going to meet up and recognise each other anyway. "ohhh, you're that guy, you know that guy that i know."

It's a small city!

You're right... I think I know a few here by 2 degrees of seperation. Hugh has had a good idea so we'll try and organise it sooooon.

As for Sydney?

• I'll be back and forth in the next month or so, keep my posted and i'll try to swing it.

Also all please report to Aussie strut roll call