The Funky Phantom

MaestroMaestro 3 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
"The Funky Phantom" I picked up the LP this weekend, it's a Hanna Barbera Cartoon. I saw this record in a Wax Poetic's article about the Roseavelt Record Show. anybody else hear this?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "The Funky Phantom" I picked up the LP this weekend, it's a Hanna Barbera Cartoon. I saw this record in a Wax Poetic's article about the Roseavelt Record Show. anybody else hear this?

What is it, exactly, besides being the soundtrack to a cartoon? Any songs on it, or is it just dialogue?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its not very funky at all
    theme song,dialouge-thats about it
    still a tough pull and a cool cover

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOL, yeah its not for listening to... its just THE FUNKY PHANTOM.

I wish those HB cartoon records were soundtracks, they're always those unlistenable story records... I've heard rumors that they had an in-house vinyl sound library but I'll believe it when I see it...

its not very funky at all

DIGGING LESSON #1: just 'cause it says funk on the cover doesn't mean it is. In this case, "funky" was a popular catchphrase in the early 70's and Hanna-Barbera decsided to drop that word into the title of one of their cartoon shows. So don't go into this expecting a phantom that coughs up breakbeats or something.

I've heard rumors that they had an in-house vinyl sound library but I'll believe it when I see it...

I think that probably refers to the sound effects they used in their cartoons...it's not like they were hoarding Skull Snaps LP's in their storage space or anything...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    expecting a phantom that coughs up breakbeats

• Yeah, the record isn???t very good. I sold a couple copies on EBay for about $12.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've heard rumors that they had an in-house vinyl sound library but I'll believe it when I see it...

I think that probably refers to the sound effects they used in their cartoons...it's not like they were hoarding Skull Snaps LP's in their storage space or anything...

I'd love to have even the sound fx - they're hilarious - but some of the music (in Scooby Doo, for example) is outrageous and, at times, very funky.

• It's just short stories with theme music, motif of suspense music. The Funky Phantom sounds like Nipsy Russell/Snaglepuss, they don't even explain why they call him the funky phantom. some sample sounds, $2

• word I heard was it was an Aussie jazz guy that did it.

John Sangster I think....

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    hanna barbera released some great sides in their short lived record career (the funky phantom not being one of them. good cartoon, but that's about it. (i think the phantom voice was the same voice of that genie Babu) here's one of their better sides:

The Dynatones - The Fife Piper

• Maybe you're talking about this one?

I have it around here somewhere but I don't have a clue where the hell it is.. if I remember correctly it's pretty funky.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    $2
    I love these kids.

• ?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

not so fast, there were some seriously funky music in those cartoons! i dont remember what show it was, penelope pitstop maybe, but i remember an episode where the car or whatever is about to go into the water, music totally drops out, WIDE OPEN drum break out of nowhere, i have it on vhs somewhere. wagonchrist sampled it, sound fx and all, but it sounds crystal clear on his album....maybe he got ahold of some of the mystery vinyl? my vhs copy is a hissy mess otherwise id consider using it myself.