Jimi Hendrix Euro pressing appreesh

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
fuck a remaster...we got some german OGs into the shop and good lord, they blow the US pressings out of the water...I knew there was probably a difference, but fuck, the drums are in your face and the guitar sounds like it is in the room with you...60s Reprise for the most part suck, but I didnt know how much they sucked until hearing these pressings..."Hey Joe" used to be played out to me, but its like Im hearing it for the first time...these are on a fidelity level on par with OG Blue Notes...worth every penny.

Comments

• Cool. Which ones you get?

• are you experienced
    smash hits("the stars that play with laughing sams dice" sounds god-like)
    electric ladyland

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    electric ladyland

does that have the naked cover?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    electric ladyland

pervert

• electric ladyland

no, actually, its that "part two" record with just Jimi's face...so that one isnt OG I suppose, but sounds fantastic!

Did they have this show at Tivoli Gardens? I had a tape of this when i was younger and its the awesomest Jimi show.

8/31/70
    TIVOLI GARDEN, STOCKHOLM

Lover Man
    Catfish Blues Midnight Lightning
    Ezy Rider
    Red House
    Drum Solo
    Come On (Pt. 1)
    Room Full of Mirrors
    Hey Baby
    Drum Solo
    Message to Love
    Machine Gun
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    In from the Storm
    Purple Haze
    Foxy Lady

• I can only recommend the german pressings! not only the sound quality but they go for very little money.
    just check german ebay!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The mono mixes haven't ever been made available on CD have they? Does anyone know of a blog that might have em?

A friend of mine got a G for a heavily water damaged one recently...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

STP w/ LSD is only on Loose Ends? Whats it doin' on Smash Hits???? I never seen it on that???

• smash hits("the stars that play with laughing sams dice" sounds god-like)

STP w/ LSD is only on Loose Ends? Whats it doin' on Smash Hits???? I never seen it on that???

UK/Euro Smash Hits has a radically different tracklist than the US one:

• Listening now to the Who "Sell Out" German Polydor press, this shit sounds awesome as well! Viva la German Polydor!

i also used to have a tape of pre-experience studio jams in Germany with all the members of the Experience but before being named. It had an instrumental version of third stone from the sun, where the music just stops mid-song while Jimi tries to get the right feedback, plucking the same note and getting this high-pitched squeek until all of sudden it feedsback with this massive OHHMMMMMMM and the drums and bass kick in for the jam that closes out the song. It also had instrumental purple haze and national anthem.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts

That was a 45 in the UK.

• Viva la German Polydor!

I have found that when those german polydors have even the slightest surface scuffs they sound really bad.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    electric ladyland

no, actually, its that "part two" record with just Jimi's face...so that one isnt OG I suppose, but sounds fantastic!

I got the German polydor joint complete with the 60s boobs and it does sound rad. Garland,TX Goodwill represent!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "Hey Joe" used to be played out to me, but its like Im hearing it for the first time...these are on a fidelity level on par with OG Blue Notes...worth every penny.

So does this German copy play the US track-list? I've got a German Polydor Experienced that has the Brit cover and tracks. Werid.

But yeah, I'll take a Euro pressing of most American rock records any day.