Abelton?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Who's Frickin' with it? I've had it for like a year now and I'm completely shook about using it for some reason.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I recommend this to anyone who makes sample-based music. The work flow is unparalleled. You can chop / mangle samples faster than anything else I've ever worked with..

The new version is introducing a new mpc-pad style plug-in and chopping tool that lets you chop up samples and automatically map to a 4x4 grid of pads. Each sample can then be manipulated individually w/ effects etc... the possibilities really are endless.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    i was a little hesitant to get involved a couple of years back but now i use ableton live 6.0.7, and audiofile engineering wave editor & sample manager to accomplish the vast majority of my creative production efforts.

get involved with the built-in tutorials and familiarize yourself with the interface over the course of a few hours, and you'll quickly get the hang of it. i have some additional tutorial video files on disc somewhere around here, hit me with a pm and i'll hit you off.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I really like Ableton, but it does have a tough learning curve because everything has been designed around their concept of an efficient workflow. Once you really work at it and get in though, it is faster than any other DAW out there, and the live functionality is nuts. I thought the tutorials included with it were really good, even if they feel simplistic at first.

I'm sure the folks at Ableton would be real excited to get you on board Cosmo.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Who's Frickin' with it? I've had it for like a year now and I'm completely shook about using it for some reason.

Don't wait - just start fuckin with it. The tutorials are extremely easy to follow.
    I used to be the same way about learning programs so I never did, but that was the first one that did basically everything I need to do all in one. It's simple and to the point with how to use it.

Needless to say "I heartily endorse this yadda yadda".

The new one coming out is gonna be dope.
    If you have any questions just hit me up.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

I recommend this to anyone who makes sample-based music. The work flow is unparalleled. You can chop / mangle samples faster than anything else I've ever worked with..

The new version is introducing a new mpc-pad style plug-in and chopping tool that lets you chop up samples and automatically map to a 4x4 grid of pads. Each sample can then be manipulated individually w/ effects etc... the possibilities really are endless.

yeah man. ive been using it for about 5 years now and it just has so many features. Great for production, recording, mixing, recording, editing and much more.

Cosmo if you want to learn how to use it goto the tutorials in the About menu. It helps a lot cause live is arranged very untraditionally from most audio programs.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah its all ive used for the last 5 years or so...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    yeah its all ive used for the last 5 years or so...

• my friend gave me a 20 minute tutorial and i've been using it comfortably ever since.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    this program is so awesome. i was daunted at first but it's very easy to use. i use it strictly for putting beats together and recording guitar and so forth, it's wierd to think that some people DJ with it.

• Awesome program i have been hooked for over a year.
    I have found it pretty easy to learn compared to other programs and there are are a couple of good tutorial videos kicking around the torrent community that will help get you started.

• Is it just me (or my weak processor), or is the Ableton time-stretch fuction really sloppy? I've moved to only sampling off records because I can control the speed wihtout getting glitchy digital audio artifacts.

Aside from that I love this program, and cant wait for the 9 pad sampler emulator. I have trouble understanding why some people are daunted by Ableton, because I think it's the most intutive audio program I've ever worked with. And as you get deeper, you just get faster and faster with the workflow. And that time-warp is great for correcting the timing of longer samples.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Is it just me (or my weak processor), or is the Ableton time-stretch fuction really sloppy? I've moved to only sampling off records because I can control the speed wihtout getting glitchy digital audio artifacts.

Aside from that I love this program, and cant wait for the 9 pad sampler emulator. I have trouble understanding why some people are daunted by Ableton, because I think it's the most intutive audio program I've ever worked with. And as you get deeper, you just get faster and faster with the workflow. And that time-warp is great for correcting the timing of longer samples.

It's either your computer, or you're using the wrong time-stretch algorithm.

Try changing your clip's time-stretch algorithm to "Repitch".

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Lamont is dope.