Malibu on fire (literally)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
This shit is nuts. I noticed that the Santa Ana winds were crazy last night even in East LA, but damn. I wake up, turn on the news, and there`s a billion helicopters dropping water and trying to slow this shit down. I`ve heard other parts of So-Cal are burning up as well. Apolocalyptic live footage. Hope they get this out as soon as possible.Multi-million dollar homeowners, are clearing brush so that embers don`t come flying through the air and catching onto their backyard.

Comments

• Yeah, it sucks. I was hiking up there a few months ago, it's gorgeous up malibu canyon rd. Hope everybody's all right up north.

What is more painful is fox's new coverage!

• weird, we just got a call that poway is on fire and that the smoke is going to be heading here. and yep, we're starting to smell smoke.

• isn't this a fairly regular occurrence though? In the 9 years I lived in LA Malibu flared up at least 2 or 3 times, some worse than others.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Santa Ana Winds are no joke.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    there's 2 fires in San Diego right now, one is over 8,000 acres near the Tecate border crossing, and one is near Hwy 78 in Ramona.
    The smoke is getting pretty thick, even all the way in downtown SD, where I'm at.

edit: bad info- one is 3,000 acres, the other is estimated at about 1,000. Not that it makes any of this shit better.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I was heading from Miracle Mile back to West LA, and there was a thick gray layer of smoke along the horizon, and ofcourse the pervasive odor of the charred earth. Craziness.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    There are 6 fires now in SD. I'm surrounded. My house will be fine... it always is because I live in the city, which never catched fire for some reason. but the rest of the county is on fire. It doesn't seem as bad as the '03 fires, but they are saying its worse because they can't fight it. yikes.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Subject: CALIFORNIA FIRES CNRSW SHORE SOPA GUIDANCE//

UNCLASSIFIED//

O 220800Z OCT 07 COMNAVREG SW SAN DIEGO CA(UC) CALIFORNIA FIRES CNRSW SHORE SOPA GUIDANCE//

TO AL ALL SHOREACTS SAN DIEGO AREA(UC)
    ALL SHOREACTS SAN DIEGO AREA
    CC CNIC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
    COMUSFLTFORCOM NORFOLK VA
    COMNAVREG SW SAN DIEGO CA(UC)
    COMNAVSPECWARCOM CORONADO CA(MC)
    COMNAVSURFOR SAN DIEGO CA(UC)
    COMNAVAIRFOR SAN DIEGO CA
    COMTHIRDFLT

UNCLAS
    SUBJ/CALIFORNIA FIRES CNRSW SHORE SOPA GUIDANCE// RMKS/1. CALIFORNIA IS CURRENTLY SUFFERING FROM SEVERAL FIRES, THREE OF WHICH ARE DIRECTLY THREATENING THE RESIDENTS OF SAN DIEGO AND VENTURA COUNTIES. SPECIFICALLY, THE "HARRIS FIRE", "WITCH CREEK FIRE" AND THE "CANYON FIRE". ALL OF THE FIRES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO IMPACT SOME OF OUR NAVAL INSTALLATIONS BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, OUR NAVY FAMILY. THE GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA HAS DECLARED SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA A DISASTER AREA DUE TO THESE AND OTHER FIRES.

2. SITREP (2300PST)
    A. JULIAN/RAMONA/SANTA YSABEL, SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA TERMED THE "WITCH CREEK FIRE" IS LOCATED 40 MILES NORTH EAST OF SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA. THE FIRE STARTED 21OCT07 AT 1235HRS AND HAS BURNED APPROXIMATELY 8,000 ACRES WITH 1% CONTAINMENT; THE CAUSE IS UNDER INVESTIGATION. CNRSW HAS DEPLOYED A SINGLE WILD LAND BRUSH TRUCK (FROM NB CORONADO) WITH 4 PERSONNEL. THIS FIRE IS THE NUMBER 1 PRIORITY FOR THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. PREVAILING SANTA ANA WEATHER CONDITIONS CONTINUE TO MAKE THIS FIRE VOLATILE; HIGH WINDS AND LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY. SIGNIFICANT IMPACT TO NAVY FAMILIES IS ANTICIPATED; PRESENTLY 2 PPV HOUSING FACILITIES (APPROX 380 UNITS) HAVE BEEN EVACUATED.

B. POTRERO, SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA TERMED THE "HARRIS FIRE" IS LOCATED 23 MILES SOUTH EAST OF SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA. CNRSW HAS DEPLOYED TWO RESOURCES, A WILDLAND BRUSH TRUCK (FROM NB SAN DIEGO) AND A STRUCTURAL ENGINE COMPANY (FROM NB POINT LOMA), EACH WITH A CREW OF 4 PERSONNEL. THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE, WHICH BEGAN AT 0923L IS UNKNOWN AND UNDER INVESTIGATION. AT 2300L THE FIRE WAS REPORTED TO BE 5% CONTAINED WITH 25,000 ACRES CONSUMED WITH ONE CIVILIAN FATALITY AND 4 NON DOD-FIREFIGHTERS HAVE BEEN SEVERELY INJURED. CURRENTLY THERE IS NO IMPACT TO MILITARY FAMILIES OR INSTALLATIONS ANTICIPATED FROM THIS FIRE.

C. MALIBU, LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CALIFORNIA TERMED THE "CANYON FIRE"
    IS 25 MILES SOUTH OF NAVAL BASE VENTURA COUNTY. NO ASSETS HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED TO THIS INCIDENT AT PRESENT. THE FIRE WHICH BEGAN AT 0433HRS 21OCT07 IS 10% CONTAINED WITH 2,200 ACRES CONSUMED.

CURRENTLY THERE IS NO ANTICIPATED IMPACT TO NAVAL INSTALLATIONS OR FAMILIES.
    3. ACTION
    A. ALL UNIT COMMANDERS IN THE SAN DIEGO AND VENTURA COUNTY AREA ARE REQUESTED TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL PERSONNEL AND DEPENDENTS ATTACHED TO THEIR UNIT.

B. DURING THIS MUSTER, COMMANDERS ARE TO ASSESS AND DETERMINE THE IMPACT TO THE NAVY FAMILY ASSOCIATED WITH THEIR UNIT. IN THAT ASSESSMENT, ASCERTAIN THE SHORT AND LONG TERM IMPACTS AND WHAT RESOURCES OR SUPPORT YOU MAY REQUIRE FROM THE CNRSW. PLEASE COMMUNICATE THOSE REQUIREMENTS TO THE REGIONAL OPERATIONAL CENTER

(ROC) AT 619-532-1484 DSN 522-1484.
    C. THIS IS NOT A BOL DMT MUSTER.
    4. FOR TEMPORARY LODGING, CONTACT THE NEAREST NAVY LODGE OR BACHELOR QUARTER (BQ) FACILITY IN YOUR AREA.
    A. NAVY LODGE EL CENTRO - 760-339-2342
    B. NAVY LODGE NAS NORTH ISLAND - 619-435-0191 C. NAVY LODGE NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO - 619-234-6142 D. NAVY LODGE MCAS MIRAMAR - 858-271-7111 E. NAVY LODGE PORT HUENEME - 805-985-2624 F. NAVAL BASE POINT LOMA BQ - ASW BASE 619-524-0557 G. NAVAL BASE POINT LOMA BQ - SUB BASE 619-524-5382 H. NAVAL BASE CORONADO - NAVAL AMPHIBIOUS BASE BQ 619-437-3860 I. NAVAL BASE CORONADO - NORTH ISLAND BQ 619-545-9551 J. NAVAL BASE SAN DIEGO BQ - 619-556-8674 K. NAVAL BASE PORT HUENEME BQ - 805-982-6778 4. QUESTIONS CAN BE DIRECTED TO THE REGIONAL OPERATIONAL CENTER

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    the two fires have joined in east county for a total acreage on fire of approx. 30,000. Qualcomm Stadium has been opened as an evacuated resident shelter. Approx. 250,000 residents have been evacuated so far. Everything east of I-5 and north of Hwy 56 is being evacuated.

• This is what it looked like on my way to work. I'm at home right now. It cleared out considerably on the way home. This is on the 5 right by the Del Mar race tracks.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Well, if any of you dudes need ot evacuate you can crash at our place.

THIS SHIT IS NUTS. My prayers to those homeowners.

"The situation continues to deteriorate," fire chief Bill Metcalf said at 10 a.m. Pacific time, with numerous structures lost across the county.

"I think there's a very good possibility it will reach the coast before it's finished," Metcalf said of one of the fiercest blazes.

Metcalf said the fires were consuming homes in the communities of Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Forest Ranch and Lake Hodges.

"We have more houses burning than we have people and engine companies to fight them," San Diego Fire Capt. Lisa Blake said, according to the Associated Press. "A lot of people are going to lose their homes today."

From what authorities know, there seemed to have been 3 ignition points by arson.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Well, if any of you dudes need to evacuate you can crash at our place.

ditto. we got spare rooms

hit me on the PM

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

hit me on the PM

^^^gives great cuddle time^^^

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

hit me on the PM

^^^gives great cuddle time^^^

I shoulda came over last weekend. Ended up having my car straqnded in a chruch parking lot at 4am Sat morning

I'll just have to make up with double cuddles on the next run

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

"The situation continues to deteriorate," fire chief Bill Metcalf said at 10 a.m. Pacific time, with numerous structures lost across the county.

"I think there's a very good possibility it will reach the coast before it's finished," Metcalf said of one of the fiercest blazes.

Metcalf said the fires were consuming homes in the communities of Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Forest Ranch and Lake Hodges.

"We have more houses burning than we have people and engine companies to fight them," San Diego Fire Capt. Lisa Blake said, according to the Associated Press. "A lot of people are going to lose their homes today."

^^^Thanks dude, my parents are like E-40 tell me when to go right now at their house ...all packed up and ready. I'm at work wondering WTF???

Schitt is raging. This is no joke. Rancho Santa fe is evacuated.

http://www.cbs8.com for the latest news

^^^Thanks dude, my parents are like E-40 tell me when to go right now at their house ...all packed up and ready. I'm at work wondering WTF???

Schitt is raging. This is no joke. Rancho Santa fe is evacuated.

http://www.cbs8.com for the latest news

Yea, this shit sucks tremendously. Most people can evacuate safely from this, but i can't imagine what it's like to lose one's biggest material possession. I remember a few years back when I was in La Jolla, and it was raining ashes for a week, and school was canceled. Unbreathable air to the max. Let's just hope it doesn't reach your family's home.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    QUICK FIRE INFO:

- Total acres burned: 100,000

- People evacuated: 250,000

- Winds of 2-30 mph, with gusts of 55 mph

- 300 firefighters (Potrero fire only)

- 17 people injured (Potrero)

- 4 firefighters injured (Potrero)

- 1 dead (Potrero)

this is for san diego, I don't know about malibu.

• oh shit. theyre evacuating people? you cant really tell that anything is burning from ktown. just looks like a normal smoggy day.

you stay classy [and safe!] san diego!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    yeah people have been leaving work left and right all day.

If you are in san diego you should regularly check this:

http://www.kpbs.org/static/maps/oct07_fire_map.html

Its a map of evacuation zones and where the fires are located, as well as other useful info.

• Options
    I can't even imagine what it's like out there, stay safe all of you.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    If anyone needs to come east to Phoenix, let me know.

• Or north to Long Beach. Wife and I have a couch, fouton, and sea breeze.

Soulstrut will escape the

• cant really see it in the pic but you can see smoke coming off the mtns in malibu from mid-city.

just got up on the roof a second ago. now the sun is purple.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Outside campus in Long Beach, the air smelled mad smoky.

Thanks for the couch offers, so far the fires are slightly contained to a region north and in the southwest of San Diego. I'll keep everyone posted, keep your fingers crossed for us.

Tonight is going to be a nailbiter, the winds have really picked up.

• my boy got evac'd from Ramona last night. he's in a hotel in downtown SD.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Shit is nutty. The only way to get out of town is the 5. So basically we could head north, which is also on fire apparently, or south into mexico. we are surrounded... the footage on tv is crazy. things are fine where I live is fine so far. I'm a litte worried about Ironfeet... I know he lives in N. County.

I tried calling Ironfeet to hook him up with a Japanese dealer but I'm guessing he jetted.

My parents just voluntarily evacuated and the Witch Creek fire is burning through Rancho Santa Fe/Del Mar down to the polo fields.

Schitt is intense right now. RB and Poway are war zones. Super nuts.