best synth/keyboard under $400

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I guess, but everyone and their momma got it now cos of Skateboard P and quiet Chad.

That used to be a $200 keyboard before the hype. Reminds me or hyping records beyond their original value, lol.

Umm... I would look into the Fantom or something? Got pads and ish, too. I forget how much it costs. Also try soft-synths some of that m-audio so you have a controller too.

I know this is not much help but as usual there are a lot of gear lotta options. Run down to Guitar Center and demo everything. You'll probably find something you're comfortable with, because that's the most important thing about gear.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I guess, but everyone and their momma got it now cos of Skateboard P and quiet Chad.
    do you mean muska(weak)beats?

Chad Hugo actually

I call him that cos he hadly ever speaks and P is all over the mic/camera/girls usually.

yer lookin good these days.

• think about your purchase before you make your little skateboard beat....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    How much would a Juno 60 go for these days?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    not looking for little dude skateboard beats. Looking for a good keyboard under $400 w/ good sounds and a small size. This one looks good to me and adds a vocoder so I could get my no singin' ass sounding so icy on the hooks I'm ready to step away from all samples.

LOLLOLOLLLL, HAHHAAHHAAAH

You been all over the board lately f.ily, you on vacation or what?

Skateboard P is one lucky hipster-triton-freaker-genius-mayfield-impersonator, that's for sure.

yer lookin good these days.

thx Magic, I been on a diet and working out a lot
    my personal trainer caught me when I fell off the exercise bike and passed out if that gives you any idea of how hard I'm working out

my movie ain't doing so well though

i think herbie went BANANAS, with big chan.
    AI, JUNO's are the sick shit, and well worth $500 or so.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, I got one that I don't use. Might want to get rid of it, put it towards a laptop.

I also got the sequencer box that originally came with it.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Go with a used vintage keyboard (for the analog sound), or a PC...avoid modern keyboards is my opinion. They sound too clean with samples and shit. I got a few keyboards, but all are vintage.

Polymoog - I paid $400 Canadian for this two or three years ago. You can get these for good prices and they sound good;

I also own a Juno 106, a J600 and a few other keyboards. I tried more recent/modern syths but they just sound too clean when I blend with samples, but maybe that's just me....

the other thing you might want to look at is don't buy a synth, but a $200 PC, a $100 sound card and run virtual syths. I'm making a huge assumption you don't plan on buying each synth, so if your morals are way up there my bad. lol. I built a PC for $150 (very low end) and I use it as a syth now. I even have a Juno 106 (try to find this in the stores) that some guy in Sweden programmed himself. I comapred the sounds to my keyboard and they are the same. I have a moog on there and everything. I'd go for that over a synth/keyboard all day because if you get sick of a keyboard, you can install another one. They are also pretty easy to find online if you know what I mean...lol. My 808 runs off an AMD machine now. I sold the real 808 machine because I got the exact same sounds out of my virtual version. it also makes for a cleaner studio. I even got that M-Audio keyboad so I can control the filters via the keyboard, not some mouse/PC keyboard ish....

If you haven't seen them, they look like this. You can use the knobs/sliders to adjust them real time on screen;

anyhow... that's my 2 cents...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    right here man...

Novation BassStation

I got one off ebay a few years ago for less than $400 and i love it...great sounds and it works as a midi controller with I think 12 midi assignable knobs and 2 bend wheels.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    roland sh-101, junos, that little korg jammy, bass-station, are all good choices.

polymoog...you got lucky, they aren't usually that cheap. and they are notorious for having problems. if yours works, you got a great deal! they are quite rare.

• I've used that little gray midi controller pictured above, its fun, but nothing serious, i would love to program phat basslines on novation though

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ive got lots of keyboards these days. For under 400 bucks? hmmm....You should look around at some older racks. Like mabye something in the roland xv series. Ive got a 5080 and its real nice. You can also add expansion cards pretty cheaply at a later date and vastly increase your sound banks.

Either that or go the software route. The microkorg aint bad though.

not looking for little dude skateboard beats. Looking for a good keyboard under $400 w/ good sounds and a small size. This one looks good to me and adds a vocoder so I could get my no singin' ass sounding so icy on the hooks I'm ready to step away from all samples.

I bought one, left one of my peoples a vocoder'd up voicemail message, realized I didn't need it and returned it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts