The piano playing...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
... at the end of Doowutchyalike is off the hook.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

That's probably my favorite part in the whole song.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    When he hits the "Al Your Goodies Are Gone" and shit hahahah so dope.

• yup! ain't mad at the 'freaks of the industry' bits either...

• When I saw this thread title, that's the first song I thought of.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yes, shock g rules

i saw DU at KMEL Summer Jam when I was 11. it was at the Shoreline Amphitheater which is 22,000 capacity and they were the last act and got everyone on their feet. they had one guy on each side of the stage with gigantic inflatable hands on and got everyone to clap along. also there were blow up dolls and a bunch of fools in costume. they were so fun live. i went with my older sister and she got really nervous when 22,000 people were singing along the multiple choice to Freaks of the Industry. like she was scared she might have to field questions from me about what this and that means. haha, good times.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah for sure, one of the best rap concerts I've ever seen was Digital Underground back in 1989, opening for Kane.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Love the piano part of the video, too. Shit, I love that whole video, but the piano part really cracks me up for some reason.

I wrote a college application essay about Shock G. Dude is so dude, it's like duuuuuuuuuuude.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I've posted this a million times before, but one of the highlights of my life is meeting Shock in a random bar here in town and having him play any and every DU-related song we wanted on the piano after hours.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I wrote a college application essay about Shock G. Dude is so dude, it's like duuuuuuuuuuude.

Haha this has got to be a gem.

Sex Packets was one of the most influential albums for me when I started listening to hip-hop. I read the liner notes awhile back, and noticed that they give the middle finger to the Albany Police, which I thought was extra cool being from there. (and knowing about their racist moves)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Indeed. It's weird, because the whole song is really bumping and hectic, but the part that I remember always getting folks real open was that clean little oasis of cocktail piano.

Also, when it comes to Compelling Twin Girls In A Hallway, I've long felt that the only real competition to the sisters from The Shining are the two gals in the "Doowutchyalike" video dancing in their matching kelly-green Mary Quant jernts (or are those short sets?) and crisp white sneaks. It's not sexual, it's just...magnetic. I can't look away.

I was on the verge of making a Shock G Changed My Life t-shirt but aww lovely young lady said it might be considered disrespectful by some.

I love the fact that for years hoLmes would never admit to playing all the roles he played. He used to say that The Piano Man could not be revealed due to ???contractual obligations.??? All that talent and dude downplayed his involvement.

I don???t know if I???ve ever said this here, but after M*rs and I randomly met Shock in that bar back in the day, M*rs ended up having Shock produce a song on his album AND then had Shock tour with him. Some time during or before the tour, M*rs discovered that Shock had his (meaning M*rs???) name tattooed on his arm. Of course, M*rs was a little weirded out by that but Shock explained that he always gets tattoos of the names of people that have made a significant impact on his life.

Hip Hop Music This world needs more modesty like that.

I was on the verge of making a Shock G Changed My Life t-shirt but aww lovely young lady said it might be considered disrespectful by some.

By who? I'd rock the hell out of that shirt.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Right before I opened this thread I was thinking "on Doowutchyalike".

No lie.

I always bust out the public when that part comes in.
    Damn they run through a lot of joints on there too. From Ohio Players to Al B. Sure(?!) Crazy.

I guess by die-hard JayDee fans.

But seriously, Shock G was MY JayDee, you know?

I guess by die-hard JayDee fans.

But seriously, Shock G was MY JayDee, you know?

I'm sayin'. If Dilla fans take offense that somebody likes another producer more than Dilla, that's their problem. And if you make those shirts, make one for me!

I remember meeting Shock in the lobby of Bimbo's. I asked him when his cartoon book was coming out, and he gave me this look like, "How the hell do you know about that?" We had a short conversation about beats and whatnot, and that was it. Dude was mega-cool. I talked to my friend the next day and told her about talking to Shock. She said, "Really? He came to my friend's really small house party at like 3 in the morning and brought a big-ass bucket of fried chicken for everybody." Awesome.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts

I remember meeting Shock in the lobby of Bimbo's. I asked him when his cartoon book was coming out, and he gave me this look like, "How the hell do you know about that?" We had a short conversation about beats and whatnot, and that was it. Dude was mega-cool. I talked to my friend the next day and told her about talking to Shock. She said, "Really? He came to my friend's really small house party at like 3 in the morning and brought a big-ass bucket of fried chicken for everybody." Awesome.

So he sounds like the dudest dude ever. Crashing a party, with presents in hand? A bucket of chicken?

Hes welcome at casa Gamble anytime.

Love that he can draw, play piano, rhyme, etc. Real rennaisance* man steeze.

Say it with me: Re-Nay-Saunce. Doesn't that feel regal?