The Beat Battle..

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
how many of you have regular beat battles in your town? i mean a monthly or bi monthly joint thrown locally? if so, what is the science behind them? straight head to head battles or is there anything different that sets them apart?

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

word?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    That doesn't happen here in good ol' Columbus, GA!

• There are some in LA... where people just play there beats and bob their heads and look hard while the crowd listens to em... I think its kinda lame tho... I'd love to find out about a night in LA where they give a record and heads compete to make the illest beat with it. Or just a straight equipment on stage live beat triggering type battle.

I know Rob Viktum runs a cool one in texas.

• We have an annual SC vs NC beat battle every year..I think this years either just happened or is about to any day now. Never been to one, although I am friends with the people that throw it. I think the state vs neighboring state aspect probably makes it a little more fun.

• There are some in LA... where people just play there beats and bob their heads and try their best sound like Dilla[/b]

yoaming.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    There are some in LA... where people just play there beats and bob their heads and try their best sound like Dilla[/b]

yoaming.

Aaahahahahhh

There are some in LA... where people just play there beats and bob their heads and try their best sound like Dilla[/b]

yoaming.

Aaahahahahhh

i've heard that about the LA battles!

• There are some in LA... where people just play there beats and bob their heads and try their best sound like Dilla[/b]

yoaming.

Aaahahahahhh

KICK CLAP KICK CLAP WAAAAARRRRRRRRZZZZ123712379182731982732 KICK CLAP KICK CLAP ZZZZBBZZZEEERRNNNNTTTSKWAK

KICK CLAP KICK CLAP UNQUANTIZED GARBAGE COMPACTOR NOIZEZ[/b]

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

yoaming.

Aaahahahahhh

KICK CLAP KICK CLAP WAAAAARRRRRRRRZZZZ123712379182731982732 KICK CLAP KICK CLAP ZZZZBBZZZEEERRNNNNTTTSKWAK

KICK CLAP KICK CLAP UNQUANTIZED GARBAGE COMPACTOR NOIZEZ[/b]

Yo! cool out, it's like you're jealeous or something...

• I like the battle where people all get given the same sample before the battle and show up with what they've done with it. I do a weekly battle like this and it's better than that on the spot shit because a lot of that is based on how fast you are at beatmaking rather than how good. And it's better than just each person bringing random beats because it shows who can be consistent rather than make one lucky beat.

I also hate the battles where the beatmaker stands in the middle of the stage while his beat plays and basically goes nuts over his own beat in a really cringeworthy why, including that air stabbing/pounding motion with their arms in time with any kick or snare breakdowns, plus the crowd only react to uptempo bangers and so it gets a bit one toned...

• parenparen 537 Posts
    no.no.no.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I like the battle where people all get given the same sample before the battle and show up with what they've done with it. I do a weekly battle like this and it's better than that on the spot shit because a lot of that is based on how fast you are at beatmaking rather than how good. And it's better than just each person bringing random beats because it shows who can be consistent rather than make one lucky beat.

I also hate the battles where the beatmaker stands in the middle of the stage while his beat plays and basically goes nuts over his own beat in a really cringeworthy why, including that air stabbing/pounding motion with their arms in time with any kick or snare breakdowns, plus the crowd only react to uptempo bangers and so it gets a bit one toned...

• we throw one in portland every now and then
    next one is dec 12th.
    its a sample based beat battle
    everyone uses the same samples which they get before the show.
    i usually give everyone about 10 samples to chop.
    this includes one break, a complete 808 kit, a few bass lines, a few horns, and a few misc melody stuff
    1 hour to make a beat.
    its pretty dope.
    dudes really really bring some stuff
    the club we do it at has a camera on stage and you can see the dudes workin on a giant screen behind, super cool.
    heres some pics

one of the flyers

the dudes

more dudes

behind the crowd

• I make beats to party to, not party to makin' beats.

• I like the battle where people all get given the same sample before the battle and show up with what they've done with it. I do a weekly battle like this and it's better than that on the spot shit because a lot of that is based on how fast you are at beatmaking rather than how good. And it's better than just each person bringing random beats because it shows who can be consistent rather than make one lucky beat.

Haha, that's EXACTLY the kind of thing i was talking about, i had to stop the video as i was cringing too much, what goes through these guys minds?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Can anyone tell me what the sample used in the first beat by that Philly dude (Mr. President) in the youtube vid was? I'm having one of those tip-of-my-tongue moments. That "lalalalala" spooky kiddie chorus thing. Danny Elfman? Nightmare Before Christmas? Scrooged? Arrrgh. I know it, but I can't place it right now.

I've done one of these things. I felt ridiculous standing on stage while the beat was playing. I'm too stoned to do that whole animated "produsa hands" act.

[Kanye]Look Ma, I'm selling the dream[/Kanye]

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I've done two [/b] of these things. I felt ridiculous standing on stage while the beat was playing.

• I also hate the battles where the beatmaker stands in the middle of the stage while his beat plays and basically goes nuts over his own beat in a really cringeworthy why, including that air stabbing/pounding motion with their arms in time with any kick or snare breakdowns

In addition, I've seen:

1) The beatmaker sing along (with rap/producer hands accompaniment) to his own chorus and expect us to sing along to it too.

2) A guy who had gunshots in his beat on every 4th bar and would "cock back and squeeze" at his opponent on the 4th bar...most people thought his theatrics were more entertaining than his beat.

John

• ultraultra 23 Posts
    No the best is when they call it a sample battle..and the guy who beat you plays a synthesized beat.....ala Lil Jon style..

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

I've done two [/b] of these things. I felt ridiculous standing on stage while the beat was playing.

I also hate the battles where the beatmaker stands in the middle of the stage while his beat plays and basically goes nuts over his own beat in a really cringeworthy why, including that air stabbing/pounding motion with their arms in time with any kick or snare breakdowns

In addition, I've seen:

1) The beatmaker sing along (with rap/producer hands accompaniment) to his own chorus and expect us to sing along to it too.

2) A guy who had gunshots in his beat on every 4th bar and would "cock back and squeeze" at his opponent on the 4th bar...most people thought his theatrics were more entertaining than his beat.

John

true. the dudes that don't take the time to mix/eng their ish irks me sometimes also...

jwizzle's boys threw local battles in seattle for awhile and now got bumped to national redbull sponsored status.

jwizzle's boys threw local battles in seattle for awhile and now got bumped to national redbull sponsored status.

yeah, thats the tall homie vitamin d, jake and wordsayer. i'll be in the town for the finals in 2 weeks.