FAVORITE MODAL JAZZ ALBUM...

2»

Comments

• i'm disputing the 'modality' of at least SOME of the records in this thread... it's a bit of a trick question though- even Kind of Blue isn't entirely modal. nice pictures though

many of these records are not modal.

Yes, I'm agree with you 2.
    But "Kind of Blue" is definitely not the less modal of the records mentioned here...
    An other beautiful album, it's the "Swinging Macedonia" of Dusko Goykovich, one of the most essential lp in this genre from Europe.

• i'm disputing the 'modality' of at least SOME of the records in this thread... it's a bit of a trick question though- even Kind of Blue isn't entirely modal. nice pictures though

many of these records are not modal.

But "Kind of Blue" is definitely not the less modal of the records mentioned here...
    An other beautiful album, it's the "Swinging Macedonia" of Dusko Goykovich, one of the most essential lp in this genre from Europe.

Swinging Macedonia is wicked, the title track and bem basha are heavy as...

I think some of the shit I pulled out were verging on the edge of my very lose interpretation of modal. I guess I hear modal when there's a feel of the barest elements of a chord supported usually in the form of a vamping piano along with say waltzy, eastern or latinesque percussion. Carried on this is expressionate free soloing on top with eastern or maybe a latin feel, often with a flute or soprano, or even clarinet which kind of has the sound or timbre of my lay notion of modal. Of course with this criteria I should include things like say Mauricio Smith - Fluta nova or Roberto Roena - Appollo 2 - Puerto Rican Blues, etc but I bracket them as latin jazz. I probably need to revise my understanding as I'm no scholar and don't know my dorian from my arse.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Does anybody know what the deal is with Barney Wilen's Zodiac LP? I don't think it's a modal jazz session, from what I've heard about it it's mostly avant-garde.. Very curious though, as Wilen is incredible. How is it?
    AP didn't you have this at one point?

• i dont remember having this shit. i did have yogi jazz. it kind of bruned my ass in pubic so i sold it. i did have swinging macadonia. it was dope. i sold it though. nathan davis rips and is very tasteful. i ride for happy girl.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Huge cosine on goykovich. i have the enja issue of the macedonia lp, plus another goykovich lp on EGO records. late one, 1981 if i m correct, but still a nice record.
    no competition to macedonia though..

on another tip, what about rolf k??hn`s "solarius"?

• I JUST GOT...

OSSIAN, KSIEGA CHMUR ON THE POLISH MUZA LABEL.

NO EXACTLY MODAL BUT DEEP ASS MEDITATIVE SITAR ABSTRACT HIPPIE SHIT.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS?

SOUND OFF AND LET ME KNOW.

MUZA FANS SHOW ME YOUR ROOSTER.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this one isn't on the muza label. it's on pronit. killer.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    I have a pressing question on this one. I have what I believe is the American pressing of this on Columbia however it is titled "Frantic" and shows a picture of Miles on the cover. I have never been able to find any information on it...ebay, popsike, etc. Does Soulstrut have any answers? Thanks in advance.

Great album by the way.

• this one isn't on the muza label. it's on pronit. killer.

I ride

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    this one isn't on the muza label. it's on pronit. killer.

I ride

id like to ride
    does someone have some cuts from this album for me to check out?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

you are the dude
    thanks!