Random ass song in a random ass place???

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was in Santa Barbara this past weekend for a wedding. Ceremony was at this gorgeous place called Baccara - off the hook spa retreat type place overlooking the coast.....shit was I was a little taken aback though - when I heard Toque De Quica playing (Azymuth) in the bar/lounge of the place. With all the comps being made over the last few years - this seems to happen here and there more and more....but I was still sorta like.....what? It was dope to hear....just a little like....huh, thats odd.

Comments

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    A couple of weeks ago was ordering a coffee in a really boring straight italian restaurant / bar type thing and all of a sudden Timmy Thomas's "Why Can't we Live Together" started playing out of nowhere.

• A couple of weeks ago was ordering a coffee in a really boring straight italian restaurant / bar type thing and all of a sudden Timmy Thomas's "Why Can't we Live Together" started playing out of nowhere.

That kind of happenstance is good for the soul.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    maceo "cross the tracks" in a trader joes.

dorando "let my people go" in starbucks (around the corner from jinx's house).

f.f./peace "six tray" at a diner in reno.

niney "blood & fire" at a realtor's office.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    "Be Thankful for What You've Got" in a rural Eastern Washington Wal-Mart.

• "Mardi Gras" sans bells in the Dentist's office

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There is just no question: "Three little maids from school are we" from the Mikado blasting out of a co-op selling processed food, ammo, and pelts in Iqaluit on Baffin Island. Gilbert and Sullivan could not be more removed from Baffin Island; it was beyond surreal.

I think this sort of sublime randomness is a product of satellite radio and I salute the medium for it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Timmy Thomas's "Why Can't we Live Together"

i dont know if this is the same everywhere, in fact i know its not because ive only experienced it here, but in iowa city the goodwills have "goodwill radio" which is just, as far as i can tell, a CD or something of music designed for the local goodwills, because theres ads inbetween songs talking about how they give to the iowa city community and so-forth, ANYWAY so far there has been some semi-obscure james brown song, and now, timmy thomas' "why cant we live together" is also in the mix. everything else they play is f-ucking annoying though.

i heard that song randomly somewhere else too.

i remember hearing hip hug-her at a gas station in chicago once, but apparently thats not weird in some areas of the country (youre lucky to even get a green onions on the oldies stations around here...) great experience, going into a gas station at like 2AM in the outskirts of chicago hearing hip hug-her, a really memorable experience for me for some reason.

one time i heard "rock it" and "rock steady" back to back at a burger king. that was pretty awesome...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hearing a muzak version of "she comes in colors" by Love in a mall in downtown san diego in 1997...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i went to a tiny working hours only thai cafe in CBD sydney and heard
    stretch why did you do it, that bugged me out!

• "Soul Makossa" at Taco Bell.

• i first heard "am i the same girl" a few years ago in a giant supermarket - weird!

• hearing a muzak version of "she comes in colors" by Love in a mall in downtown san diego in 1997...

Back in the day we had a hold-music system where I work that had the "coolest" muzak, including 'She Comes In Colors' and 'Living In the Past' by Jethro Tull. I remember being shoccked the first time I heard that one.
    We now have one 8 bar synth riff that plays over and over again....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Classic soul (Al Green, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, etc,.) in a
    coffee shop in West Seattle. This seemed really out of place.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The starbucks by my house always seems to be playing good soul music. I don't know if its on some CD they have for sale of what, but I always walk out of there singing along to whats playing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

f.f./peace "six tray" at a diner in reno.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The last couple of times I was in the McDonalds in Union Square I've heard The Style Council. I enjoyed "You're The BEst Thing" with my fries.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    two weeks ago i was in a Chapters store (canada's bookstores equivelant to indigo i guess) and all of a sudden i heard "All For Love" by Color Me Badd. I'm not a girl, and i've never been into boy bands, but that song is some awesome new jack sheit haha. i mean why the fuck would they be playing that in 2007? there's stuff u expect to hear but not that.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    my dentist had on aphex twin's selected ambient works 1 on the other day

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    R.A.M.P.'s "Everybody loves the sunshine" in this outlet spot

made me stay outside and not buying anything.