a question for Cosmo

doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I know that Cosmo is/was a Strutter, although I'm not sure if he's still posting on here, but I wanted to know what is up with this?:reason being, we have been doin "The Get Back" out here in Vegas for a while now (we just had our 5 year anniversay a couple weeks back). We've had Jrocc as a guest before and we've even discussed having Cosmo as a guest before... http://www.thegetbackvegas.comhttp://www.myspace.com/thegetbackvegasanyway, not trying to specifically call Cosmo out or anything, I just wondered if you or anyone on the Strut can tell me who's the promoter thats throwing this party?

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

JAZ-O'S GONNA BE THERE???

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Sorry to hear that they stole your parties name (99 CRATES!!!!!), but i am hype to now know about this event given that i am taking this Friday off.

COSMO, whats the word on the RSVP???

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    What's the big deal? I don't think people are going to confuse your party with Cosmo's.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Thats a pretty shitty drawing of Cosmo. (no offense if a strutter drew that).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude - c'mon.

Did you guys invent "The Get Back" out of nowhere? Pretty sure you got that from someone else.

And why should you care if a party - thrown 3000 miles away - has the same name as your night in Vegas? It's not like they're competing with you, let alone *guffaw guffaw* biting your night.

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    Did you guys invent "The Get Back" out of nowhere? Pretty sure you got that from someone else.

And why should you care if a party - thrown 3000 miles away - has the same name as your night in Vegas? It's not like they're competing with you, let alone *guffaw guffaw* biting your night.

I wasn???t aware of any parties anywhere dubbed ???The Get Back??? when we started it, although maybe I???m wrong.

And it???s not like I???m losing any sleep over this or anything, but I would like to let the promoter know that an established night exists with the same name, albeit maybe with an entirely different vibe???

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

its a pretty shitty drawing of all those dudes... (no offense if a strutter drew that).

I wasn???t aware of any parties anywhere dubbed ???The Get Back??? when we started it, although maybe I???m wrong.

And it???s not like I???m losing any sleep over this or anything, but I would like to let the promoter know that an established night exists with the same name, albeit maybe with an entirely different vibe???

Look - I don't mean to rag on you but you're talking about two parties in two entirely different parts of the country. It's not likely that people are going to confuse the two.

And my thing about "Get Back" is that it's a phrase from the cultural past, like "Get Down" or "Funky Chicken" or whatever. You can't really claim trademark on it.

Now, if someone else in Vegas went around calling their night "the Get Back"? THat's a legit beef but trying to step to a NY promoter over it doesn't make much sense.

By the way, there's also a night in Philly called "The Get Back." You gonna step to them too?

Cos is looking mad chinky-eyed in it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cos is looking mad chinky-eyed in it.

He looks like Paw Waw.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

You can't really claim trademark on it.

Generally, you can't claim a trademark for anything that isn't a registered trademarked.

• Thats a pretty shitty drawing of Cosmo. (no offense if a strutter drew that).

its a pretty shitty drawing of all those dudes... (no offense if a strutter drew that).

But damn.. have that shit out here in LA to mang!!

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    Look - I don't mean to rag on you but you're talking about two parties in two entirely different parts of the country. It's not likely that people are going to confuse the two.

Now, if someone else in Vegas went around calling their night "the Get Back"? THat's a legit beef but trying to step to a NY promoter over it doesn't make much sense.

I hear where you're coming from, but there is a possibility of us doing our night in NY, due to the venue's (Beauty Bar) desire to have us do a tour of all there locales. Not sure if this will ever come to fruition, but who knows. Like I said, I'm not losing sleep, but I would like to inform the promoter of our night. Am I really that off base here?

By the way, there's also a night in Philly called "The Get Back." You gonna step to them too?

They posted this on their website before we even knew about their night:
    "February 20th, 2007
    Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Cluelessness
    Embarrassingly, Google has brought me to this: The Get Back Las Vegas, a soul/classic hip hop/etc. dance night out in Sin City. And they???ve been at it for three years now, too, which is just about 3 years longer than we have.
    The lesson here? Do your research, kids. But also, if you???re playing different music hundreds of miles away and you???ve already got the website and flyers and all that going, you should be okay, right? Check ???em out if you???re ever in Vegas on a first Friday."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey everyone,

I'm excited about this party. It's during CMJ and it will be good to play alongside Spinna and Pharoahe again, and I've never met J. Rocc but for sure it's a really good bill all around.

doeizm, it must have been you that I've talked to on Myspace about having me out at your party in Las Vegas. Hopefully that can work out one of these days but since your party is always on the first Friday of the month that makes it kind of hard because The Rub is always on the first Saturday of the month. With that being the case, I try to keep my travel limited on the first weekends. But who knows what will happen.

As for my involvement, with this event, I've never met the promoters before but they are paying very well and have put together a solid line-up. Also it's being co-sponsored by Digiwaxx, who I deal with on the regular. Me and Spinna are doing a mix for this party which should be available for download in a couple days.

Also, being that the topic of this thread is "a question for Cosmo," I don't see how this isn't in a sense "calling me out."

I did a party in Philadelphia for 10 years now (6 years as a weekly) and it was called "The Remedy." In no way is that the most original name, as I've met many people who have done parties with the same name. Such is the nature of this business. Now if your party was called "WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA, FEETS CAN'T FAIL ME NOW, THE RETURN PART INFINITY SQUARED" and that's what this party was called then I could see your point. But other than that I don't really think you have a leg to stand on.

This might as well be an argument circa 1995 with rap dudes with songs named "Shit Is Real."

AIR IT OUT[/b]

B/W

"When you see me in the streets, show me some respect!"

Peace,

CB

PS: Oh yeah, that's a hell of a drawing, isn't it. Do you NOT see the resemblance?

I know that Cosmo is/was a Strutter, although I'm not sure if he's still posting on here, but I wanted to know what is up with this?:

reason being, we have been doin "The Get Back" out here in Vegas for a while now (we just had our 5 year anniversay a couple weeks back). We've had Jrocc as a guest before and we've even discussed having Cosmo as a guest before...
    http://www.thegetbackvegas.com
    http://www.myspace.com/thegetbackvegas

anyway, not trying to specifically call Cosmo out or anything, I just wondered if you or anyone on the Strut can tell me who's the promoter thats throwing this party?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And for the record doeism, I'm almost 100% positive that this is just a one-off for CMJ, so that shouldn't impact any tour plans you have for New York.

• WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA, FEETS CAN'T FAIL ME NOW, THE RETURN PART INFINITY SQUARED
    *gufaw*gufaw*

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Both of you are lucky you didn't name your night The Wet Back.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

• whats not mentioned that this is but one of a huge string of big gigs for Cos this week, real world moves!!
    I nearly fell off my seat when I got the email the other day, anyways, hope its blast
    And if you're not already in 'the mood' heres J Rocc's set at the Root Down when it hit NYC in August 2005, with Dusk (RIP) on the mic
    ZSHARE

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Hey everyone,

I'm excited about this party. It's during CMJ and it will be good to play alongside Spinna and Pharoahe again, and I've never met J. Rocc but for sure it's a really good bill all around.

It's strange to me that Coz has never crossed paths with J.Rocc before, given both dudes' influence on the game.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

wow.

Man this thread is chock full 'o comedy.

doesim, I understand your point, but I agree with everyone. There's quite a few nights with similar funk titles (I'm sure there's more than one "Good Foot", etc.) and it looks like just a one off so I wouldn't trip.

Cosmo they drew you as an old Chinese B-Boy with no lips. Who did that artwork btw?

• Hey everyone,

It's strange to me that Coz has never crossed paths with J.Rocc before, given both dudes' influence on the game.

cos don't you get enough respect in here without making up aliases to big up yourself?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Im starting the Rub here in my home town

hurrrr hurrrrr.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

LOL. damn, that's funny.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

LOL. damn, that's funny.

CLASSIC. The resident Dominican loves it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Ha ha! I made that in response to the following MyspaceStrut message from the one Soulmarcosa:

[i]Herm -

I'm accepting your friend request on the condition that you don't try and hit on my Oaxacan gf in California. Just because you're about 2000 miles closer to her than I am doesn't mean I'm not watching you. I seen your slowdance moves with bay area female strutters so consider yourself on alert, ese.

- Marco