Joe Jackson's 'Look Sharp' Appreciation

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Just for the douchetards dating honeys anthem 'Is She Really Going Out With Him' if nothing else. But this record has got plenty more outstanding cuts. Power Pop, reggae Randy Newman, heartbreaking ballads. Dude covered the bases. When I think of the term 'artist' I immediately think of guys like Joe Jackson. I can imagine these songs being sung by almost anyone, in any genre. They're that good. For your downloading enjoyment. Look Sharp

Comments

• Steppin' Out is my shit. It reminds of one summer as a little kid watching pbs (they would always play that in between shows for some reason, that and Tears for Fears "everybody wants to rule the world")

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    You should check this platter out if you haven't already.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    'Got the Time' is the shit! Anthrax just did a straight cover of that and it sounds like it was written by a punk/metal group!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love that record. I was introduced to it when a friend of mine in junior high found a dubbed cassette on his street that had Dead Kennedy's on one side and Joe Jackson on the other. He was all geeked about it being good and on a trip that we took with his parents to Laughlin, Nevada, I got to hear it for the first time...and loved it.

Still do now...every song on that album is a winner.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The "I'm the Man" LP is almost as good, too -
    certainly "It's Different For Girls" is one
    of his best songs ever. A local radio station
    used to play "Friday" late every Friday afternoon,
    it was one of those awesome radio bits where you
    were sitting at work and could just feel the weekend
    coming when that song came on.

But, yeah, "Look Sharp" is a masterpiece. I have a
    cool double 10" pressing of it, still play it pretty
    often. One of those albums that seems over before it
    gets started, because you never get bored, it just keeps
    going.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    great lp

"is she really going out with him" alover am radio back in the day
    with that heavy reggae beat was wonderfull
    the title track rocks
    thanks for the dl
    looking forward to revisiting it !

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    "Is She Really Going Out with Him?"[/b] is my shit.

• Love this album. My favorite parts are the guitar on "Look Sharp" and the bassline on "Got the Time." Killer!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    that and Tears for Fears "everybody wants to rule the world"

i think Songs from the Big Chair is worthy of its own appreciation thread. "The Working Hour" is a great great song. and i loved the video for "Head Over Heels" in the library. god i used to have a huge crush on roland orzabal when i was a kid

i think Songs from the Big Chair is worthy of its own appreciation thread. "The Working Hour" is a great great song. and i loved the video for "Head Over Heels" in the library. god i used to have a huge crush on roland orzabal when i was a kid

Not sure if Roland Orzabal is gay or not...but I was just thinking the other day about so much of the new wave music that I liked during the mid-80's being so entirely, overtly gay without junior high me having a clue one way or another.

I guess it all started with Yaz...which I only started liking because I learned that girls that I liked liked them.

I already told the story of wearing a Depeche Mode shirt to football practice.

I just don't get how I could view a song such as So in Love by OMD as anything but gay.

Live and learn, live and learn...

• I love all of his early stuff, but especially 'Beat Crazy' which for some reason has been out of print for a while...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I love his Night & day and big world lp's, real classics imo...

Another good thing about them is they are easy to cop!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Steppin' Out is my shit.

Yes!

(sing along)

Now -
    The mist across the window hides the lines
    But nothing hides the colour of the lights that shine
    Electricity so fine
    Look and dry your eyes

We -
    So tired of all the darkness in our lives
    With no more angry words to say
    Can come alive
    Get into a car and drive
    To the other side

Me babe - steppin out
    Into the night
    Into the light
    You babe - steppin out
    Into the night
    Into the light

We -
    Are young but getting old before our time
    Well leave the t.v. and the radio behind
    Dont you wonder what well find
    Steppin out tonight

You -
    Can dress in pink and blue just like a child
    And in a yellow taxi turn to me and smile
    Well be there in just a while
    If you follow me

Me babe - steppin out
    Into the night
    Into the light
    You babe - steppin out
    Into the night
    Into the light

karaoke Dance floor dynamite.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

There's a new game
    We like to play you see
    A game with added reality
    You treat me like a dog
    Get me down on my knees
    We call it master and servant
    We call it master and servant
    It's a lot like life
    This play between the sheets
    With you on top and me underneath
    Forget all about equality
    Let's play master and servant
    It's a lot like life
    And that's what's appealing
    If you despise that throwaway feeling
    From disposable fun
    Then this is the one
    Domination's the name of the game
    In bed or in life
    They're both just the same
    Except in one you're fulfilled
    At the end of the day
    Come on, master and servant

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You must dance like this though.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Joe Jackson sophistifunk:

This is my favorite JJ track.

Not sure if Roland Orzabal is gay or not...but I was just thinking the other day about so much of the new wave music that I liked during the mid-80's being so entirely, overtly gay without junior high me having a clue one way or another.

I guess it all started with Yaz...which I only started liking because I learned that girls that I liked liked them.

I just don't get how I could view a song such as So in Love by OMD as anything but gay.

Actually, it all started with Queen. I was into them way too much to not even realize that Freddy Mercury was gay. I remember I was 11 years old staying with my grandmother in Panama for a few weeks during the summer. I bought some sort of rock-n-roll magazine at the PX and one night when I was reading a Queen article in it, my uncle somehow dropped a bomb on me that at that point I hardly even understood.

You would think though that if I knew about Freddie Mercury at 11, I could figure out Frankie Goes to Hollywood at 13.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Actually, it all started with Queen. I was into them way too much to not even realize that Freddy Mercury was gay. I remember I was 11 years old staying with my grandmother in Panama for a few weeks during the summer. I bought some sort of rock-n-roll magazine at the PX and one night when I was reading a Queen article in it, my uncle somehow dropped a bomb on me that at that point I hardly even understood.

You would think though that if I knew about Freddie Mercury at 11, I could figure out Frankie Goes to Hollywood at 13.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts