Greatest Burt Bacharach covers? (RR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
The best ones I can think of are "Walk on By" by Isaac Hayes, "Close to You" by Carl Holmes and "This Guys In Love with You" by the Dramatics. What am I forgetting?

Comments

• Maybe a bit cheesy but I really like Enoch light's version of Knowing when to leave from his Spaced out album. The arrangements are just sweet.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The best ones I can think of are "Walk on By" by Isaac Hayes, "Close to You" by Carl Holmes and "This Guys In Love with You" by the Dramatics. What am I forgetting?

"my little red book" by Love...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"

Elvis Costello
    The White Stripes
    Dusty Springfield

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I still have my soundfile up from the last
    time we had this thread, six weeks ago

• hwat about:

JIM O'ROUKE - "something big"

• Thee Midnighters - Walk on By

- J

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This Girl's In Love With You - Marva Whitney

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    james brown - any day now

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself"

Tommy Hunt

• The best ones I can think of are "Walk on By" by Isaac Hayes,

GOAT[/b]

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Cyrkle - It Doesn't Matter Anymore

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Joanne Garrett's "Walk On By" is pretty nice too...kind of like the "motown" version to Hayes' Stax version.

• its not in the same league as Hayes of course but i always liked Novi Singers sing Bacharach[/b] LP. good listen for sunny & lazy afternoons IMHO

• any day now

for me, the Chuck Jackson one cant be beat

• cal tjader.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I cant believe nobody has mentioned it already, but for me, Curtis doing "We've Only Just Begun" off the Live album is one my faveorites, among many.

What's ya'lls favorite version of Wichita Lineman? Am I the only sap that likes that song?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I cant believe nobody has mentioned it already, but for me, Curtis doing "We've Only Just Begun" off the Live album is one my faveorites, among many.

What's ya'lls favorite version of Wichita Lineman? Am I the only sap that likes that song?

We've Only Just Begun - Lee McDonald's modern soul heatery
    Walk on By - the Stranglers coming on like the Doors

Wichita Lineman is by Jimmy Webb....
    but it's great tune anyway; I like Jose Feliciano's version.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Wichita Lineman is one of the greatest songs in the history of songs. Before my ext HD died i had about 550 versions of this tune. The og Glen campbell version will probably always be my favorite, but not necessarily the best. I am very fond of the King Harvest version too

No singer is better suited for Bacharach / David compositions than Dionne Warwick. Isaac Hayes' version of Walk On By is dope on a badazz groove level, but it is NOT better than Dionne's og version

she looks quite tranvestitey in this video

• Wichita Lineman is by Jimmy Webb....
    but it's great tune anyway; I like Jose Feliciano's version.

Truth. I didn't mean to miply that was one of Burt'r tracks, just that is almost a standard with many unfuckwitable versions. I like Hillie Hutch doin it, but there are alot of goodins.

Phil-
    Damn man, I'm, sorry to hear bout your HD dropping those. 550 versions!!! Damn. I can set you up w/ 30ish or so of the versions I have if you want, nothing too cutty.

I agree w/ you tho, Glenn murders that shit. I listened to that vers three times in a row riding my bike to work this morning. So good in the sunshine thinkng bout my lady...

• Isaac hayes "The Look Of Love"

but i also second Thee Midnighters version of "Walk On By"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Phil-
    Damn man, I'm, sorry to hear bout your HD dropping those. 550 versions!!! Damn. I can set you up w/ 30ish or so of the versions I have if you want, nothing too cutty.

yeah, if you could hook that up i'd appreciate it. i just got back a lot of my GOMLW's, now i need my look of love's, PMTWGR's, etc. etc.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Joann Garrett's version of "Walk on By" is amazing.

The Capprells' version of "Walk on By" has got to be my favorite though.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    No singer is better suited for Bacharach / David compositions than Dionne Warwick.

Huge on that one. Having grown up in the 80's, I mostly knew Dionne Warwick for "That's What Friends Are For" and then the Psychic Friends Network. Since I got satellite radio though I listen to a channel that plays a lot of Warwick singing Bacharach tunes and it's amazing how good they are and how naturally the two seem to fit together.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was gonna say this one, for his use of NAGL-brand tanning sauce,
    of course the towel, and the uber-yacht atomsphere of polished wood
    with spacious and vaguely exotic panorama view:

But I think this one might win on chin effect alone:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, if we're gonna be rappin' on Bacharach's fashion sense, how about this album cover, where he predates the 80's "preppie" craze by a good ten years:
    . Who else in those groovy early seventies would be rockin' the upturned polo collar?