Broken MPC

wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
so the shift button and the left fader died on my mpc 2000xl, apparently it could take 8 weeks for all the parts and repairs (I live in Australia). I think i'll go mad if I don't have something to bash my fingers upon unitl then. I'm not really into using computers to make music , I have some standard programs like peak and cool edit pro.I've been looking at sp 303's and sp 404's and it looks like i could pick either up for roughly the same price on ebay, is it worth buying one of these and which one is better? i suppose once my mpc was fixed i could still have some use for it too. I know the 404 probably has some more memory or something but it seems like most peole would opt for the 303? any suggestions?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    List it as VG+.

• Why not get one of these and use it with Reason till your mpc gets back. Then you can tap all day without spending too much money.

Whoah, that pic is giving me the polka dot effect.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there's an updated version of those pads, the mpd24 and korg's padkontrol that i would recommend over the mpd16

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    thanks brian, i've heard the 16 is shit. i'll go price check those. my only concern is once i get my mpc back i'll have no use for the pads.

• there's an updated version of those pads, the mpd24 and korg's padkontrol that i would recommend over the mpd16

Yeah, but that's $200. A hundred isn't much and yu can throw it in the closet for next time or flip it to some poor cat in the same situation. Keep in mind I've never tried one. I have an MPC3000 but I'd just use a keyboard to hammer out some shit. Not as good as pads but better than a mouse click.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've just heard bad enough things about the mpd16 that i wouldn't even pay 20 bucks for it.

wooshie, you should be able to pick up a 303 for pretty cheap on ebay and after you get your mpc back you can still use it to tweak samples and whatever. as far as i remember, the 404 has more ram, more effects, and can be battery powered but i would double check on that.

yeah, I think I might be on the right track by just getting a 303 or a 404 (whichever I come across easier). I'm a tad retarded when it comes to controllers and midi and things like reason, shit i have to plug in to my computer. I'll get there one day. I've been using computers forever to do editing and chops but i've never done any programming or sequencing, I'm sure it's easy as pie, but eh!

This video freaked me out because he pretty much does the same thing I have for a while, pretty much the only thing i use the computer for when it comes to music. i'd say he does it a lot better.

thanks for the help, taza and brian.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah, I think I might be on the right track by just getting a 303 or a 404 (whichever I come across easier). I'm a tad retarded when it comes to controllers and midi and things like reason, shit i have to plug in to my computer. I'll get there one day. I've been using computers forever to do editing and chops but i've never done any programming or sequencing, I'm sure it's easy as pie, but eh!

This video freaked me out because he pretty much does the same thing I have for a while, pretty much the only thing i use the computer for when it comes to music. i'd say he does it a lot better.

thanks for the help, taza and brian.
    they are both pretty cool. Ive owned each at one point. Just real limited when it comes to seqin and composing full tracks. But they are mad fun to fuck around with and do loops with or use the effects. I now own the sp606 and its cool when i like to take a break from my mpc2000xl. The electribe series are also pretty cool machines. The older es1 is pretty cheap and gives a lot of bang for your buck.

Did you already send out the mpc though? I know you can get parts and those problems i think are pretty easy to fix if i remember. the fader is a simple replacement. If you still have it you can use it to seq the computer.

oh and what program is this dude using? cool edit? the red skin is throwing me off.

yeah its just cool edit.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    never really used it. im a soundforge/wavelab dude.

• I have also heard those little drum pad joints you run to your computer don't compare to the real thing at all. I sold two MPCs a few years back, thinking everything I did on it I could do on a computer. Maybe it's just not for me, but I havent done SHIT since I got rid of the MPCs...not that I was suuuper productive before, or deeeeeeep into making music, but it was definitely a hobby that I enjoyed.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    so the shift button and the left fader died on my mpc 2000xl, apparently it could take 8 weeks for all the parts and repairs (I live in Australia).

Who did you order/get the repair from? Whenever my MPC dies (maybe once a year either the screen, buttons, headphone out etc... die) I just order the parts myself and fix it myself. The parts take 4-5 days to get here from Japan (I'm in Canada) and it takes me 20 minutes to fix it. The only hard part was the screen removal as it was stuck to the case (I have the OG Mpc2000 first model). If you know how to unscrew something it's easy to do.