Happy Birthday Fela Kuti

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
today he would have been 69. Gonna play nothin but Fela on the radio show this week.dude made some music.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    AWESOME!

• Met him once. Made sure he got to sample California produce.

• Happy Birthday...Simple is best: he did indeed make some music.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

[color:red]
    MUSICIAN
    WARRIOR
    SCHOLAR
    [/color][/b]

("Them Regular Trademark!")

[color:black]
    AFRICAN
    ACTIVIST
    FATHER
    LEADER
    [/color][/b]

[color:green]
    REBEL
    TEACHER
    MAVERICK
    [/color][/b]

The music of war, the music of protest, the music of identity and culture.

The voice of a continent.

The first thing I see when I wake up in the morning:

For those of you who are unaware of Fela and his importance and legacy, please take the time to read about one of the most important musical and political figures of the 20th century.

FELA KUTI[/b]

And to get your ears and MINDS acquainted to Fela Kuti, the Godfather of Afrobeat:

Fela Kuti "Monkey Banana"

Fela Kuti "Yellow Fever"

Fela Kuti "Jeun Ko Ku Chop"

Fela Kuti "Water No Get Enemy"

Fela Kuti "Upside Down"

Fela Kuti & Roy Ayers "2000 Blacks Got To Be Free"

For anyone in New York tonight, I would highly recommend to go check out my ace Rich Medina's birthday to Fela tribute party. Rich is a brother and a great DJ, and in my opinion the best Afrobeat DJ on the planet. More info can be found here.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Simple is best

Hahah...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yes!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• fela lives forever

happy birthday and many thanks

• In his honor I'm going to come to work wearing nothing but my underwear all week. I also plan on having sex with lots of different women and smoking a lot weed. Will probably have some all night jam sessions as well. RIP.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In his honor I'm going to come to work wearing nothing but my underwear all week. I also plan on having sex with lots of different women and smoking a lot weed. Will probably have some all night jam sessions as well. RIP.

!!!!!! FUCK YES !!!!!!

• one of my favorite shots, I want this made into a poster:

• fela lives forever

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    one of my favorite shots, I want this made into a poster:

The eyes!

• On a realated note, I have a questions for the continuum...

Are there any solo Ginger Baker records that are worth checking for? I've picked up one that has Africa 70 as the backing band (forgive me, the name escapes me at the moment and I'm at work) and it's pretty good. Very straight forward afro-beat that dosen't move too far awar from this..

I know (for the most part) about his Cream and Blind Faith albums, just wanted to know if there were any more Afro-beat LP's?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You should cop "Stratavarious" - that's like his only other afrobeat influenced record.

• You should cop "Stratavarious" - that's like his only other afrobeat influenced record.

That's the record I just found and couldn't think of the name...I was just getting ready to post the pic before you beat me to the punch.

So yeah - this is the one I picked up and I'm feeling it. Are there any others like it or was this just a one time thing?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    He who carries death in his pouch!

Can anyone recommend a good book on Fela? I know there's a couple out there.

• He who carries death in his pouch!

Can anyone recommend a good book on Fela? I know there's a couple out there.

This looks pretty good...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey guys..here at casa africa I am organizing a Fela exposition there will be a photo ex, a musical ambiance and a movie presentation

Any DVD's to recommend?

Also does anyone have Coffin for Head of State to upload..its an incredible tune and we have the CD but it is scratchedup...

I will return the favour by uploading Fela Albums of your choosing

thanks in advance