Rock-Jazz Fusion, who created it?

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I mean who is credited for starting this? Miles Davis, Coltrane, Eddie Harris, Gil Evans, Jamal, Miles's band Hancock? Or has this been broken down on this site before? Jaco Pastorius described is music as Punk Jazz... , interesting... Who else would have described their music as Punk Jazz?...Also let's not for get the Vocalist of this time, Al Jarreau, Flora Purim, who else???? My mind is just seconds away from shutting down, hopfully we can colabarate soon...

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

My mind is just seconds away from shutting down, hopfully we can colabarate soon...

Killing it right now, son.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Bitches Brew doggie

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I mean who is credited for starting this? Miles Davis, Coltrane, Eddie Harris, Gil Evans, Jamal, Miles's band Hancock? Or has this been broken down on this site before?

Jaco Pastorius described is music as Punk Jazz... , interesting... Who else would have described their music as Punk Jazz?...

Also let's not for get the Vocalist of this time, Al Jarreau, Flora Purim, who else????

My mind is just seconds away from shutting down, hopfully we can colabarate soon...

Oh, dear.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I mean who is credited for starting this? Miles Davis, Coltrane, Eddie Harris, Gil Evans, Jamal, Miles's band Hancock? Or has this been broken down on this site before?

Jaco Pastorius described is music as Punk Jazz... , interesting... Who else would have described their music as Punk Jazz?...

Also let's not for get the Vocalist of this time, Al Jarreau, Flora Purim, who else????

Oh, dear.

nuff said.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts

coltrane?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that a review of "Songs Of Innocence", possibly in Downbeat, was responsible for the first use in print of the term "jazz fusion". I'd imagine that "jazz-rock" would probably have first been applied to Miles' work c. "Bitches Brew"/"Live Evil", but that came a little later.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Who created it....tuff question, in the late 60??s music styles began to melt together, Jimi Hendrix influenced many, he was doing some real early mid 60's psychrock(fusion), early on jazzmusicians would do like beatles covers and their record would be half rock half jazz,...TONS of souljazz people like Cannonball Adderley and Horace Silver ect ect shaping the shapes to come,.... a couple weeks ago I was checking my dads Coltrane's (early 60's stuff) and there was some serious modal bassline heat, could easely have been a jazzrock line from the 70's....!

Check out George Duke's Save The Country, The Fourth Way s/t, or early John Klemmer....

(also check out Joe Zawinul on Vortex and Steve Marcus Tomorrow Never Knows also on Vortex both from 1968,... and a wholelota 60's psychrock bands experimenting with jazz elements....)

Credit wise: Miles Davis took it to another level !

peace-

• Larry Coryell and Elvin Jones doing Stiffneck is a very early example of combining elements of jazz and rock.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Who created it....tuff question, in the late 60??s music styles began to melt together, Jimi Hendrix influenced many, he was doing some real early mid 60's psychrock(fusion), early on jazzmusicians would do like beatles covers and their record would be half rock half jazz,...TONS of souljazz people like Cannonball Adderley and Horace Silver ect ect shaping the shapes to come,.... a couple weeks ago I was checking my dads Coltrane's (early 60's stuff) and there was some serious modal bassline heat, could easely have been a jazzrock line from the 70's....!
    Check out George Duke's Save The Country, The Fourth Way s/t, or early John Klemmer....
    (also check out Joe Zawinul on Vortex and Steve Marcus Tomorrow Never Knows also on Vortex both from 1968,... and a wholelota 60's psychrock bands experimenting with jazz elements....)

Credit wise: Miles Davis took it to another level !

peace-

And don't forget the Free Spirits, featuring Larry Coryell. One album on ABC in 1967.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Miles Davis took it to another level[/b]

busted down the door, set the stage for all the major 'fusion' players from Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Gary Bartz, John McGlaughlin Herbie Hancock, and soooo many more. I am sure there may be some song, LP or artist some one can point out that establishes an earlier point of arrival, but Miles' contribution is the definitive one.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    also...dont forget the rockers who went the jazz route...I would say Soft Machine and Frank Zappa would be the pioneers coming from the other direction...then somewhere around 72 or 73, Satan himself took the ball and created pure fucking gross evil with it....

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    herbie mann baby!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    also...dont forget the rockers who went the jazz route...I would say Soft Machine and Frank Zappa would be the pioneers coming from the other direction...then somewhere around 72 or 73, Satan himself took the ball and created pure fucking gross evil with it....

Blood Sweat & Tears and Chicago went a long way toward bring all that stuff to the center and into the mainstream. A lot of rock bands employed jazz cats at that time too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This book is a pretty thorough exploration of the subject:

I really hate this crap for the most part...

• And don't forget the Free Spirits, featuring Larry Coryell. One album on ABC in 1967.

This is one of the early lp's that came to mind...

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    When its bad, its reeeeaaaaaly bad, but at its best, it just hits you with that inexplicable uggghh. Especially in the late 70's. I fucks with it. Stone Alliance anyone?

And don't forget the Free Spirits, featuring Larry Coryell. One album on ABC in 1967.

Early fusion sound,... what about Chico Hamilton's El Chico album on Impulse, recorded August 1965

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Early fusion sound,... what about Chico Hamilton's El Chico album on Impulse, recorded August 1965

I don't hear anything particularly rockish on that album.

I don't hear anything particularly rockish on that album.

More like a progressive jazzlatin vibe, still the bassline riffs and Gabor Szabo's improvising sounds imo like elements of early fusion