JIMI HENDRIX: High, Live & Dirty

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So i'm sitting here listening to Jimi Hendrix' High, Live & Dirty, one of the most unintentionally funniest records ever made. Trip Records worked overtime during the seventies releasing old Hendrix floor scrapings, but they outdid themselves here.(1) This, of course, is the infamous tape of the cira-'69 late night jam session w/Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Johnny Winter, and a bunch of other people I can't recall right now. Evidently Nutmeg Records (distributed by Trip) didn't know this, or they would have advertised the rest...just like the umpteen other labels that put this out...(2) Why the fuck were superstar jam sessions so popular back then? Were people so high that they couldn't hear that this music ain't going no-where? At least jazz guys jam on a song before they start going off on tangents; Jimi & co. just start wailing away with no focus. Lord, I HATE hippie blues wank!(3) Guess they loved Jim Morrison too much to tell him to get off the stage.(4) ...but what he sings is pretty funny! "FUCK HER IN THE ASS!" On the track titled "F.H.I.T.A.".(5) The cover goes to great pains to remind us that this recording is "RATED X" and "NOT SUITABLE FOR AIRPLAY." One track, "Jimi's Blues," happens to be instrumental, so they EDIT in Jim Morrison's cussing from the other tracks...(6) They didn't have enough tracks to go around, so they cut one long song into two different parts ("Peoples People" and "In The Morning").(7) Red vinyl - hallelujah!

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm surprised only that Paul Winley is not involved.

• Sounds better than "Doriella DuFontaine"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Really? Probably not.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I have never seen this vinyl. Pic??

I do have a boot with Morrison on it. He is just screamin and wailin' while Jimi is playin away. Two tracks with Morrison on it with Jimi, which I think are two tracks commonly found on the early 90's releases of Jimi stuff on compact disc.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    [color:red]I do have a boot with Morrison on it. He is just screamin and wailin' while Jimi is playin away. Two tracks with Morrison on it with Jimi, which I think are two tracks commonly found on the early 90's releases of Jimi stuff on compact disc. [/color]

We may be talking about the same record.

Just like with a lot of Hendrix records not on Reprise, this same material has been recycled on one album after another. Sometimes it's been recycled on the same album (see #6 on my original post).

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This is another one I have on CD:

1 Little Wing (Live) (3:08)
    2 Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (Live) (7:18)
    3 Purple Haze (Live) (3:06)
    4 Sunshine of Your Love (Live) (6:39)
    5 Bleeding Heart (Live) (10:43)
    6 Woke up This Morning and Found Myself Dead (Live) (8:02)
    7 Tomorrow Never Knows (Live) (1:34)
    8 Fire (Live) (3:37)
    9 Wild Thing (Live) (1:19)
    10 Morrison's Lament (Live) (3:29)
    11 (CD 2) Red House (Live) (10:33)
    12 (CD 2) Good Times (4:04)
    13 (CD 2) Voices (5:11)
    14 (CD 2) Voice in the Wind (2:46)
    15 (CD 2) Two in One Goes (2:29)
    16 (CD 2) Let Me Go (2:39)
    17 (CD 2) Uranus Rock (Live) (6:36)
    18 (CD 2) Outside Woman Blues (Live) (6:45)
    19 (CD 2) Room Full of Mirrors (Extended Version)(Live) (8:07)

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    just listened to this off the shelf yesterday, not too bad:

Jimi Hendrix - Rare Hendrix
    Trip Records 9500

Jimi- guitar
    Lonnie Youngblood- sax
    Herman Hitson- guitar
    Lee Moses- guitar

1.Good Feeling
    2.Voice in the Wind
    3.GoGo Shoes pt.1
    4.GoGo Shoes pt.2