Kool and the Gang > Mandrill + WAR

13»

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    No way, I lived at 394 Metropolitan from about 98 to 01. 363 is currently a Collision Repair shop, right next to Clear Channel's new Luna Lounge venue. Opposite Black Betty. Yay.

Local Black Exp in Williamsburg circa early 70's??
    Wrecka Sto'? Chuurchez?

Hmmm, let me check Wikipedia's entry for Williamsburg music scene. Nope, no LBE in Williamsburg. It says there were some Puerto Ricans but they are all into "Latin Jazz". No mention of any of tha 4 elements.

Seriously, the more I learn about Wburg, the more I see the current "scene" is but a flash in the pan. I just find it pretty sickening how self-perpetuating it is: The gentle face of white supremacy.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I've heard that this was an early incarnation of The Gang, but I could be wrong.

"Jammin' With Shorty" - Shorty and the Junior Kools

WOW.... great sly stone thank you interpretation , thanks for posting this but i dont see how it could be an early incarnation cause the thank you track was a late 69 1970s hit record for sly and kool and the gang recorded their first album in 1969, although i do see the connection name plus being from new jersey and all.

oh yeah.....may i just add that kool and the gang VAPOURIZES most competition!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Earth wind and fire > Kool and the gang > mandrill and war by like a mile.

- spidey

Jinx, a small time drug dealer and patron of the arts gave the group free space in his basement to rehearse. One day three men came into the basement and start yelling for the guys to stop the music. They are narcotics agents. They question the group. One agent takes a bag of drugs and places it under a pillow in plain sight. Another agent asks,
    ???If I find any drugs under that pillow, whose gonna take the weight for it????

Another asks, ???If I find any drugs under this couch, who???s gonna take the weight???? No one answers. They handcuff the group and place them on the floor of the basement for seven hours. Everyone who entered the house that day was handcuffed and placed on the floor of the basement. At the end of the night they were taken to Greenville lockup. Gene Redd came to get them out. No charges were pressed.

The next morning at another rehearsal hall, Kool & The Gang collectively wrote Who???s Gonna Take The Weight.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I've heard that this was an early incarnation of The Gang, but I could be wrong.

WOW.... great sly stone thank you interpretation ,

Perhaps it's that I'm drunk, but I am NOT hearing this?!?!

I need a third party to convince me to reevaluate my opinion in the morning.

kthxbai

• I've heard that this was an early incarnation of The Gang, but I could be wrong.

WOW.... great sly stone thank you interpretation , thanks for posting this but i dont see how it could be an early incarnation cause the thank you track was a late 69 1970s hit record for sly and kool and the gang recorded their first album in 1969, although i do see the connection name plus being from new jersey and all.

They could have recorded under a different name for that record, maybe it wasn't early, just a slightly different line-up. Or, maybe someone in the group heard Sly performing Thank You live before it was recorded. Perhaps it was one of those moments of synchronicity where two people come up with the same idea independently. Like I said, it's just what I heard and I don't even remember where from.

• I've heard that this was an early incarnation of The Gang, but I could be wrong.

WOW.... great sly stone thank you interpretation ,

Perhaps it's that I'm drunk, but I am NOT hearing this?!?!

I need a third party to convince me to reevaluate my opinion in the morning.

kthxbai

lyrically/vocally, not musically. Listen around 0:43. And the horn line at 1:44 is taken from Sing a Simple Song.
    And the organist slept through the recording with his head on the organ.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No way, I lived at 394 Metropolitan from about 98 to 01. 363 is currently a Collision Repair shop, right next to Clear Channel's new Luna Lounge venue. Opposite Black Betty. Yay.

Local Black Exp in Williamsburg circa early 70's??
    Wrecka Sto'? Chuurchez?

Hmmm, let me check Wikipedia's entry for Williamsburg music scene. Nope, no LBE in Williamsburg. It says there were some Puerto Ricans but they are all into "Latin Jazz". No mention of any of tha 4 elements.

Seriously, the more I learn about Wburg, the more I see the current "scene" is but a flash in the pan. I just find it pretty sickening how self-perpetuating it is: The gentle face of white supremacy.

Just to cut the current Williamsberg some slack. Its largely an industrial hood. So before the Polish N Boriquas what was really there? And as usual the fisrt wave of Caucasoids are "poor" artists.

I can imagine that address was strictly a pressing plant/office space that didnt serve the immediate hood.

They could have recorded under a different name for that record, maybe it wasn't early, just a slightly different line-up. Or, maybe someone in the group heard Sly performing Thank You live before it was recorded. Perhaps it was one of those moments of synchronicity where two people come up with the same idea independently. Like I said, it's just what I heard and I don't even remember where from.

Shorty and the Junior Kools were in no way related to Kool & the Gang.
    They were a group of pre-teenagers in Jersey who decided to be the "little" Kool & the Gang after the band's local success. Kool and them were known as the Jazziacs to begin with anyway. I mean, the Gang were top-notch musicians and the drummer on the O.W. 45 sounds like George Brown in a coma.

Probably the most obscure, non-LP Kool cuts:

"Can???t Stop (Doing It To You)/ Kool It (Here Comes The Fuzz)" (De-Lite 525)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Just to cut the current Williamsberg some slack. Its largely an industrial hood. So before the Polish N Boriquas what was really there? And as usual the fisrt wave of Caucasoids are "poor" artists.

I can imagine that address was strictly a pressing plant/office space that didnt serve the immediate hood.

TYPICAL UPTOWN BIAS!!! A tree grew there once. Let me see, what were the gangs doing in Williamsburg in the late 60s? ... Oh yeah, inventing Breakdancing!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cool early press of the band's first record:

Hey, I have that one. Raer? Price Czech? Not that I'm going to give it up, but I'm curious (notknowingmyowncollectionrelated).

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cool early press of the band's first record:

Hey, I have that one. Raer? Price Czech? Not that I'm going to give it up, but I'm curious (notknowingmyowncollectionrelated).

I like how they abbreviate Brooklyn as "B'klyn" even though there's plenty of space for the whole word.

• Shorty and the Junior Kools were in no way related to Kool & the Gang.
    They were a group of pre-teenagers in Jersey who decided to be the "little" Kool & the Gang after the band's local success. Kool and them were known as the Jazziacs to begin with anyway. I mean, the Gang were top-notch musicians and the drummer on the O.W. 45 sounds like George Brown in a coma.

Probably the most obscure, non-LP Kool cuts:

"Can???t Stop (Doing It To You)/ Kool It (Here Comes The Fuzz)" (De-Lite 525)

i knew youd appear

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Shorty and the Junior Kools were in no way related to Kool & the Gang.
    They were a group of pre-teenagers in Jersey who decided to be the "little" Kool & the Gang after the band's local success.

Well, damn, how many "junior Kools" were there? The Kay-Gees had the same reputation! (Of course, they were led by Kool Bell's younger brother and recorded for Gang Records, which was K&TG-owned...)