SPORTS, STEROIDS, DISCUSS

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Regarding the last one, Marion Jones. I heard on NPR today that the second place finisher is tied to allegations of performance enhancers as well. How many more cheaters do we have to witness?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

How many more cheaters do we have to witness?

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I would definitely rock that jacket.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I wouldn't consider it cheating. This is what they do for a living and they want to be in optimal shape. It's not like you take steroids and you get stronger automatically. It still takes a lot of work and your diet still needs to be in check. They're all genetically gifted, steroids just pushes the limits.

I wouldn't consider it cheating.[/b] This is what they do for a living and they want to be in optimal shape. It's not like you take steroids and you get stronger automatically. It still takes a lot of work and your diet still needs to be in check. They're all genetically gifted, steroids just pushes the limits[/b].

Right, that's what makes it cheating. They are all gifted, but
    they would either all have to use drugs or all not use drugs for
    it to be a level playing field. I see it as cheating more in individual
    events like track & field and cycling than in team sports like baseball
    and football, but it's a pretty disturbing practice no matter where
    it's done - if only for the damage it can do to the user. Suicide for
    a couple years of success, in some cases.

This is what they do for a living and they want to be in optimal shape. It's not like you take steroids and you get stronger automatically. It still takes a lot of work and your diet still needs to be in check.

with this i would agree. it still takes talent to actually make contact with a 98mph fast ball, etc. yet... i feel athletes these days abuse/taint the rules/game. then again what form of entertainment is pure these days?

no where to be found in october related

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I wouldn't consider it cheating.[/b] This is what they do for a living and they want to be in optimal shape. It's not like you take steroids and you get stronger automatically. It still takes a lot of work and your diet still needs to be in check. They're all genetically gifted, steroids just pushes the limits[/b].

Right, that's what makes it cheating. They are all gifted, but
    they would either all have to use drugs or all not use drugs for
    it to be a level playing field. I see it as cheating more in individual
    events like track & field and cycling than in team sports like baseball
    and football, but it's a pretty disturbing practice no matter where
    it's done - if only for the damage it can do to the user. Suicide for
    a couple years of success, in some cases.

Well they should legalize it. If the athlete wishes to use it, they can. At least that way there would be more control about how it's used and if it's being used properly. As far as steroid use and suicide, there's no conclusive proof that steroids causes suicide. Reading all the articles about steroids and suicide comes off as a cope out without fully looking into the person's lifestyle and personality. If a person has to use steroids to get bigger, it seems like they already have some personal issues.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Well they should legalize it. If the athlete wishes to use it, they can.

And what about the ones who don't?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Well, I guess this was a dumb topic afterall. People obviously have their opinions and they won't change them.

This is my argument. Steroids are for people that somehow couldn't manage to reach the top with just their own power, or feel the need to sustain their peak form for an abnormally long duration. I wouldn't know about the expectations and pressure facing the top athletes in the world, but I do know that it takes away from integrity of sports in general. The saddest part of this whole thing is, it's not just sports. This problem extends to every facet of our life. Sometimes, you don't need to be #1 to be a winner.

In summary,

Steroids: Sports
    Cheat Sheet: Examinations

my 2cents.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts

That's their choice. Just like it's their choice to train X amount of hours a day.

As far as steroid use and suicide, there's no conclusive proof that steroids causes suicide. Reading all the articles about steroids and suicide comes off as a cope out without fully looking into the person's lifestyle and personality. If a person has to use steroids to get bigger, it seems like they already have some personal issues.

I was being figurative, at least, I wasn't refering to people
    taking their own lives because of steroids, I meant that
    steroids made them sick and shortened their lives.

Well, I guess this was a dumb topic afterall. People obviously have their opinions and they won't change them.

This is what I don't get about you.

You start a topic and people actually respond seriously
    to it, and you come back with some BS like this. What were
    you hoping for with the thread, if not for people to discuss ...
    ... as called for in the topic name itself?

• dark0dark0 61 Posts

This is my argument. Steroids are for people that somehow couldn't manage to reach the top with just their own power, or feel the need to sustain their peak form for an abnormally long duration. I wouldn't know about the expectations and pressure facing the top athletes in the world, but I do know that it takes away from integrity of sports in general.

In summary,

Steroids: Sports
    Cheat Sheet: Examinations

It's not about managing to reach the top. It's about reaching their natural peak and exceeding it with steroids. Look at the bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman and Dorian Yates versus the natural bodybuilders, they're in a different league.
    I'm not advocating steroid use and I would never use it myself. I'm just saying i understand why they would use it. It's what they do for a living.

That's their choice. Just like it's their choice to train X amount of hours a day.

The one universal rule in sports is that performance enhancing drugs are illegal. These are rules. Just like there are rules in society. You can't participate in insider trading, you can't manipulate revenue, and you can't shoot someone with a handgun.

This is what I don't get about you.

You start a topic and people actually respond seriously
    to it, and you come back with some BS like this. What were
    you hoping for with the thread, if not for people to discuss ...
    ... as called for in the topic name itself?

Dude, you're trippin'. Chill out. You could notice that my first response was to your post. I appreciate the dialogue.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

A doc on extreme steroid use called "The Man Whose Arms Exploded"
    featuring Greg Valentino. Dude's arms are bigger than my waist.

He looks like he's got huge apple fritters for arms with fists attached to the end.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts

The one universal rule in sports is that performance enhancing drugs are illegal. These are rules. Just like there are rules in society. You can't participate in insider trading, you can't manipulate revenue, and you can't shoot someone with a handgun.

Performance enhancing drugs have been in use for years, why do people all of a sudden care? Steroids wasn't banned from the Olympics till 1975. Steroids wasn't even illegal in the US till 1990. Not to mention that certain steroids only last in the system for a few weeks. So if a player is doing some cycles of steroids during off season, and they get off them during the season, it won't even be detected in his system.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    Greg Valentino was using synthol. Like this douche

Performance enhancing drugs have been in use for years, why do people all of a sudden care? Steroids wasn't banned from the Olympics till 1975. Steroids wasn't even illegal in the US till 1990. Not to mention that certain steroids only last in the system for a few weeks. So if a player is doing some cycles of steroids during off season, and they get off them during the season, it won't even be detected in his system.

Rules are being made daily, as we delve deeper into the matter. This is true with sports, this is true with society. The reason everyone is talking about it, is because the biggest stars are found to have been using them. Marion Jones was stripped of all 5[/b] Olympic medals. This type of shit is unheard of.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

I'm watching part 3 right now and I feel like I'm about to pass out and / or puke. Seriously feeling light headed...

• Those dudes are a Frickin' joke. Who thinks those fritter arms look cool/good/etc? Frickin' weirdos.

• Those videos are making me sick to my stomach.

3 minutes into the 3rd video..I had to close the page. Fuck.

• everyone talks about how it's fucked to be using roids in sports, yet no one has a Frickin' thing to say about the steroids put in EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF FOOD WE INGEST EVERY SINGLE DAY OF OUR LIVES. If it's fucked to put in your body to run faster, hit the ball longer, etc., it's fucked to put in the chicken/beef/swine I'll eat. And don't get me started on the aluminum they put in most deodorants. Connection to breast cancer in women??? i think so.

For once, let's give a fuck about the kids.

• Options
    This is my argument. Steroids are for people that somehow couldn't manage to reach the top with just their own power, or feel the need to sustain their peak form for an abnormally long duration. I wouldn't know about the expectations and pressure facing the top athletes in the world, but I do know that it takes away from integrity of sports in general. The saddest part of this whole thing is, it's not just sports. This problem extends to every facet of our life. Sometimes, you don't need to be #1 to be a winner.

NOW WE KNOW! And knowing is half the battle...

Set up two identical NFL's, or NBA's, or MLB's, or NHL's, or PGA's, or UFC's, or bowling leagues. Allow members of one league to use any type of drug they would like whenever they want, from coffee to crack. Urine test the other league before each game. Which one do you think would draw a bigger audience?

• DAMN girl is just FINE straight up.

• everyone talks about how it's fucked to be using roids in sports, yet no one has a Frickin' thing to say about the steroids put in EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF FOOD WE INGEST EVERY SINGLE DAY OF OUR LIVES. If it's fucked to put in your body to run faster, hit the ball longer, etc., it's fucked to put in the chicken/beef/swine I'll eat. And don't get me started on the aluminum they put in most deodorants. Connection to breast cancer in women??? i think so.

Agreed. I'm vegan and I use fresh lime juice as a deodorant (don't laugh - it works).

For once, let's give a fuck about the kids.

Make your kids follow an organic vegan diet? Well that's just crazy talk. Sunny D, Burger King and Frosted Flakes are much better for growing children. And once they're grown, Olive Garden and Red Bull will make them healthy adults.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

DAMN girl is just FINE straight up.

Best post in the thread.