BRAZIL!!! (update)

13»

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    In one day two incredible things happened for Casa Africa...

Making my work here more complex and simply more in terms of mandate but about a milion times (if thats even possible seeing how much I love this project) more interesting

The day started off with the France Br??sil meeting featuring one of the ugliest logos in the history of mankind

I had spent the whole day before preparing Ibra's speach on Africa-Brazil-France cooperation and the powerpoint (yes folks even the pros do it)

well it was big ass event

Mayors of Rennes and Nantes were present as well as federally elected officials from Mali and Brazil, our friend Rodrigo had made us the special guest at this round table and we had 30 min to present our acomplishements and future senegal roject as well as bring some afican history in the mix

Ibra killed it

Both elected officials closing statements commented exlusevily on his presentation and we made some valuable contacts along the way....

especially with the city of Nantes...

Mariam another senegalese getting mixed up with CasaAfrica had projects to start up her own Casa Africa in Nantes a city that is known for its decentralized policies...??conomie solidaire support and left leaning political body... and many exchange programs with Senegal

Mariam does incredible work with children in the cit??s and african dance...she is best friends with Tiken Jah Fakoly... and just gleamingly energetic...we had to get the most projects together working out

We invited everyone of the french delegation over to live the Casa Africa experience

And it worked like a charm

The mayor of Nantes is opening up a partnership with us and we are full of other projects with Mariam and France... including a Tiken tour

Me and Ibra are in the office talking over all these developments when he suddenly jumps out his chair screamin WOOO! from the top of his lungs...it was because of an email informing us our festival project had been accepted for the sum of ....

100 000R$...

We had planned the event around comnity activities since we had no money now we can make it something BIG....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I have not given out news in a while because we have been so busy here at casa africa but the FAN is now over and we are getting ready to prepare Fest'Afro Brazil so I thought I'd let you guys know wassup before I go back neck deep into work...

First of all the bar staff has been rejuvenated with my man Tiago holding down the barman position

And a new band Macumba that do percussion lead afro-samba with clarinet to boot

So the Espa??io Thiossane was being set-up to welcome 3 groups of 100 kids per day in the FAN space at Casa do Conde

Excellent work by our resident designer Rubem in a beautifully set-up educational gallery space

The best part about this is that we get to keep these pannels for CasaAfrica afterwards

The artwork Kuta and the others had been working on was finally set up in its rightful lugar

Looking good

Finshing up the final touches

The Casa do Conde space is great and we are lucky to have it as the host for our upcoming festival

I loved this grafitti piece

There were a ton of great events and concerts all week

Tartit from Mali sent out incredible Touareg rythms and chants

The Jant-Bi dance troup killed shit with a very contemporary dance choreography backed up by powerfu traditional percussions

Speaking of percussions outdoor shows slayed this category

Tizumba and Tambolele (featuring the aforementioned Sergio Perere) had the crowd going nuts since they are local legends

They put on a great show

Then we heard a rumble in the back of the crowd

The sacred drums of Burundi were making their entrance

Powerful shit

But the festival also had some casa africa organised event such was the case with BaileBlack a party dedicated to Black Music (funk,soul,jazz,etc)

I designed this flyer and set up a projection detailing the history of black music from the 40s (slave music,blues,gospel) 50s(rock-n-roll) 60s(jazz) 70s(civil rightsmovements,funk,soul) and 80s(hiphop)

The night was an immense success and lasted till 6 am

With DJ Asma holding it down

I learned a lot during this FAN experience and it will come in handy as I am officially the executive producer of the upcoming Fest'Afro-Brazil

More on that in a minute

take care folks....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Fala Galera!

So I haven't been in touch for a while...well that's because me the casa africa crew have been hard at work on Fest'AfroBrasil...

4 years in the making this is the culminating project for Ibra and Casa Africa...our own festival

2 weeks in the making....we've been running like crazy christmas turkeys...

But we did it...

This years Festival (notice how I am talking..we will make this annual) pays hommage to Fela Kuti (10 year anniversary of the death of the musical activist/genius)

and incredible African mind Cheikh Anta Diop

Both these men represent the composition of this festival.

On one hand weve got cinema , mad concerts (our radio spot goes: ''Shows, show e mais SHOWS!'') from all over Africa/Brasil as well as a artesanato fair and restaurant-bar to manage

AND PROMOTE!!

I was mad busy putting together our incredible (graphic desinger Rubem) 24 pages mini-magazine.

and WEBSITE

And we hit the streets hard with only 6 days to promote an event of this magnitude

The launch was today with articles in the paper and film crews

And this is where the second side of our festival comes through and we where lucky enough to have world-renowned sociologist Carlos Moore. The Cuban/Jamaican scholar who now resides in Bahia helped Anta Diop in his research in senegal and nigeria and even at age 75...the man has a serious discourse....very inspiring...

We welcomed him at the airport and spent a long time discussing with our new partner.

Big plans keep on happening in the background of this festival (more on that another time)

Right now i gotta run to the..FESTIVAL!!!!!

It's a reality....

ITS ON!

So many great shows Guin??e's Fanta Konat?? wicked percussion and dance

Capoeira Angola masters in a noite do griot setting

(this is piece is from the Festival's Art Show)

Friday is the big Fela tribute show with me and the grand DJ A.Coisa

Have yourselves a complimentary FELA_MIX while your at it

But Saturday is major!!!!

8 shows including a special reunion show with Perer?? and Tizumba playing MC's to the whole day of festivities (percussion/capoeira rodas all day)

And its done for the year...merry christmas and all that

We are looking for our new home in 2008....

until then

Fica em paz gente

toninho

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Dude

I'm running out of words to say how impressed I am with all the fantastic work you're doing!

Peace

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    OI gente,

After an extended leave I am back in BH and working my last weeks here before i go back to Peru

Right after the festival I left to surprise my girl Valerie in Montevideo. She had been sick as fug for a while so I thought I would be there for christmas time...

Montevideo is a great city to relax in and thats exactly what we did...X-mas was chill but it was all about New Year..or as they call it there R??veillon

This was the delicious scene that awaited us at the gigantic mercado del puerto it was 1 pm and festivities were in full swing...we got so lucky we managed to get a seat at a restaurant and we ordered the local specialty medio-medio...White wine and sparkling wine in one explosive bottle..we had two and were feeling festive

The market was getting crowded and the heat (34 C??) was strong..so what do the party people in the street do....? start spraying everyone in sight with this faux-champagne...

Bottle fights (plastic), people using their appt sink hose to spray the crowd, crazy music; it was the best time ive had for new year in a long time...me and my menina got quite crunked and proceeded to walk on the beautiful coastline La Rambla all the way home for a nap

then we had our own lil BBQ

We spent two weeks working (still clocking for casa africa) and took a some days off to go camping near the sea on our last days...

Those who know me know that I love to camp and my girl held it down as a partner of this rugged woodsman weve come to know and love...

Urugay has cool forests to camp in but its all about the BEACH!!

sick long ass beaches with no one in sight..there is just one after another and you can walk the coastline all day

My time in Urugay was incredible and my relationship just grew stronger being 24h juntos seemed like a test at first but everyday was incredibly serene, enjoyable and simply incredible with mi amocita...

So it was with a smile that I left for the infamous Rio de Janeiro..just in time for Carnivale!

I was there to work out a partnership with AfroReggae an incredibly inspiring NGO that works with culture in the favelas of Rio

EVERYONE needs to see the awe-inspiring documentary Favela Rising that will help you understand this project..but let me just say I was amazed (having my own project in the shatytowns of peru) at the simplicity and efficacity of this project...

I went into the Vigario Geral favela and saw some afro-dance lessons as well as the Afro-Samba band (afro-reggae are now a world famous band) in their favela studio...i was there to get in contact with their radio-program and I just want to thank Eve who made everything possible.

I would talk more about this experience and AR in general but I know what you all want to know is how was Carnivale well I let the pictures speak for themselves

Follow the bloco down the street!

Street party and music in Santa Teresa

and just a lot of happy folk

I ended up going to a Jorge Ben show to end off a great time in Rio

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I have to say thought guys

I was really disapointed in the Jorge Ben show (that last pic was of the awesome opeing band)

I knew he was not getting younger but was not feeling the beginning of the show at all.

first of all a really small band

him (electric guitar)
    guy on keys
    drummer
    his dad on percussion
    flute/sax dude
    bad ass bassist

the percussion really was not popping and all the songs i wantd to hear were lamely remade

i am not joking

he opens up with a medley... tepid fusion jazz version of Homen da gravata florida, cringe inducing reggae version of Zumbi and a "funky" Pais tropical

it just was a letdown but the crowd was eating it up

singing along word for word..so basically all he had to do was close with Taj Mahal get everyone screaming heyheyheyeheyhey.... and call it a day

he did pimp some cuties on stage though dancing with everyone of the 17 pretty young thangs that climbed up on stage...thus extending his finale for 20 min...

also he did stuff from his new album...

but no hate it was an okay show just not what i expected and would not recommend to anyone

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey Toninho

I'm glad you had a nice time in Uruguay and Rio.
    As for the Ben's shows, I gave up seeing him long time ago.
    All his shows have that "A Banda do Ze Pretinho" vibe that I really don't dig.

Peace

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    dude, my wife is uruguayan. We were in Montevideo for New Year's Eve!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dude, my wife is uruguayan. We were in Montevideo for New Year's Eve!

optimo! it really is something

Moogster i feel you that Ze Pretinho was on the drummers kit

kind of a downfall

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This thread gets 500,000,000 stars

So proud of you dude. You're living the life most people could only wish for. Plaese to keep us updated. God Bless.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My last days in Brazil were incredible...and it was weird to leave a place and an NGO that have opened up my horizons in so little time.

On the other hand i was going back to the place that started it all for this young travelling man...PERU...

So in memory of my time in BH here are some pics from the festival we held...

The bar inside and outside

Capoeira

African dance troop

Singner Sergio Perere and Rapper Renegado

Fela Kuti Tribute night even the kids were getting painted

Jumping and dancing on stage Fanta Konate from Guinea

More jumping from the tambolele percussion bloco outdoor performance

Finally me getting ready to rock the party

Well I have now been in Peru working with my aforementioned NGO but in the meantime I took my girl travelling to 2 truly paradise like locations

first off huacachina..simply the illest desert oasis in el mundo

Chillin in my friend's hotel

There was even a monkey!

Repping Afro-Reggae

And a sunset on a perfect weekend (4 hours away from Lima!!!!!!)

But I had never been (in my 4 years in Peru) to the jungle...decided to change that and proceeded to be amazed

Crazy waterfalls!

and a crazy bug!

Well I am off to the Cordillera Blanca mountains befre coming back to welcome my parents visiting my project for he first time for their 25th wedding anniversary (could this year be more perfect!)

• BUMP/WOW
    that oasis...