Ever Eat Kangaroo ??

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Never had the opportunity to try "roo"......can anyone here describe what it tastes like??________________________________________________________________________________ Greenpeace urges kangaroo consumption to fight global warming[/b] Karen CollierOctober 10, 2007 02:35pmMORE kangaroos should be slaughtered and eaten to help save the world from global warming, environmental activists say.The controversial call to cut down on beef and serve more of the national symbol on our dinner plates follows a report on curbing greenhouse gas emissions damaging the planet. Greenpeace energy campaigner Mark Wakeham urged Aussies to substitute some red meat for roo to help reduce land clearing and the release of methane gas."It is one of the lifestyle changes we can make," Mr Wakeham said.Changing our meat consumption habits is a small way to make an impact."The eat roo recommendation is contained in a report, Paths to a Low-Carbon Future, commissioned by Greenpeace and released today.It also coincides with recent calls from climate change experts for people in rich countries to reduce red meat and switch to chicken and fish because land-clearing and burping and farting cattle and sheep were damaging the environment. They said nearly a quarter of the planet's greenhouse gases came from agriculture, which releases the potent heat-trapping gas methane. Roughly three million kangaroos are killed and harvested for meat each year. They are shot with high-powered guns between the eyes at night.Australians eat about a third of the 30 million kilograms of roo meat produced annually. The delicacy is exported to dozens of countries and is most popular in Germany, France and Belgium. The Greenpeace report has renewed calls for Victoria to lift a ban on harvesting roos for food.Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia spokesman John Kelly said roos invading farmers' crops were already being illegally shot."They are being culled and left to rot," Mr Kelly said.Kangaroo meat sold in Victoria is imported from interstate.Australia's kangaroo population has halved to 25 million in the past five years as the drought has taken a toll on breeding and the animals' food sources, Mr Kelly said.Under a quota system, 10 to 12 per cent can be killed for the meat and leather industry. Aerial surveys estimate their numbers.Today's report by leading scientist Dr Mark Diesendorf, from the University of NSW, says greenhouse gas emissions need to be slashed by at least a third by 2020 to avoid a climate change catastrophe.

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

are they still doing that ?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Kind of like veal, crossed with something else I can't think of right now, but more versatile recipe-wise. I try not to make a habit of it though.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I know a lot of people who will support this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thanks Holmes.....doesn't sound too bad......

Can't taste as bad as the animal Pre-Katrina Louisiana was trying to encourage folks to eat.

Even hired a few top N.O. chefs to come up with recipes.

What I tasted of it was close to inedible.

Nutria

Is Kangaroo cheaper than beef??

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i've tried kangaroo jerky...it was weird to me. kind of gamy.

Thanks Holmes.....doesn't sound too bad......

Can't taste as bad as the animal Pre-Katrina Louisiana was trying to encourage folks to eat.

Even hired a few top N.O. chefs to come up with recipes.

What I tasted of it was close to inedible.

Nutria

That looks like an animal that should be eaten, odd, what is it? A cross between a mole & & anteater?
    I've only eaten kangaroo a couple of times, once on a dare & once as a last resort. maybe some of the australians can be more descriptive about the taste/texture? I just about find kangaroos too cute to eat.

Oh and it tastes similar to beef but much more gamey. it can b a lot tougher than other meats if not cooked properly. It is normally complimented with sweet rich sauces: native berries and shit like that

Oh and it tastes similar to beef but much more gamey. it can b a lot tougher than other meats if not cooked properly. It is normally complimented with sweet rich sauces: native berries and shit like that
    Gamey was the word I was looking for before, don't know about the beef thing, one of the times I had it it was definitely tough though.

Gamey was the word I was looking for before, don't know about the beef thing, one of the times I had it it was definitely tough though.

closer to beef than other meats in texture - but not really close. I should clarify.

Nutria.....from South America......brought to South Louisiana and proceeded to destroy their river and canal banks......ugly as hell, mean and have orange teeth.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    What is going on down under???

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/g.day/australia-to-ban-all-plasmas--some-lcds-by-2011-309279.php

Australia to Ban All Plasmas...

Is Kangaroo cheaper than beef??

no, I just know some avid hunters.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I've had Kangaroo Teppanyaki at the Benihana on the Gold Coast in Australia. Shit was really earthy, bloody and tough with a strong taste... EWWWWW... Also had it on a gourmet pizza once, it was gross too....

Why eat Kangaroo when u can eat a chicken?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    chewy

• never had it it but I see them out on the golf courses around town,
    just last weekend I spotted a carcass torn in two right on the edge of the fairway, nice !

and DOR, re:plasma's - they look to be a victim on energy efficiency initiatives

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Cooked right with a good marinade it's great. But it's not like you'd eat it every week. I lived with a chef and he made it once - beautiful. I'm surprised no one's mentioned that we eat one of our national symbols.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/g.day/australia-to-ban-all-plasmas--some-lcds-by-2011-309279.php

That's not happening. People just realised they use a bit more power than they thought, and with climate change shaping up to be a major issue in the soon to be announced federal election, people are jumping to conclusions about shit.

That's not happening. People just realised they use a bit more power than they thought, and with climate change shaping up to be a major issue in the soon to be announced federal election, people are jumping to conclusions about shit.

yeah that is quite an over-reaction. Hopefully there will be some awarness campaigns about the climate change and house saftey consequences of leaving those beasts on standby etc.. but banning them willl not happen.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Benihana

speaking of benihana,

reality show on mtv commin soon!

whhhhatttttt???? please do tell....what goes down???? is this awesome dj involved?

I don't know about Kangaroo - I'd love to try it though. I certainly ride for alligator.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    They have a novel way of killing them (or not as the case may be) down under too

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2199909,00.html

• They have a novel way of killing them (or not as the case may be) down under too

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2199909,00.html

there has been a couple of nasty incidents in the past, i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmGEvRFQcqU

the article is talking about this one though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmD_FshP0Qk

• I ate some for lunch
    I have been eating it a lot in the last few months as our local supermarket has been stocking it at half the price of good quality beef Its about A$9 a kilo

I find it is very similar to beef but a slightly stronger and gamier taste. The steaks are reaaly good on the BBQ after being marinated with soy sauce lemon and garlic.

Very low in fat high in Iron and basically free range organic.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Per 100g

Energy
    Protein
    Fat, total
    - Saturated
    - trans
    - polyunsaturated
    - monounsaturated
    Carbohydrates
    - sugars
    Sodium
    Iron

429KJ
    22.1g
    1.3g
    0.3g
    0.1g
    0.4g
    0.5g
    0.3g
    0.1g
    45mg
    4.4mg

I am waiting for the vegans to hijack this thread

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

what a douche

• Pre-Katrina Louisiana? Rock, my people have been eating nutria all over Acadiana for a long, long time.

I never tried it, though.

• I find this guide useful (sorry for the poor scan)

• Nutria.....from South America......brought to South Louisiana and proceeded to destroy their river and canal banks......ugly as hell, mean and have orange teeth.

If I ever saw that little dude, I would have to say, how does ones tooth get so orange.

Pre-Katrina Louisiana? Rock, my people have been eating nutria all over Acadiana for a long, long time.

I never tried it, though.

I hear ya....it wasn't until about 2001 though when the state, realizing they had a big problem with so many Nutria, started a campaign to promote eating this giant water rat!!

here's a tip......don't ever try it.....worse than squirrel.

• The story I heard is that the McIlhenny family (of Tabasco fame) imported them from South America in the hopes the the burgeoning nutria fur market would take off. It didn't, but the nutria population sure did!

My grandma (rest in peace) used to send me The Daily Iberian cookbook every year. It was published by her hometown newspaper (in New Iberia, which our ancestors helped found) and was comprised entirely of readers' recipes.

In short, if anyone needs a recipe for sweet and sour nutria, holler.