Expensive Jeans - Yay or Nay? - NRR

Comments

• If they fit, go for it.

Think of it this way; you are paying rent to cover your ass for the next year or two.

A bargain at twice the price.

(Most I've spent is $100, btw.)

• $200 jeans seem ridiculous to me, but man, do they feel and look like $200 jeans. Am I insane/stupid to do it?

it depends. if your into the actual denim then yes. if your just into the fit, then no, you can probably find a good fit for far cheaper.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Do you really believe that you are one of the last people who likes clothes that hasn't spent $100+ on jeans?? It's a big world out there, full of sensible clothes lovers and appreciators.

No I really don't...this is the second time in the paast 10min on the Board I was being light and I have been taken literally - what am I doing wrong here?

I sensed the levity, but also sensed the kernal of truth that often accompanies levity.

By any jeans necessary is a good point, though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A,

You should have a talk with H*l*n. She's been jean crazy and is going thru all this at the same time.

She's hit up Ebay and getting $250 jeans for around a bill.

Lets do dinner. You guys can jean talk and I'll eat both ur foodies.

Stay away from my dinner! I've got overpriced jeans to fill out.

I am definitely not used to spending a lot of money on clothes, I am too used to Value Village, vintage stores, etc. prices and I splurge only now and then. And I don't really wear something one year and then never again. Gap is really the only place I can find jeans that fit cause they do a "short" length and everything else has to be hemmed. If I find jeans that fit - it's a big deal.

The nay-sayers are more or less expressing how I feel about it and the yay-sayers are pretty convincing...AK!

edit - yes, shoes are a different story, but take care of them and they will last forever.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Those jeans only work for girls. They do magic for butts. Swear to god. With some heels. SON! Dudes look stupid as fuck in them (both the tight hipster ones and the baggy shits). Trust me. I tried all kinds. I'm all about Levis 501 34/34 all day. Second, no grown men need to be wearing jeans anyfuckinghow...unless they are working in the garden.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo A******, I have to echo the sentiment that (for the most part) asking dudes on Soulstrut about buying expensive jeans seems to be out of place. I mean REALLY... know what I'm saying? No offense to the dudes out there rocking cheap jeans and all, but for real you get what you pay for. Old Navy jeans LOOK like Old Navy Jeans. Expensive jeans probably look a lot more fly, and will probably last a so much longer it will be worth your investment. You get what you pay for, seen?

• Second, no grown men need to be wearing jeans anyfuckinghow...unless they are working in the garden.

• Yo A******, I have to echo the sentiment that (for the most part) asking dudes on Soulstrut about buying expensive jeans seems to be out of place. I mean REALLY... know what I'm saying? No offense to the dudes out there rocking cheap jeans and all, but for real you get what you pay for. Old Navy jeans LOOK like Old Navy Jeans. Expensive jeans probably look a lot more fly, and will probably last a so much longer it will be worth your investment. You get what you pay for, seen?

fancy pants do indeed look like fancy pants. i think the fabric prolly holds the dyes better or something. but they last just as long as old navy joints. they might seem to last longer but thats prolly cuz men that wear expensive jeans arent doing anything but walking in them shits. if u lived out on the farm, theyre the same thing and $200 dont mean shit.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    $200 jeans seem ridiculous to me, but man, do they feel and look like $200 jeans. Am I insane/stupid to do it?

Girl was the same way. Finally, she broke down and got some, fell absolutely in love with them, then got hit by a car while wearing them (she's fine). But the jeans are ripped to shit...

STREET JUSTICE

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haha, oh shit!

• Levi's are a timeless thing. Any dude that wears jeans that cost more than a pair of Levi's are wasting their money because they could have just got levi's and looked good.

For women... do whatever you want.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    If you see something you like and have the money to afford it, go for it. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Good jeans do have a lot of work/materials in them that raise the cost a fair bit. A friend of mine makes them and has walked me through the whole thing. Of course there are still crazy markups involved and some brands don't live up to their claims, but that's life.

If you think the quality is there go for it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    if you don't have to eat like crap for a week to do so, then buy it.

people seem to forget levi's also sells $300 jeans in their lvc line.

uniqlo relaunched their selvage line using kaihara denim recently but I think it's only mens for now? They're pretty nice, the asian market ones at least.

• people seem to forget levi's also sells $ 500[/b] jeans in their lvc line.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.
    Yup.

Do it bassie! show these bitches how ta stunt.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Anybody in here that thinks a $300 record is an acceptable luxery item, but that $300 for jeans is absurd really needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle.....and probably their wardrobe.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Anybody in here that thinks a $300 record is an acceptable luxery item, but that $300 for jeans is absurd really needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle.....and probably their wardrobe.

Haha

• Jeans are jeans once you break them in. On the other hand, if we were talking about shoes or a coat...

• Anybody in here that thinks a $300 record is an acceptable luxery item, but that $300 for jeans is absurd really needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle.....and probably their wardrobe.

I resemble that remark. How about this though: a $300 record you can probably resell for about the same or possibly more if you get crunched for cash. Same probably can't be said about a pair of used jeans (with some exceptions I'm sure)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Yo A******, I have to echo the sentiment that (for the most part) asking dudes on Soulstrut about buying expensive jeans seems to be out of place. I mean REALLY... know what I'm saying? No offense to the dudes out there rocking cheap jeans and all, but for real you get what you pay for. Old Navy jeans LOOK like Old Navy Jeans. Expensive jeans probably look a lot more fly, and will probably last a so much longer it will be worth your investment. You get what you pay for, seen?

AMEN!

• well, its all about the cut, especially with ladies jeans and thats at least part of what you're paying for - that may be obvious, but I don't think I saw it mentioned above and as Cosmo says, you get what you pay for

the thing I have about jeans is that they're blue, and everyone wears them, and I mean everyone
    where theres one pair theres always another 50 pairs
    blue trousers - hello!?!
    we must look like idiots to aliens

• Anybody in here that thinks a $300 record is an acceptable luxery item, but that $300 for jeans is absurd really needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle.....and probably their wardrobe.

I resemble that remark. How about this though: a $300 record you can probably resell for about the same or possibly more if you get crunched for cash. Same probably can't be said about a pair of used jeans (with some exceptions I'm sure)

Some things money can't buy. Not walking around in old navy jeans is.... priceless.

For all you cheapos, just go to nordstrom rack or hit stores on sales. A decent pair of jeans will be within your reach.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I've never spent more than $30 on jeans and I ALWAYS look fly.

It's HOW you rock it not how much it cost.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.

Sage. The old man has spoken.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Buy any jeans necessary.

Sage. The old man has spoken.
    It's a Kanye line.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    $225 really ain't that bad.......pair I'm wearing right now cost $300 or so.....and they're the only pair that I wear. Had em for about a year now - love em. They're Strongholds - a company that existed in the late 1800s that, when a pair of 100 year old jeans was pulled out of a rag house about two years ago by one of the new owners - was relaunched (by the puller). They're modeled exactly how they were back in the day. The thing that made me spend the money, beside the feel of and structure, was that they'll alter em for you free of charge for life - and mail em back to you. I've had em altered twice thus far, to shorten em and bring in the waist a little. Still love em. Can't front on a good pair of jeans.

Bottom line - if you don't have jeans, and you honestly think you'll wear the shit out of em - then it's totally worth it.

• snosno 332 Posts
    uniqlo relaunched their selvage line using kaihara denim recently but I think it's only mens for now? They're pretty nice, the asian market ones at least.
    Is it the "Premium denim" line? Right now the Uniqlo shops here are doing a sale (about US$25), it's not a bad deal at all (the cutting and fabric is almost identical to a pair of Neighborhood denim which goes for US$300 to US$500). But what bugs me is that all they are so wrinkled. Should premium raw denim as flat and straight as a piece of paper?

• Taking fashion cues from soulstrut is just asking for a world pain and EMBARASSMENT. Jeans that look good on you can be hard to find, once you find 'em, get 'em. Whether it's *snicker*Old Navy (GOOD LUCK/YOU SOUMD MARRIED ) or some shit only Aser knows about (I WAITED IN LINE FOR THESE PANTZ, BRO!).

It's basically like records, you can find some great clothes for dirt cheap but eventually you're going to have to break-bread, it's the game. You can't always be rocking the Winelight-level jeans, yoaming?

I'm wearing a lacoste shirt I got from the thrift with a hundred dollar Polo Scarf. I don't give a fuck, I probally dress flyer than most of you dudes on y'all best day

SHA-SHAY SHONTAY with a finger snap and a hipswish.

Get on my level of comely-ness.