PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC APPRECIATION

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I've been on a bit of a Funkadelic kick lately, most recently having gotten my face melted by "Good Thoughts Bad Thoughts" from Standing on the Verge... and I got to thinking:The collective output of these 2 outfits spanned an entire decade, probably over 20 LPs, and they're all, even the weakest ones, at least decent (ok so I'm not sure if I've ever actually listened to Trombipulation). This achievement alone warrants their definite presence on a short list of candidates for Greatest Group of All-Time. And this is not to mention their business acumen, live show, and all the spinoff projects.I've seen some cats on this site hating on shit like "Flashlight" but I gotta think that stems from a too-cool-for-commons attitude or frat-boy associations of the more popular P-Funk songs, as opposed to an honest evaluation of musical content. I'd be willing to venture that if you don't like this shit, then you don't like funk, on some Sir Nose shit.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think the reason Funkadelic and George Clinton get a lot of flak from record collectors is that they have been paraded by know-nothing music critics and media sources as the innovators and inventors of funk, which is really an insult to all their predecessors and contemporaries. George has also made an absolute fool of himself over the past few decades, involving himself with countless projects that have ended up sounding terrible.

That said Funkadelic is amazing, definately one of the greatest groups of all time. Especially on One Nation Under a Groove, the sound Clinton created was way different from any of the other disco/boogie/funk coming out at the time. I still think their first three albums are clearly their best - pre LSD-burnout and internal group issues. Such a raw sound. I remember hearing a story somewhere about how Eddie Hazel didn't even know that he was being recorded when he cut the long guitar solo for Maggot Brain.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I think the reason Funkadelic and George Clinton get a lot of flak record collectors

Man, I've never heard anyone diss Parliament/funkadelic. Unfadeable.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think the reason Funkadelic and George Clinton get a lot of flak record collectors

Really? I hear it from time to time from people who are real into the Northern Soul sound or more J.B. style funk.

And damn, what is up with me forgetting words in my own sentences. NAGL.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Really? I hear it from time to time from people who are real into the Northern Soul sound or more J.B. style funk.

I've definitely heard people diss the later Parliamentfunkadelic as not being "Funk."

• I think the reason Funkadelic and George Clinton get a lot of flak record collectors

I've definitely heard people diss the later Parliamentfunkadelic as not being "Funk."

Cue indignant Ricky Vincent.....YOOOWWWWWW!!![/b]

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I've seen some cats on this site hating on shit like "Flashlight"
    I have never seen this happen. I don't believe it has happened.

I'll even stand up for Trombipulation. It's easy to say it doesn't hold a candle to their best work, but compare it to any other band's work and it is still on another wavelength entirely. It's hardly the derivative drivel I associate with other bands' worst albums.

• its not funk.....its P- FUNK

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all. Who DOESN'T know about 'em? But, as with the umpteen Curtis Mayfield threads we've had, I'm not afraid to show love, they deserve it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all. Who DOESN'T know about 'em? But, as with the umpteen Curtis Mayfield threads we've had, I'm not afraid to show love, they deserve it.

Word. Although it seems like people here are pretty down on things like slap bass and goofy Bootsy style vocals sometimes. Just because Ricky Vincent like it doesn't make it bad...

Word. Although it seems like people here are pretty down on things like slap bass and goofy Bootsy style vocals sometimes. Just because Ricky Vincent like it doesn't make it bad...

I like it coming from P-Funk, just not anyone else...

Seriously, even though I prefer their rockish Westbound-era sides, the later stuff they're known for ("Flashlight," "One Nation Under A Groove"), isn't bad.

• P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all.

yeah, I guess I just feel like they get taken for granted sometimes, and unnecessarily hatted on because most of their records are common. But what better group was there in the 70s?

P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all.

yeah, I guess I just feel like they get taken for granted sometimes, and unnecessarily hatted on because most of their records are common.

understandable - some of these folks get so deep in the obscure dusties they think it gives em the right to dump on the hitmakers, but P-Funk deserves some shine anyway.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Unfadeable.

• HERE'S OUR CHANCE TO DANCE OUR WAY/OUT OF OUR CONSTRICTIONS

All-time legends. Westbound-era Funkadelic is like the best shit ever.

• Parliament/Funkadelic = (especially for their time)

Remember when P-Funk albums used to sell for crazy amounts? When I first discovered them in the early-90s all the record stores priced their albums at $30+. That was before I really started digging. Now I find their albums everywhere.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Greatest dudes ever.

One of the instances that I can say "I CELEBRATE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG."

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I would give my left nut and both arms to be able to go back in time and be in the audience at their Say Brother appearance...or any one of their late 60s shows I guess. If they were with The Stooges I'd throw my right nut in.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I would give my left nut and both arms to be able to go back in time and be in the audience at their Say Brother appearance...or any one of their late 60s shows I guess. If they were with The Stooges I'd throw my right nut in.

I wish that Say Brother video was still up on youtube

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I have it on DVD, so it's all good.

• Greatest dudes ever.

One of the instances that I can say "I CELEBRATE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG BUT ESPECIALLY THE FIRST THREE FUNKADELIC LPS[/b]."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have it on DVD, so it's all good.

YO BRO.

Yo.....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've acquired:

Get up for the down stroke
    mothership connection
    funky telechy
    hardcore jollies

all of which i fully enjoy. Need more P-Funk in my life.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Need more P-Funk in my life.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Probably my favorite P-Funk tune. They were just light years ahead of everybody at that point. I love how no one person is singing on that lip-sync performance. They're just letting their freak flags fly.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    whoa..
    i was just listening to maggot brain. i read on a blog that clinton told hazel to play the solo like his mother had died that day.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Unfadeable.

Overton is my dude. Here's a painting he did for me in '03.

Probably the first and
    only thing I would grab if my place caught on fire.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all.

yeah, I guess I just feel like they get taken for granted sometimes, and unnecessarily hatted on because most of their records are common. But what better group was there in the 70s?

Earth, Wind & Fire - lamed out after 1975
    P-Funk - still soundin' good right up to now!!!!

As Redd Foxx once said, "I ain't lied yet!"

• P-Funk is so obvious that I'm surprised they need an appreciation thread at all.

As Redd Foxx once said, "I ain't lied yet!"
    i kind of disagree with you about post-75 EWF

EWF is probably the only other possible contender for the crown, but at best it's a draw- can't say they're better

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts