fav funkadelic album?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    do you guys file your parliament and funkadelic seperately and if not do you put em under p or f? i've got them together under f.

i file them separately - i know what i'm looking for when i want it. funny 'bout that; many people don't. when i used to work in a record store, people used to look through the funkadelic records and wonder why none of them included "flash light." or check out the george clinton albums and conclude we didn't have "one nation under a groove." so we decided to file em all under P-Funk, since none of the customers could remember who recorded what.

my fave funkadelic albums? it would have to be the first three tied for first place - Funkadelic , Free Your Mind..., and Maggot Brain .

one thing i will mention - i approve of funkadelic in general, but the westbound elpees are all superior to the later warner bros. and LAX albums. the westbounds were really unpredictable, whereas the other recordings are all kinda samey. (although some people say that Hardcore Jollies , which ill admit i havent heard, continues in the old westbound tradition, and that they didnt go the quasi-disco route until the next album, One Nation Under A Groove - opinions?)

Maggot Brain photo: Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket), Bernie Worrell (scrawny guy on the left), Tiki Fullwood (shorter guy in "The Harder They Come" style hat, Bill Nelson (the other taller guy).

So who's the bald-headed guy about to throw a brick?

Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket)

thanx - the baldhead/brick combo is how i know him, 'cause its so distinctive. not exactly a benign image. i remember that quicker than the shades/tassled jacket

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Maggot Brain photo: Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket), Bernie Worrell (scrawny guy on the left), Tiki Fullwood (shorter guy in "The Harder They Come" style hat, Bill Nelson (the other taller guy).

Pre-freakout.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

thanx - the baldhead/brick combo is how i know him, 'cause its so distinctive. not exactly a benign image. i remember that quicker than the shades/tassled jacket

Yeah I'm goin off memory, cause I don't have the album in front of me. I also agree w/ the Westbound statement you made. Their S/T LP is the first record that really blew my mind. It's my personal favorite LP of all time. Hardcore Jollies is put in a 2nd transitional period (1st being America Eats it's Young where they went from a psychedelic black rock band to a more focused, for lack of a better word, sound). The best part about it is the live version of Cosmic Slop. Other than that, it's more for the die-hard fans. I really like it, but it's more in the WB vein than Westbound: namely because of the polished guitar playing; they were doing more dual/trio harmony type things.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    but the westbound elpees are all superior to the later warner bros. and LAX albums. the westbounds were really unpredictable, whereas the other recordings are all kinda samey.

truth.

how is I>Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic/I>? I'm looking at their discography and i realized that it's the only westbound lp i don't know/own. the motherpage calls it a release in "the second transitional phase", like i'm supposed to know what that means.

Pre-freakout.

He actually came out w/ a solo CD in 95 actually. It's pretty true to the original Funkadelic sound. It still sounds like he might be a little over the hill (he hadn't recorded in 25 years) but it's an interesting effort. You can definately tell he's still crazy as a loon too.

but the westbound elpees are all superior to the later warner bros. and LAX albums. the westbounds were really unpredictable, whereas the other recordings are all kinda samey.

truth.

how is I>Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic/I>? I'm looking at their discography and i realized that it's the only westbound lp i don't know/own. the motherpage calls it a release in "the second transitional phase", like i'm supposed to know what that means.

TOKF is really good. This was their last Westbound elpee before bolting for WB. It's got that "professional" sound of the later albums, but I still prefer it to the WB records. On Kidd Funkadelic
    they were still produced like a ROCK band. As opposed to One Nation, which was produced and mixed like a conventional disco/funk record, which totally misses the whole point. Although Kidd Funkadelic wasn't as sloppy as Maggot Brain, it still had an EDGE to it.

I also agree w/ the Westbound statement you made. Their S/T LP is the first record that really blew my mind. It's my personal favorite LP of all time. I'd put Hardcore Jollies in a 2nd transitional period (1st being America Eats it's Young where they went from a psychedelic black rock band to a more focused, for lack of a better word, sound). The best part about it is the live version of Cosmic Slop. Other than that, it's more for the die-hard fans. I really like it, but it's more in the WB vein than Westbound: namely because of the polished guitar playing; they were doing more dual/trio harmony type things.

Have you (or anybody) ever heard the two compilations*** that Westbound put out in the 70's? Neither album goes in chronological order, so it's kinda jarring hearing a psychedelic track from Free Your Mind back-to-back with a later "polished" selection with female vocals. That's how much they changed between '69 and '75.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    ***Funkadelic's Greatest Hits, with the black sheep on the cover, and The Best Of The Early Years, with the pseudo-Pedro Bell sleeve art
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Pre-freakout.

He actually came out w/ a solo CD in 95 actually. It's pretty true to the original Funkadelic sound. It still sounds like he might be a little over the hill (he hadn't recorded in 25 years) but it's an interesting effort. You can definately tell he's still crazy as a loon too.

That's amazing. Indie release? I would love to hear it.

On an unrelated note, one of my aspirations in this record collecting game is to be a P-Funk completionist. Like seriously I want to have a copy of everything. Is that too much too ask for/too daunting of a task? I don't think so.

Also, I fucks with the Warner Brothers shit in a major way. It might not be mindmelters like the early stuff, but that shit is Belmont Plateau BBQ music at like 8:45 PM dusk type steez... "The party has already begun" type shit for real if I ever heard it.

GOAT IMO.

I also agree w/ the Westbound statement you made. Their S/T LP is the first record that really blew my mind. It's my personal favorite LP of all time. I'd put Hardcore Jollies in a 2nd transitional period (1st being America Eats it's Young where they went from a psychedelic black rock band to a more focused, for lack of a better word, sound). The best part about it is the live version of Cosmic Slop. Other than that, it's more for the die-hard fans. I really like it, but it's more in the WB vein than Westbound: namely because of the polished guitar playing; they were doing more dual/trio harmony type things.

Have you (or anybody) ever heard the two compilations*** that Westbound put out in the 70's? Neither album goes in chronological order, so it's kinda jarring hearing a psychedelic track from Free Your Mind back-to-back with a later "polished" selection with female vocals. That's how much they changed between '69 and '75.
    ***Funkadelic's Greatest Hits, with the black sheep on the cover, and The Best Of The Early Years, with the pseudo-Pedro Bell sleeve art

Sure haven't. I know the one's you're talking about though. I'm pretty much assuming since there was no new material that was Westbound's last attempt to get some money out of them, kinda like what they did w/ the Ohio Players

Pre-freakout.

That's amazing. Indie release? I would love to hear it.

On an unrelated note, one of my aspirations in this record collecting game is to be a P-Funk completionist. Like seriously I want to have a copy of everything. Is that too much too ask for/too daunting of a task? I don't think so.

Also, I fucks with the Warner Brothers shit in a major way. It might not be mindmelters like the early stuff, but that shit is Belmont Plateau BBQ music at like 8:45 PM dusk type steez... "The party has already begun" type shit for real if I ever heard it.

GOAT IMO.

Definately an indie release. I think he or his son put it out. I ordered it after it was annotated in an extensive Guitar Player magazine article on Pfunk and it has since been lost/stolen/eaten/vaporized.

As for the whole discography thing I've been working on it a while. If you're just going for OG lps it's attainable. I, myself, have it a little more bad than that and it's a daunting task.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    oops, he posted while I was writing.

My favorite album that hasn't been mentioned is a Live CD I got in 96 that must not be in print anymore. It was recorded in 1971 in Michigan and it's nuts:

14 min version of Maggot Brain w/ the entire band...

Stooges-style rave up instrumental of Alice in My Fantasies...

15 min version of "All your Goodies are Gone" that sounds like a mutant psychedelic gospel sermon from 9 schizophrenics....

Anybody else have this. Absolutely sick.

mp3 plaese?

Dustygroove still has copies of this :

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

As for the whole discography thing I've been working on it a while. If you're just going for OG lps it's attainable. I, myself, have it a little more bad than that and it's a daunting task.

Yeah, all OG is what I'm looking for. I've got pretty much all the LPs from ST. Only a few aren't OG, such as my copy of "America Eats It's Young" and I need a copy of "Trombipulation" but yeah, there you go. It's the singles that fuck me up, especially the early joints on Revilot. I only got one of those (but it's a monster, "Good Old Music" OG version.)

Then there's all the live records and shit... damn

Good, you should definately order it. Check the little shorty on the bottom right of the cover.

Yeah, all OG is what I'm looking for. I've got pretty much all the LPs from ST. Only a few aren't OG, such as my copy of "America Eats It's Young" and I need a copy of "Trombipulation" but yeah, there you go. It's the singles that fuck me up, especially the early joints on Revilot. I only got one of those (but it's a monster, "Good Old Music" OG version.)

Then there's all the live records and shit... damn

Right. Then you could go into side projects, solo projects, studio work, pre Pfunk output. It's endless.

On another note: my old lady has an album that's supposedly recorded live at a black barbershop in Detroit. It's basically some Wild Man Steve/Redd Foxx type stuff from aroun 68 I'd say. But there's a band jamming ever so softly in the background and it's an instrumental to "What is Soul" with some sick lead guitar work. I've always wondered if that was an early incarnation or what was going on there. I can't remeber the album, but I'll find it when I get home and post it. Is anybody familiar w/ this based on the description?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Then you could go into side projects, solo projects, studio work, pre Pfunk output. It's endless.

I just saw this today:

Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns "Final Blow". Released in '94, contains unreleased material. Havent't heard it. Is it worth getting?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I know it's a losing battle, but I try to get all the important solo joints (got the Eddie, the Fuzzy solo, the Bernie jawn - is there more than 1 from the 70s? I have on tape his album from the early 90s)

I want to start to get into some of the early Parliament shit like the Clinton songwriting credits of the 60s, and any rare sides that might exist on 45.

And who said "America Eats It's Young" is unfocused? Shit is mad focused.

my old lady has an album that's supposedly recorded live at a black barbershop in Detroit. It's basically some Wild Man Steve/Redd Foxx type stuff from aroun 68 I'd say. But there's a band jamming ever so softly in the background and it's an instrumental to "What is Soul" with some sick lead guitar work. I've always wondered if that was an early incarnation or what was going on there. I can't remeber the album, but I'll find it when I get home and post it. Is anybody familiar w/ this based on the description?

Sounds like you're describing I Heard It At The Barbershop by Al Sparks, the Funky Barber on LaVal Records. I think it's from '71. (In 1968, I don't believe Funkadelic's "What Is Soul" was out yet...) I don't have the Sparks album, but I've heard it at a friend's house; funny shit, it was. But I don't recall the background music.

I would assume it's just some unrelated band vamping on the Funkadelic song - they did have some kind of minor fame during the Westbound years, and it's not too farfetched to imagine a band back then covering one of their songs (ESPECIALLY one from Detroit).

Sure haven't. I know the one's you're talking about though. I'm pretty much assuming since there was no new material that was Westbound's last attempt to get some money out of them, kinda like what they did w/ the Ohio Players

The one with the sheep was actually released when they were still with the label. The other one was after they left. I remember in the 80's, seemed like those were the only early Funkadelic albums that ever turned up.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'm with Czeck & Cos - I'll take COSMIC SLOP for days, period. Such a deep album in so many ways, but yet possessed with an insane sense of humor. Read the lyrics sometime - there's none heavier. Stone cold classic.

I'm with Czeck & Cos - I'll take COSMIC SLOP for days, period. Such a deep album in so many ways, but yet possessed with an insane sense of humor. Read the lyrics sometime

Anybody have an idea what "No Compute" is actually supposed to be about?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm with Czeck & Cos - I'll take COSMIC SLOP for days, period. Such a deep album in so many ways, but yet possessed with an insane sense of humor. Read the lyrics sometime

You serious?

You serious?

According to Greg Tate, it's supposed to be about some guy who goes on a date with a transvestite, although the song is so vague I wouldn't be surprised if there were other interpretations.

Yeah I know it's a losing battle, but I try to get all the important solo joints (got the Eddie, the Fuzzy solo, the Bernie jawn - is there more than 1 from the 70s? I have on tape his album from the early 90s)

I want to start to get into some of the early Parliament shit like the Clinton songwriting credits of the 60s, and any rare sides that might exist on 45.

And who said "America Eats It's Young" is unfocused? Shit is mad focused.

Check for Madhouse "Serve Em" from 1972. It's got Mudbone Cooper (the PFunk singer that sounds like he came straight from the glee club) and Joel "Razor Sharp" Johnson (keyboardist mainly w/ the Rubber Band) before they joined PFunk. It's on the same label, Today, as that Black Ivory LP. It's pretty much psychedelic soul w/ a hard rock twist. The cover's got a charicture of Nixon.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

You serious?

According to Greg Tate, it's supposed to be about some guy who goes on a date with a transvestite, although the song is so vague I wouldn't be surprised if there were other interpretations.

Oral sex, dude, at least that's what I always got from it. I guess there's maybe some vague innuendo that might point to that theory.

[i]Ah, I awakened from a wet dream in which I was restless
    My imagination could no longer take me there
    So I slid into my copping haberdashery
    And gave into the original jones: sex.

Now, my sexy jones was below sea level
    The hornies occupied my being
    I was at that stage where most men would say,
    "Hey ho', it's your life or your lay."
    But I was cooler than that.
    She said, "No compute."

I spotted a lady who was also on the prowl
    I could tell by her makeup, plus the scent was there
    So I sashayed over to her, and, ah, spoke of my plan
    She screamed and said, "Are you asking to make love to me?"
    I said, "Is pig what's in pork?
    Or you gonna play hard
    After all the trouble you went through to get chosen?"
    She said, ah, "No compute."

Finally, she said, ah, "I could, ah, probably go for what you're talking about.
    But it's really about my birth control pill."
    I said, "All looks are not alike, all holes are not a crack.
    When in doubt, vamp.
    Or at least ad-lib.
    And of course you know that spit don't make babies."
    She smiled, and said, "No compute."
    But I could tell that she was getting interested.

So off we went!
    There was fun to be had, love to be made.
    "Strange", I said to myself after I laid,
    Smoking a last joint before I to sleep
    "What a man will go for when the hornies, ah, set in."
    Well, suddenly as she laid there, mouth wide open, wig half off, snoring
    Breath smelling like a 1948 Buick
    I was sick with the filthies, and she smiled in her sleep
    As if to say, "All looks are not alike, all holes are not a crack."

my old lady has an album that's supposedly recorded live at a black barbershop in Detroit. It's basically some Wild Man Steve/Redd Foxx type stuff from aroun 68 I'd say. But there's a band jamming ever so softly in the background and it's an instrumental to "What is Soul" with some sick lead guitar work. I've always wondered if that was an early incarnation or what was going on there. I can't remeber the album, but I'll find it when I get home and post it. Is anybody familiar w/ this based on the description?

Sounds like you're describing I Heard It At The Barbershop by Al Sparks, the Funky Barber on LaVal Records. I think it's from '71. (In 1968, I don't believe Funkadelic's "What Is Soul" was out yet...) I don't have the Sparks album, but I've heard it at a friend's house; funny shit, it was. But I don't recall the background music.

I would assume it's just some unrelated band vamping on the Funkadelic song - they did have some kind of minor fame during the Westbound years, and it's not too farfetched to imagine a band back then covering one of their songs (ESPECIALLY one from Detroit).

Thanks, that's the album. If it's from 71 then you're probably absolutely right w/ the cover band. I was just wondering if it was earlier than the S/T release(before 1970) which would be the source of my confusion.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Anybody have an idea what "Nappy Dugout"[/b] is actually supposed to be about?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

FUNKADELIC

Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic (Westbound 76)

Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic was the group???s last record for Westbound. Like the forthcoming changes in labels, the band itself was changing. Longtime guitarist Eddie Hazel had left the group over disputes with Clinton. The sound by this time was similar to Parliament, yet there were still strong Rock influences. Butt-To-Buttresuscitation is a perfect example with Bernie Worrell???s keyboard effects dominating the first half, while the second has a searing guitar solo. Let???s Take It To The People shows that Funkadelic could still deliver some Funk. There are also the Clintonesque slow jams such as Take Your Dad Ass Home! and Undisco Kidd. After this hopeful start however, the second side falls off with three uninteresting tracks, including the thirteen minute long title cut.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=F&page=10

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=F&page=11

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't have a favorite cuz I haven't heard all of their albums. But I do have Hardcore Jollies and I think it's dope:

btw, does anyone know who did the artwork?