SPORTS TALK RADIO - YAY OR NAY?

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Being a truck driver by profession, the radio is very importantto my daily experience. Being a full-blown sports junkie, I findsports radio to be irresistable ... yet, I also find it often to beunlistenable. Here in Boston we have the highest-rated sportsradio station in the USA, WEEI AM. The early-afternoon show isthe only one I can take, as it features two relatively mellow hostsdiscussing sports in a somewhat calm manner. The drive-time show,"The Big Show," can be so incredibly annoying, as the 3 or 4 hostswill spend hours hollering at each other, all talking at the same time,and seeming more concerned with bad and usually tasteless jokesthan actual sports analysis. The main problem with all the shows,though, is how one subject every day, often the latest scandal insteadof an actual sports story, will be ALL that is discussed for hours.I mean, anyone who can sit through 8 hours of Patriots "Spygate" orwhether Manny is REALLY injured has to be some kind of super-human.Anyway, in the end, I say YAY but with the wish that it were different,not so often a disappointment in approach and execution.Rep your local sports talk radio experience, and let us know - yay or nay?

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Gambo and Ash - 620AM ESPN radio in Phoenix in the afternoons. Love their show and actually call in sometimes. Good chemistry on the airwaves and have lots of fans out here. I dig Rome nationally though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    actually call in sometimes.

I've called in a couple of times, but it is very frustrating - they
    tend to just let you say one thing and then jump off from there,
    never letting you back in the conversation. I called about the Bruins,
    and dude was like "let's compare it to the Patriots, and how they blah
    blah blah ... " and it somehow became a Patriots discussion ...

There is a thing called the "whiner line" where listeners call into
    a voice mail during the day and leave comedy routines, and they
    play the "best" of them at the end of the day ... back when I was
    really hooked, I called it a few times, and always had my calls used,
    usually to big laughs from the hosts, which was gratifying.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Can't hang with the local shows. Being in Texas, there's just tons of em and they tend to be garbage.

I do however tune into the Jungle somewhat regularly but I have to agree with above, I can't listen too long our my ears start to melt.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Being a truck driver by profession

Seriously?

I always assumed from the amount of time you're on SoulStrut that you spent the day trapped behind a desk.

When are you "driving" these alleged "trucks," Mr. Ice?

Are you posting from a handheld?

• YAY with caveats.

WEEI has become so annoying. The morning and evening shows are just atrocious. Mikey Adams at night ain't horrible, but can get awful.

I've made the switch to 890 ESPN radio. Yes, Mike & Mike have a 7th grade sense of humor, but yuo at least get a national view on Sports, as opposed to the most provinicial view in the US- that of the local Boston market. And, Felger in the afternoon is just better than the Big Show. Though, I still love the Whiner line.

I'll never forget a few years back...It was January, 2002, the day after the AFC/NFC championship games. Raiders vs. Bucs, and I'm listening to WEEI:

"Well, the Super Bowl is set. Buuuuuuuuuuut, its just 10 days until pitchers and catchers report. Let's talk Red Sox spring training!"

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sports Radio gets the ultimate . Most of these dudes seem like average macho sports fans with a big budget and press pass. The dudes who call in are mostly idiots as well. I'm good with ESPN the television and print media.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Being a truck driver by profession

Seriously?

I always assumed from the amount of time you're on SoulStrut that you spent the day trapped behind a desk.

When are you "driving" these alleged "trucks," Mr. Ice?

Are you posting from a handheld?

haha, if you look, I tend to post in the evenings and
    rarely during the day. I am able to hit up computers
    at my various stops (I'm officially a manager for my
    company, so I have access at any of our locations)
    and check the board, and will drop a daytime post here or there.
    Otherwise, I have Mondays or Wednesdays off, depending
    on my radio show schedule, so you'll see me loitering
    about on those days, too.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I listen to ESPN radio online at various points throughout the day. Usually beginning with whatever Mike & Mike are talking about, a little bit of Max Kellerman (more so when the Knicks are in session) and then I tune into Stephen A. during his new 2-4 p.m. spot, which I like better because I can hear his full show. His previous 12-2 slot was right in the middle of my lunch. Dan Patrick in the afternoons will be missed.

Stephen A. during his new 2-4 p.m. spot

Podcast?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Stephen A. during his new 2-4 p.m. spot

Podcast?

Never that. You only get part of any given show and it always seems to end before they get to what I'm trying to hear.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player

After the player opens, you can switch between the national ESPN Radio broadcast and several other cities (tabs). For instance, Mike Tirico is on nationally from 1-3 and switches over for S.A.'s second hour at 3, but the full S.A. runs from 2-4 on the New York broadcast. It's just Mike Missanelli today, so I tuned in to hear what Tirico has on tap.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    theres a KC show from 11-2 that i really like, a huge nay to most of the rest

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    We have a station here in Dallas that is the best Sports/Talk I've heard. It's called The Ticket and it's about 1/2 Sports and 1/2 Music/Entertainment/Comedy.

Give it a listen on-line between 3:00 and 7:00 CST at 1310 The Ticket.

There is a lot of "inside" and local jokes but overall it makes my drive home each night a pleasure.

• I listen to probably too much sports radio.

Local dudes Bucky and Erin on 1300 the Zone. Pretty funny stuff most of the time. They don't take themselves too seriously but also come with good takes.

I listen to Rome and have since 1999. I listen in doses but sometimes that shit is side-splittingly hilarious. Mostly the callers and emailers.

Local mid-day cats are a total snooze. Afternoon dudes are too obnoxious but I'll listen sometimes just to get riled up.

The best are some of the national shows you can catch if you're driving late night on a Saturday or Sunday in the Fall. Good football talk.

During football season, I probably hear as much sports radio as I do music/records.

• I listen to Rome and have since 1999. I listen in doses but sometimes that shit is side-splittingly hilarious. Mostly the callers and emailers.

Rome is an acquired taste, and one I most definitely have.

Love that dude. His TV persona sucks, but his twisted little radio universe is some seriously funny radio.

I listen to probably too much sports radio.

I suspect you do. While consuming cheesey poofs, no doubt.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i hate Mike and the Mad Dog on Sports Radio 66 (THE FAN!!!) WFAN NEW YORK!!!!!!

but........

hearing that shit non-stop when i was little with my father in the car made these 2 annoying pieces of shit almost necessary as i grew up.

Really?

Probably shouldn'ta typed that one dude.

But perhaps you could take time out from your paint-by-numbers comedy to illuminate the kid as to why that particular food post was any dumber than the 4000 other ones.

"The cheesy poof industry rakes in $4 billion a year and it's all coming from me."

Really?

But perhaps you could take time out from your paint-by-numbers comedy to illuminate the kid as to why that particular food post was any dumber than the 4000 other ones.

"The cheesy poof industry rakes in $4 billion a year and it's all coming from me."

What are you getting so worked up about, dude?

It would appear that cheesey poofs are an even more sensitive subject for you than German creampuffs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Local dudes Bucky and Erin on 1300 the Zone. Pretty funny stuff most of the time. They don't take themselves too seriously but also come with good takes.

The morning dudes are typically great.

The new afternoon dudes typically suck.

Really?

It would appear that cheesey poofs are an even more sensitive subject for you than German creampuffs.

Worked up? Really? You're gonna give yourself that much credit? It just seemed a little flagrant is all. I even threw you a bone w/ some REAL comedy at the end there.

I just thought it was a bit of a stretch. We're talking sports radio here.

• Local dudes Bucky and Erin on 1300 the Zone. Pretty funny stuff most of the time. They don't take themselves too seriously but also come with good takes.

The morning dudes are typically great.

The new afternoon dudes typically suck.

If you've ever heard "Louisiana Brian" on 1300, that's me.

I called in the Blitz this morning.

Really?

Okay, THAT was your best joke in 52 weeks.

GENE AND FAUX, YALL ARE CRACKING ME UP OVER HERE!

I think Gene and Faux should have their own Sports Talk Show.

Gene can talk sports and Faux can insult the callers with one liners.

Radio Gold

Radio Gold

Except I don't like sports.

Radio Gold

I would have to agree. It's a toss up between Texas Rap and fashion.

• I think Gene and Faux should have their own Sports Talk Show.

Radio Gold

They pretty much already have this show: Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio.

Radio Gold

Why would you need to like sports....you're just gonna insult people.

Caller: Hi Gene & Faux I can't believe I got through...long time listener, first time caller.

Faux: First time caller!!! GTFOOHWT Little Dude BS. ~~Click/Dial Tone ~~ Next Caller!

Gene: Up next we have Bill from Round Rock. What's up Bill?

Caller: Gene I'm your biggest fan!! I even had a Gene & Faux T-Shirt made and I wore it to the big game last night.

Faux: What color is the shirt?

Caller: Well it's a white shirt with.......

Faux: WHITE!!!! Don't you know fashion law....GTFOOHWT white in the Fall BS... NEXT CALLER!!

• I think Gene and Faux should have their own Sports Talk Show.

Radio Gold

Caller: Hi Gene & Faux I can't believe I got through...long time listener, first time caller.

Faux: First time caller!!! GTFOOHWT Little Dude BS. ~~Click/Dial Tone ~~ Next Caller!

Caller: Gene I'm your biggest fan!! I even had a Gene & Faux T-Shirt made and I wore it to the big game last night.

Faux: WHITE!!!! Don't you know fashion law....GTFOOHWT white in the Fall BS... NEXT CALLER!!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

No, they don't have that one.

I'd accept a salary of about 1/2 of what I make now if this could be my job.

Radio Gold

A winning formula...