Radiohead In Rainbows

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone get their damn site to work today? Shit is mad busy and I can't get on it. How's the album?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I can't find the link on their site, shit is mad confusing.

• i preordered it yesterday. no problems here.

Still need to give it a good listen though

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    i dont feel bad uploading it since it was available for free.

http://www.divshare.com/download/2291146-8c2

• by the way - what's the deal with 160kbps MP3 quality?! Why not the standard 192?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I can't find the link on their site, shit is mad confusing.
    it's not on radiohead.com, the link that was there expired b/c they are trying to stem some of the traffic. It's slow right now, but try www.inrainbows.com which works.
    I too, preordered. I doubt I'll get much done today at work. I just keep zoning out listening to this.

• the digital files are a weak 160kb.
    if i had paid $ i would be a bit upset.
    i listened to half the album and liked it so far.

by the way - what's the deal with 160kbps MP3 quality?! Why not the standard 192?
    they stated that they know it will be shared mostly compressed any way. They are saving a bit of bandwidth w/ a smaller file, and when the actual CD drops, they are betting that certain people out there will pay for quality.

• anyone got the fila brasilia remix of climbing up walls?

• shit - i didn't even notice that until after I had paid. i wound up paying them $5 shoulda paid like $1.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I wearily followed the www.inrainbows.com webpage hoping it was honestly associated with radiohead and not a phishing site. I paid them a little over $4 for it. Everything went fine and I'm listening now. I love the "first spin" on radiohead albums.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    everyones complaining about the bitrate being 160.
    if the files sounded exactly the same, but were 192 or higher,
    people wouldnt be saying anyting. i think its just a piece of mind thing.

• everyones complaining about the bitrate being 160.
    if the files sounded exactly the same, but were 192 or higher,
    people wouldnt be saying anyting. i think its just a piece of mind thing.

I'm listening over my shit computer work speakers, if it sounds fine on my system at home, then all good. But there's usually a noticeable difference in my ears between the 2

Again, not that big a deal. I should actually read everything before I make the impulse purchase . I would have paid something regardless.

Anyway - I'm really looking forward to letting this album soak in. Any strutter thoughts yet?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I wrote about it in the other Radiohead thread last night.

Well.. I gotta give it up to the band for there promptness. Fresh out of the email, a nifty little download link. I'm sure by now it's all over sendspace and Megaupload. The album itself unfortunately aint too much to write home about. If you liked the last one you'll like this one. If you didn't like it, don't bother. I liked the QOTSA-ish Bodysnatchers, I'm also feeling the Jigsaw track. Would I go back and pay for this, probably not. But, I'd imagine alot of people would.

- spidey

Having listened to it 3 more times since then. It's a solid LP, I just think there last effort was superior. For them to do something so ambitious with the sale of this album, and rely on the true fans to buy it. Well good luck to them, because casually listening to it, this one doesn't really stand out against bends/okcomputer/kid a/hail to the thief. The first track sounds like it was a b-side to thoms eraser album. Bodysnatchers and Jigsaw are still pretty decent. Reckoner is pretty cool sounding, but I liked the demo version better. It's a very tame radiohead though, It'll be interesting to listen to all the Side 2 material.

- spidey

• Jigsaw is pretty dope IMO. I really didn't like Hail to the Theif at first, but it grew on me. I guess I'll make up my mind on it next week or so.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    im waiting for the bonus cd.
    10 more tracks to like/dislike.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Okay, I've now got a copy and listened to it.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I wonder how much they make off that 40 quid package

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i can't wait until that site actually works and I can get this piece.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

anyone got the fila brasilia remix of climbing up walls?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I wonder how much they make off that 40 quid package

A lot. They own the masters, they control the packaging and shipping budgets, there's no marketing costs, and they're producing them to order; if 100,000 people want one, that's how many they make, and if they get a million orders, they're laughing.

• really like this for me personally song for song one of my fave radiohead albums. i don't think it really works brilliantly as an album though, it feels much more like a collection of songs. top stuff for me though. i gave the fellas ??1 cuz i'm nice like that.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i'd love to see the look on the faces of those Radiohead fans who think they should record another Pablo Honey when that IDM programmed drum intro comes in on the first track.

It's a good listen anyway, there seems to be a certain sense of fun that was noticably lacking on the last one. glad to see 'Nude'/'Big Ideas' recorded at last which unfortunately might be the only truly great song on the album.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Anyone thinking of buying the vinyl discobox?
    Am I a madman for considering doing this?

i bought it. i gave up trying to hide the fact that if this band released branded toilet paper, i would probably buy it. i'm geeked on radiohead.

they hide the heroin in the liner notes.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I am riding so HARD for this album right now. Started listneing yesterday, and I'm probably ten or twelve passes in. For me, Kid A was the only album of theirs that I could dig start to finish. In Rainbows is ridiculous though. The engineering is key. This album has an amazing sound. It gives an excellent sense of space. No ridiculous beats or instrumentation as far as I'm concerned, but the back end really makes this album priceless.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I'm thinking about putting my mp3 copy on ebay.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Anyone thinking of buying the vinyl discobox?
    Am I a madman for considering doing this?

Done and done, waiting patiently for December 3rd.