Central Coast Cali Strut - Need Your Help

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
It's the girlfriends birthday this weekend and she took four days off. I want to take her to Big Sur or someplace cool to enjoy nature and take mushrooms. You know, relationship stuff.If anybody has any recommendations I'm all ears. It's a shot in the dark for me. It doesn't have to be all bed and breakfast style, but a private cabin would be cool. I'm not trippin', A motel would be OK if it was near a nice place to hike and have fun. What's the word? Big Sur? San Luis Obispo? Santa Barbara? South of Santa Cruz and North of Sunset is a mystery to me.

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    dude, make reservations! My lady and I tried to be spontanious and take a weekend trip up north. We drove about 8 hours up the coast (An amazing ride if you haven't tried it). When it got a bit late, we tried to get a room at a hotel. Booked solid. Tried another with no love. Started to worry, so I called my folks and had them try to use the internet to look for any possible vacancies. We also called for about an hour with no love. Not one place had a room from Big Sur all the way to Santa Cruz. We found out later there were two festivals going on, and it was peak season for travel to that area. Had to drive ALL the way home...got home around 4 a.m.

• bro...nothing better than pitching a tent

• bro...nothing better than pitching a tent

Yeah, no doubt, but my girl isn't the camp out type.

I'm thinking about saying fuckit and head to the city (SF). Get a private room in a hostel or splurge on the holliday inn express in Berkeley. One room has a whirlpool.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    If you're not a campout style, you might want to get a reservation in carmel, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a motel room. It's a lot closer than SF, and reasonably close to Big Sur etc. There's some really good restaurants there, and Point Lobos is easily one of my top 5 places in california.

• What's up T? Check ventana in Big Sur,
    drive along the coast and have a picnic (you can pick up good wines and cheeses and stuff in Carmel Village) and make sure to check Point Lobos and Pfeiffer State Park ...nice hike up the river through some beautiful woods.

-e.

• Thanks, that sounds real nice but it's supposed to rain so we're gonna hit up SF on SAT SUN & MON. Hopefully somethings jumping off.

I'll have to check out Carmel sometime, though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    about carmel, in my experience, has been more expensive than monterey which is more expensive than seaside (all which are 10min away from one another on the highway).

santa cruz has some great campsites that are near the water (walking distance) and very cheap.

have fun in sf while youre here.

• carmel and big sur are so beautiful.

Bixby bridge:

While I was stationed in monterey I had a scooter. On a whim one day I rode the scooter all the way to Bixby bridge in big sur. Probably not legal. when I hit the bridge I saw a little dirt path that went off the the left. It looked ridable enough so I decided to ride my scooter up it. That trail goes on forever through the mountains and shit. I had to walk the scooter sometimes. I don't remember how I made it back out to the highway, but I know I didn't turn around.

I listened to a tito puente tape on repeat the whole time.

I just google bixby bridge trail and apparently its pretty popular, although probably not for scooter riders. Here's a big pic:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My moms ran the Deetjen's Big Sur Inn while I was growing up. That place is pretty damn cool, and they have good breakfast even if you don't stay there. I ate breakfast with Robert Redford there when I was a wee one. It has crazy history.

• Maybe I'll hit it up in the spring. Sounds real nice.

Anything going on in the city sat or sun? I saw something on the announcement boards but that's on frday.

I want to go out, have a few drinks, smoke a few blunts, and listen to some good music with the dancing. Word.