Maestro.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this? I just bought it off of Amazon on a recommendation from this old school chick who came up in this era. I should get it in a day or three.

Comments

• i watched it just last week actually, borrowed it off a friend.

It is really interesting, although the way it is shot and the poor quality of the footage can get a tad annoying. The extras disc is

• AdelfiAdelfi 92 Posts
    This is a tough one.

I love the fact that somoeone finally made a film about the Paradise Garage, the Loft and the roots of NYC underground dance culture. At the same time, I really wish it hadn't been Josell Ramos.

There are aspects of the film that are great, like the last ever (horribly shot/lighted) interviews with Francis Grasso and Steve D'Aquisto before their deaths in 2005. These interviews are truly historical but the way in which they were shot seriously detracts from their importance. It's sad.

I personally feel that the film focuses too heavily on Larry Levan while failing to even mention Walter Gibbons or Arthur Russell. Ron Hardy receives a tiny mention (you have to watch the bonus disc to get more info on the Chicago scene) and Tom Moulton is interviewed for about 30 seconds.

The film fails more than it succeeds in objectively and evenly describing the broad history it so desperately wants to expose.

Bottom line, I'm glad it exists. It's a nice intro piece for anyone interested in American dance culture history.

However, this is much better:

Tim Lawrence is brilliant! Check out this article he wrote about Walter Gibbons. Dude was

walter f'ing gibbons

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I agree with the above post.

On a related note, has that WEST END records doco been made yet?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah the movie left ALOT to be desirted

Love saves the day RULED though very stoked for pt 2 and his bio on arthur russel as well.