Organic Raw Kombucha / Synergies

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone else down with these drinks? My favorite is the "multi-green" because not only do you get Kombucha, but its also packed with spirulina, blue/green algae, and chlorrella. Feels like a little more bang for my 4-large :5pager:

Comments

• kombu is the nastiest shit known to japanese man. besides natto.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Kombucha is grown and sexy.

• i think u mean gross and trendy

• two different things, no?
    kombu is a seaweed
    kamucha is a weird jellfish like thing that ferments tea.

• kombucha is a nasty ass tea type thing they make from the seaweed. so its like a piping hot cup of ocean water and its nasty. it has health benefits but that says nothing about its flavor.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've tried every flavor but OG. Guava is my shit, but all are great (even grape).

Too effing expensive to drink on a regular basis, despite the label's push for consumption "at least once a day." Heh. I wait for the 2/$5 sales at Whole Foods.

• two different things, no?
    kombu is a seaweed
    kamucha is a weird jellfish like thing that ferments tea.

kombu = seaweed
    cha = tea

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    kombucha is a nasty ass tea type thing they make from the seaweed. so its like a piping hot cup of ocean water and its nasty. it has health benefits but that says nothing about its flavor.

The flavor is sufficiently masked by the taste of this brand (G.T. Dave's). This is also as alcoholic as I get.

The beverage names are incredibly hippy-dippy, but so are the lyrics in Music For Beginners (meaning: and it still works for me). So screw all naysayers. Is this really a trendy thing? I've been drinking this for 2 years.

• i think you are mistaken

my ol girl gave me one of these weird things in a jar:

you put sugar sweetened caffeinated tea on the jellyfish "Culture" and it turns it into the tea yall are overpaying for. layers can easily be peeled off the "culture" to make more jars with weird floaty things. ol girls got like 5 jars going. weird.

heres the wikipedia write up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

the seaweed aint got nothing to do with it

• i am not mistaken if u read the whole thing.

The word kombucha, while sounding Japanese to foreign ears, is a misnomer when applied to this beverage. In fact, Kombucha (昆布茶) in Japanese refers to a tea-like infusion (cha) (actually, more of a thin soup) made from kelp (kombu), usually served to patients in convalescence. The Japanese refer to 'kombucha' as kōcha-kinoko (紅茶キノコ), which literally means black tea mushroom.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Yeah, my girl is into this. The health benefits sort of make sense - if active-culture yoghurt and sourdough are good for you, why not active-culture tea? Having it in the kitchen was always a little disgusting, although it doesn't smell as bad as one would think.

Supposedly the commercial bottled brands are because pasteurization and oxidation kill off all the good stuff. You're left with overpriced vinegar.

The kombucha jar got ditched when we moved out to the islands. Instead we have the even nastier Hawaiian version, the noni jar:

Trust me when I say the smell is

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Kombucha is nasty i tried to drink that shit but it tastes like vinegar with some extra flavors thrown in... weaks as fuck. healthy or not its completely un-enjoyable.

• Kombucha is nasty i tried to drink that shit but it tastes like vinegar with some extra flavors thrown in... weaks as fuck. healthy or not its completely un-enjoyable.

My sentiments exactly. Once but never again!

• i got into the flavor. its vinegary and slightly effervescent with a touch of sweetness. although i wouldnt go s o far as to call it the elixir of life (like my ol girl would)

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    kombucha will make you feel Frickin' awesome

i work at whole foods in the dairy and we sell more of this shit than milk and eggs

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I think this board can be seperated into two camps. The ones who relate to this thread, and the ones who relate to the one about fast food breakfast. And thats cool, Soulstrut's got a big tent... like the Republican party of the internet or something.

• i think you are mistaken

you put sugar sweetened caffeinated tea on the jellyfish "Culture" and it turns it into the tea yall are overpaying for. layers can easily be peeled off the "culture" to make more jars with weird floaty things. ol girls got like 5 jars going. weird.

heres the wikipedia write up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

the seaweed aint got nothing to do with it

I had one of these growing in my kitchen when I was a kid. We called it mushroom tea. It was the neighborhood thing of the moment but come to think of it only the Asian kids had it. Anyway, I need to find someone like your girl in my neighborhood to get the mushroom tea trading on!!!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    kombu is the nastiest shit known to japanese man. besides natto.

I hate kombu but like natto!