producer/musician-strut: SOBER OR STONED?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
What do you prefer when making music? A little booze? some ganja? Hard drugs? I prefer smoking some herb and working. It allows me to concentrate more and keeps me focused on the music. I get bored fast, so herb keep me interested. I dont need anything and make better music imo when im sober, but its more fun with a little reefer.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sobriety.

I loved the weed and drink but it never made me feel like I was making anything quality. Sure enough whenever I sobered up I felt disappointed that I wasted my time even trying to make something when I didn't have something quality to show

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    SOBER.

I've done a few buzzed/drunk beats and thought they were dope. Woke up the next morning and couldn't believe how trash they were.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    SOBER.

• {quote}SOBER.

I've done a few buzzed/drunk beats and thought they were dope. Woke up the next morning and couldn't believe how trash they were.{/quote}

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    For playing guitar in the studio I always found that 1 or 2 beers (no more) were beneficial, I relax a little bit and my playing isn't as stiff as when I'm stone-cold sober. Anymore than that and the slop factor gets a little too high.

Playing live is a whole different thing, for shows I always like being a little (or a lot) out of my head, it helps me really let go and perform. Better sloppy and energetic than perfect and boring.

• sober, im cutting way back on my weed consumption (from easy 4 grams a day to 10 grams a month approx) and at first i thought i couldnt beatjuggle/makebeats as well but after i got over the first few frustrating days w/o it i now have more focus. weed makes me feel like im really making some hot ish but when i come back it sounds not so hot... weed gives me more drive to go downstairs and fuck w/ my decks/mpc but not as much focus to actually do something worthwhile. if i had been asked this two or three weeks ago before i cut back on herb i wouldve said mos-def that weed helps me, but now that the haze has cleared i feel sober is way better.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    making beats on crack is where its at.

but seriously, i get mad inspired when i smoke some bud, but making shit drunk is not cool to be. mad sloppy retahded.

• writing and arranging....always more fun and "different" ideas when stoned/drunk/tripping...actual recording:reefer, but no drink..mixing...SOBER, never ever mix while stoned or drunk...frequencies sound SO different when high, plus if you are high you will think bass is the always greatest thing in the world and the next day all ya gots is mud.

• i can only listen to music on weed.

i prefer grain whiskey for when i play music.

but i also like to play music sober. either way. but karaoke, always gotta have whiskey flavor.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    SOBER.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    SOBER.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    {quote}SOBER.

I've done a few buzzed/drunk beats and thought they were dope. Woke up the next morning and couldn't believe how trash they were.{/quote}

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    i rarely smoke and the last time i did was the first time since i started making beats. so i was at home and baked and i was all amped up to make a beat like i would be channeling the spirit of madlib for a night. the next morning i realized that i just spent the whole night listening to a random ass shitty record and i didnt even turn the sampler on

• I smoke pretty much constantly. It's how I was raised.

I need to drink a lot of coffee to be real productive on weed, especially boring edits and the mundane part of beat making.

Often I'll be stoned out of my gourd at 4am, making a beat. When I hear it the next day I bug because for one, I don't remember the beat, and two, don't remember where the samples came from.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    sober.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    sober for mad years
    recently i been smokin a lil bit with my boys after a beat is made to see if it will get the weedhead seal of approval

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    SOBER.

If I'm not sober while I'm working, it slows me down considerably. That's not to say being lifted doesn't contribute to initial ideas or after-the-fact QA, but when I'm actually putting it together, I need to be clear-headed.

• toasted. nicely toasted.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Sober and in the right mood. Sometimes I'll go run a mile just to clear my head and get some energy out, and then sit down and get working. Everything sounds way too good stoned, and timing is sloppy when drunk.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Usually, I'm sober when I make joints; however, I will sip on some drank when I'm bangin' out tracks sometimes (check "Vinyls and Cognac"). At best, I'll have a slight buzz after sippin' since I don't get "drunk" anymore (too old for that shit).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I love playing drums when I'm high. I feel way looser and more focused on the music and what others are playing. I haven't drank alcohol in almost 8 years. I know that if I got drunk it would be messy.

• Often I'll be stoned out of my gourd at 4am, making a beat. When I hear it the next day I bug because for one, I don't remember the beat, and two, don't remember where the samples came from.

I prefer being sober, but that ^^^ has happened to me a couple of times as well... including the best chop I ever did

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i usually like to smoke while im in the studio.. a lil drink too.. my one bands practice sessions are completely sober..the other toasted.

but im not the type who gets wasted..i've never blacked out on ANYTHING in my entire life...

• channeling the spirit of madlib

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    channeling the spirit of madlib

i think i just made myself sound wild european