night owl show pics and finds

erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
yowanted to share the night owl with everyone who missed itor at least my experienceshow up earlymore then just diggin for wax brainchilds old sp12 grimethe heat merchantshowshow 2beat steve and old dudesthe whips parkedlucky shirtfindsmore findsfind of the daymy mpc smiles on this night owl showword upglad i met some of the struttersanother dope show full of ill waxpeace

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Had a great time at the show. Got there late, caked up early and then got to hang with the Soul Strut family. Missing in action was team Seattle. What's up with that. JJFad, lots of pre-game chatter but little follow through. Your on notice, dude.

Got to start with the Don himself, Laserwolf (on the right). Laserwolf got carded at the after party and could not get in. I kid you not.

Twoply and JustAlice riffle through Dr Wu's dollar bin.

Twoply asks himself, "How do you say organ jam in Cambodian?"

RubbishVisual scours the disco stock at JustAlice's table

Rev Shinez, from Lifesavas, and Fremont Slim hit Craig Green's bin. Craig Green no longer sells records. He hires his son to watch the table while he holds court in the Eagles lounge. So Gangsta.

DJ Day drops the needle after working the Adidas in-store scene earlier in the day.

Laserwolf messes with Dr Wu's unfadeable selection of CTI/KUDU madness. I got all three volumes of 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl'. Deal with it, son.

Kit and Steve keeping it incredibly real.

Team Soul Strut, Voiderali?, Laserwolf, DrWu, RubbishVisual, Day and JustAlice. For god's sake Wu, tuck in your shirt and do some sit-ups. You look a mess

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

day has the infamous "hey look at this guy!" hip-hop pose going on. fresh outta palm springs batches!

i dont think you even moved... its like youre a cut-out or something.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

day has the infamous "hey look at this guy!" hip-hop pose going on. fresh outta palm springs batches!

i dont think you even moved... its like youre a cut-out or something.

The Day pose has been sported in many a pic, pointing to himself ad infinitum smacks of a perfect Dollar Bin scenario!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's amazing how early, or late, some of you all are uploading pics and posting to soulstrut. I think I was first to bed and last one up. Give me a week or two and I'll upload my pics.

Don

• highlights-

- disco dracula 12" b/w play at your own risk 12"
    - day knowledging me on john klemmer breaks
    - meeting dr wu
    - trying to convince laserWolf that there's a dirty bill cosby record
    - lending alice's portable turntable to the doo-wop fellas about 30 times (not sure if they ended up buying anything)
    - interupting rubbishVisual's "record flow"
    - repeatedly running to the dj booth to call out what gangster rapper sampled that break

• this thing looks awesome!!! i wish these happened round my way...

• no sleep dan
    with a new sp12 and enough fresh wax to start a fire
    no sleep
    coffee and a record player from now until skool monday

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's amazing how early, or late, some of you all are uploading pics and posting to soulstrut. I think I was first to bed and last one up. Give me a week or two and I'll upload my pics.

Don

It's called kids Dan. There is no sleep at my house.

• i dont think you even moved... its like youre a cut-out or something.

You didn't know you can rent a cardboard Day??

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BTW, I justed wanted to give a little cyber dap to some strutters who I got to meet for the first time JustAlice, Voiderali and Day. As much as I enjoy your company online it was twice as nice in person. Keep the faith. Hope to see you soon.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    HA - you got me. It's funny too because right after that picture I was thinking "don't pose dude, just stand there and be normal". Old habits, yadda.
    There's another one taken by Dan's friend that needs to be posted up.

Anyway, it was good hanging out and meeting everybody. Thanks to Dr. Wu for the good records and conversation, and Tony from Seattle bringing the

HA - you got me. It's funny too because right after that picture I was thinking "don't pose dude, just stand there and be normal". Old habits, yadda.
    There's another one taken by Dan's friend that needs to be posted up.

Anyway, it was good hanging out and meeting everybody. Thanks to Dr. Wu for the good records and conversation, and Tony from Seattle bringing the

Yeah, Tony from Seattle, don't look any further. I tried to get him in the picture but he has sworn off the internets forever. Old timers will remember him as GrandGroove.

Sorry I couldn't get in to the Chesterfield. I didn't want to pull any "do you know who I am?" sht on the door girl who was young enough to be my granddaughter. I found Rev Shines and told him to give people my regrets. So I missed my own after party.

Please note that Dr Wu could also be a cardboard cut out in those 2 pics. Next time Asprin can't make it I think we should do a cut out of him to have in pics.

• yo
    TONY IS FROM SPOKANE not seattle
    and yall need to check his store out
    unified groove merchant
    it is the place to find wax in the northwest
    peace

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Missing in action was team Seattle. What's up with that.

I was the lone Seattle strutter with a table and I was hella hung over and wasn't Mr. Social,
    my bad. My daughter really missed her daddy, so I didn't make the afterparty either.
    Great show, made more than enough to make it worth my while. Although the crowd seemed a
    little lighter than in April. Thank the lord for the other dealers, they bought most of my big ticket
    records.
    Next time I promise to make my presence known and introduce myself to every last one of you.
    I'm in the very beginning stages of trying to organize a Night Owl North show.
    I'll keep the soulstrut massive abreast of the developments.
    Who on the board would come up to Seattle to sell at a show like the NORS?
    Speak on it folks!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I was the lone Seattle strutter with a table and I was hella hung over and wasn't Mr. Social,
    my bad. My daughter really missed her daddy, so I didn't make the afterparty either.
    Great show, made more than enough to make it worth my while. Although the crowd seemed a
    little lighter than in April. Thank the lord for the other dealers, they bought most of my big ticket
    records.
    Next time I promise to make my presence known and introduce myself to every last one of you.
    Speak on it folks!

Jesus H Christ. I blame the Don for not introducing us proper. I make it a habit not to buy records there. So I of course didn't figure out you were there on my own.

Sorry but there will be no NORS emerald city style for me.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Adidas in-store earlier in the day while Manny looks for some "fits"

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Adidas in-store earlier in the day while Manny looks for some "fits"

Saw Manny roll through the NORS real quick and didn't get a chance to say what up.
    Known him since the mid-nineties in PDX.
    His combo of niceness, humor and turntable skills in unfadeable!
    Could use a little Grecian Formula though....

records.
    Speak on it folks!

D'oh, don't know how you got missed when we were lining up for the photo. Sorry.

The crowd seemed lighter to me than in April too. April seemed like the biggest crowd we ever had. The door till tells a different story. We put just about the same # of people through the door every show. If they all come through the door right at 5, the place looks crowded. If they come in over the course of the night it seems thin. Our door keeper was a little slower than some others so that spreads them out. I'm sure everyone coming in heard about his new appointment and at least one joke.

I will see you at NORS North.

• Here's another clip featuring one of Day's many admirers that afternoon.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    BTW, I justed wanted to give a little cyber dap to some strutters who I got to meet for the first time JustAlice, Voiderali and Day. As much as I enjoy your company online it was twice as nice in person. Keep the faith. Hope to see you soon.

Such a Pleasure! I had so much Fun this time around. I was in a 100 times better frame of mind than last time that is for sure. It was good times. Great meeting you Dr. Wu and seeing everyone in the real life is always a treat, even in this little town its still kinda raer seeing everyone in one place.

I didnt take too many pics, but here are a few none the less......

Dealer Pre Sale action:

Open to the Public:

Day fits right in with the PDX Blue Jeans Required Dress Code:

I hope everyone had a good time and crossed some things off their want lists. We got a couple cool things as Void mentioned above. There was a gospel lp that we picked up, I think dan took a pic, and Void found later that Dorothy Ashby was on it. I think I had discussed DA with a few people that day so it was weird that I unknowingly brought something home. Its pretty freakin' funky for a gospel joint though. GospelDiscofunkbreaks

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Dude, we have the same disease... I can't have a picture taken of me without pointing at someone or something. I just can't help it... don't know why

• dayday 9,612 Posts

The Day pose has been sported in many a pic

Surprise

Mr. Jeigh and I @ The Goodfoot Friday night (and yes, I'm rocking that shirt with no shame.)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Surprise

Mr. Jeigh and I @ The Goodfoot Friday night (and yes, I'm rocking that shirt with no shame.)

It's a good pose. It's like "I'm awesome, but this dude right here? He's the f'ing MAN!"

• john klemmer breaks

• Where's the rest of Manny's "pro-style" pics?

Surprise

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    one more courtesy of Jeigh

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    one more courtesy of Jeigh

Jammin' on the one (and twos).

The next Night Owl Record Show coming up this Saturday.
    Saturday April 17th
    5pm-9pm
    4904 SE Hawthorne Portland OR
    Admission $2.00
    (Early Bird admission 3pm $15.00)

www.nightowlrecordshow.com
    http://nightowlrecordshow.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24699686@N08/

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

What is this record? That looks like my dad circa 1976.