Get Your Ass In The Kitchen!!!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Does your significant other cook? My lady friends dont get down in the kitchen. Its not really a big deal cause I cook but damn, If i come over I gotta eat before cause she cant serve a meal. WTF. And dont try to pass off some fuckin quick pasta as a meal either. With the whole foodie revolution goin down i dont understand why , male and female neglect this part of the game. And dont fuckin tell me your too busy cause I know you saw Sopranos or some other T.V. show.Unless your on some Donald Trump schedule im not tryin to hear that shit. 30+ year olds ordering out everynight is some real bullshit IMO.

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Does your significant other cook? My lady friends dont get down in the kitchen. Its not really a big deal cause I cook but damn, If i come over I gotta eat before cause she cant serve a meal. WTF. And dont try to pass off some fuckin quick pasta as a meal either.
    With the whole foodie revolution goin down i dont understand why , male and female neglect this part of the game. And dont fuckin tell me your too busy cause I know you saw Sopranos or some other T.V. show.
    Unless your on some Donald Trump schedule im not tryin to hear that shit. 30+ year olds ordering out everynight is some real bullshit IMO.

T**i gets down that's why my ass got so fat after marriage. It would help for me to get off my ass and exercise. But I digress, bein' fine ain't enough for grown folks. Contribute some shit to the crib besides your pretty smile, libido, machismo bullshit, etc. A pretty face or nice abs don't mean shit when the bills ain't paid. Some young men and women don't understand (neither did my ex-fiancee), lust can become disgust real quick when the "significant other" is bullshittin'. Real talk.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• My girl cooks up a storm and for the most part it is all from scratch, Im real lucky...except when she goes out of town, all I am left with in the house is shit tons of ingredients, and I cant cook very much at all, so that is one small downside. But it does allow us to eat very very well without spending much at all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know more dudes that cook than women who cook. What are u gonna do if u have kids? If u cant afford a maid well u better step your game up. Dudes too. My Father & Mother got down.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I know more dudes that cook than women who cook. What are u gonna do if u have kids? If u cant afford a maid well u better step your game up. Dudes too. My Father & Mother got down.

Shiiiiit Batmon, I gets down in the kitchen. Mom dukes wouldn't send me out in the world without skills (she needs to lay some on pops no-cookin' ass). I remember back when we were kids that bland ass chicken he baked when mom was in the hospital after surgery. My brother and I couldn't wait until she got well. Oh yeah, my brother has no culinary skill either.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 30+ year olds ordering out everynight is some real bullshit IMO.

Either my wife or I cook every night, it's not that difficult. This one chick I work with said, "If it takes more than 30 seconds to make, it's not worth it."

I don't get down with microwave dinners either - too much sodium in those things.

I gets down in the kitchen. Mom dukes wouldn't send me out in the world without skills (she needs to lay some on pops no-cookin' ass).

Exactly.

My pops cooks better than my moms. I never took a Home Economics course in High School. I wonder if that is still part of some programs across the country.

I don't get down with microwave dinners either - too much sodium in those things.

I dont even own a microwave. i would just to heat stuff up, but still w/ the move towards better info about Food the whole Insta-Food culture is so last century.

30+ year olds ordering out everynight is some real bullshit IMO.

I never eat that shit. I don't fuck with fast food either, hence the low cholesterol score and great heart health (don't let the bulk fool you). I got a belly but I'm healthy as a muthafucka. Hence, I gotta drop these pounds before they catch up with me, especially since I licked the smoking habit (one bad habit down, one to go). Good diet goes a long way.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Good diet goes a long way.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Yeah my girl can't really cook. She was surprised to find out I could get down in the kitchen. I learned by watching my mother. Hell, my girl can't cook because her mother never cooked.

• My wife can't cook either man. It is not funny. You know that simpsons episode where homer is trying to make mr. burns breakfast and he puts milk on cereal and it bursts into flames? It's like that... she is from the midwest but something skipped a generation. It is cool, and I love cooking, but she doesn't see from ingredients to cooked meals. It's like she expects to open the fridge and have an entire roast turkey pop out on her lap. She keeps promising to step her cooking up, but we will see. Last time I went to the store I picked up some anna's pasta and told her where it was and how to use it, so I don't have to deal with half a dozen takeout orders a week adding up $.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey B-mon, just curious. How old are you my dude?

My current girl, cooks up some nice stuff. Feeds me proper. But ofcourse, old-timers such as my mom, is a health freak, and she`s spent pretty much every waking hour of her children`s lives, cooking up the best food. So whenever I go out to eat, I rarely find anything that`s mind-blowingly good.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

My current girl, cooks up some nice stuff. Feeds me proper.

No doubt. She made me a wonderful hot meal the other night.

add on

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I seriously get down in the kitchen. sourdough-breaded pork chops on a bed of arugula and lemon, lentils with sausage, stuffed tomatoes, pan fried, blackened branzino, avacado-arugula-feta-chicken salad with oil/lemon dressing and a dash of mustard, and the best damn steak in los angeles.

I learned from my mom. I would get home from school to home-made foccacia and prosciuotto, or to a bowl of amazing pasta. The Osso Bucco was the real Game Over though.

Tip for amazing steak : go for a filet mignon or new york cut if you can. dont skimp. DO NOT MARINATE IT. Cover it on all sides with large salt. I'd reccomend Maldon. Throw it on a hot pan, with no oil or anything. Let it cook on one side for several minutes, flip it, and let it get a little time on the other side (less time than on first side.) Remove when its roughly medium-rare. This will be the juiciest, tastiest steak you have ever had. There is NO WAY this will be chewey or dry.

For extra points, do it tuscan style - tagliata.

Slice it into strips and put it on a bed of arugula with oil and some good quality parmigiano.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

Tip for amazing steak : go for a filet mignon or new york cut if you can. dont skimp. DO NOT MARINATE IT. Cover it on all sides with large salt.

True.

But i would recommend marinating tougher(less expensive) parts of the animal.

• My lady cooks, and I clean. That's the deal. I get home too late from the shop to throw together anything at a reasonable hour so she handles it. She started out shaky when we first met but nowadays she throws down. I don't know what I'd do without her, other than eat pizza and tacos and shit every night.

And yeah Stacks, I definitely feel you... "That's fried chicken, curry chicken, damn I'm getting FAT... arroz con pollo, french fries and crepes, an appetite for destruction but I scrapes the plate."

Capital D-shaped

• Options
    Tip for amazing steak : go for a filet mignon or new york cut if you can

I go for porterhouses, this way in one cut you get a ribeye and a filet.

• Regardless of anything else, my ex definitely could cook up a storm. She made vegan dinners from scratch at least 3-4 times a week - and often new recipes at that.

But when I got separated, I really missed that, and it didn't take me more than a week to realize I needed to step up my own game if I wanted to have any luck with a new girl in the future. Especially since I wasn't about to get serious with any chick who a) wasn't vegetarian and b) couldn't make a good meal. Those are dealbreakers for real.

So I started trying to cook by beginning a semi-weekly vegan "dinner club" with two of my lovely female friends. Now I can make some semi-decent meals such as...

Channa Masala
    Tofu (or Aloo) Palak
    Artichoke heart & spinach farfalle
    Winter pesto soup
    Thai red curry tofu
    Miso soup
    etc.

Getting myself familiar with cooking definitely has paid off, as my current gf loves the fact that I cook and some of our best times have been helping each other in the kitchen. Needless to say, she's not only vegetarian but she can cook too (and so can her mom!).

Cooking ability (for fellas and ladies alike) =

My lady cooks, and I clean. That's the deal.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I seriously get down in the kitchen.

and I love it.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I dont even own a microwave. i would just to heat stuff up, but still w/ the move towards better info about Food the whole Insta-Food culture is so last century.

Well, we agree on this point, because fuck a microwave. Sure it's convenient for heating stuff up, but leftover pasta given a quick fry in the pan tastes infinitely better than it's microwaved decrepit neighbor.

My mom never taught how to cook directly, but I must have learned from diffusion. I love cooking. I spent a lot of time experimenting in the kitchen, and I'm happy to say that it definitely paid off cause I can get down on some impressive three course meal steez. I'm really strict about eating healthy, so not cooking isn't even an option at this stage in my life. My friend just started cooking without oil

My sisters don't seem to have come out of the gate as hard as me, but we'll see if game evens out in the end.

The best thing about cooking is sharing it. Meals prepared for friends, especially lady friends, always seem the most fulfilling.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    My ass is always in the kitchen. I cook professionally and so does my girlfriend. She's from Mexico and grew up making tortillas. I grew up in a French family and was raised on home cooked meals every night. I've been cooking since I was 14 and wouldn't know what to do with myself if I ever stopped. Together we make a strong team.
    The next Iron Chef's should be concerned.

The best thing about cooking is sharing it. Meals prepared for friends, especially lady friends, always seem the most fulfilling

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    My lady has some insane cooking skills.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Me too. My first love is the hanger, though (but you usually gotta ask the butcher for it).

I made us some tasty porterhouses the other night. Prepared a rub of whole peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, crushed bay leaves, fennel seeds, crushed rosemary, red pepper flakes and salt. Covered and let the steaks sit for 4 hours.

Mixed a cup of salt with 3/4 cup water, and more of the above spices, covered the porterhouses in a thick pack of the salt/spice mixture and then roasted. When it's over, the salt mixture is like a hard shell you crack off the steak with a wood spoon. So Frickin' tasty. Yum. I could cut mine with my fork. So good. Yum!

• Options

Me too. My first love is the hanger, though (but you usually gotta ask the butcher for it).

I made us some tasty porterhouses the other night. Prepared a rub of whole peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, crushed bay leaves, fennel seeds, crushed rosemary, red pepper flakes and salt. Covered and let the steaks sit for 4 hours.

Mixed a cup of salt with 3/4 cup water, and more of the above spices, covered the porterhouses in a thick pack of the salt/spice mixture and then roasted. When it's over, the salt mixture is like a hard shell you crack off the steak with a wood spoon. So Frickin' tasty. Yum. I could cut mine with my fork. So good. Yum!

That's simliar to what my dad does with a standing rib roast. Takes it, sits it in a bed of rock salt and then we cover the whole thing with more rock salt, spraying it with water to cake it on so it encases the whole thing. I forget how long we put it in the oven for and at what temp, but it comes out the same size as it went in, and all the juice is still in the meat since it can't escape. The shell of salt gets cracked off with a hammer.

Only thing, you have to get a certain type of rock salt, one type is poisonous and one isn't. We get the one that isn't as we enjoy life.

I thought you were a vegetarian for some reason.

• My wife and I both cook, but I do so more often. I really enjoy it though. Last night I made a sweet potato and white bean soup with a walnut pesto. It was really good.

I have taken over a lot of the house work since my wife is in grad school. She has a ton of work to do and I want her to do well so it doesn't bother me at all.