Job-search websites suck

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Everytime I click on a job application that looks interesting, it takes me to yet another job-search website which requires me to yet again register my details and enter my resume. I must have been through 6 of these already. One of them wouldn't even accept my .pdf resume saying that it only accepted .doc format documents. Fuck. Shit just gets frustrating.OK. Vent over. The search continues...

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    A month and a half ago I was all over them. Thankfully someone finally hired my dumb ass. But yeah they do suck - although if you're doing anything IT related get up on dice.com. I had a better experience with them.

But my beef is when you apply for jobs thinking your sending your shit to the HR dept of the actual company but instead some jackass recruiter calls you with absolutely no knowledge of the position he's trying to place you in. I don't wanna fuck wit a middleman? Can I talk to the person who may actually pay me one day?

Recruiters. These people. I've never met one that had a clue what they were talking about.

Oh if you're a recruiter I'm sure you're the exception to everything I've written and I wish you continued success going forward.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Funny, I've always had good luck finding jobs. Well, only ever had 2 real jobs. I set a goal for myself to quit my job once I have a good amount of cash saved up. Then I'm breaking off and going independent.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yeah the first time I filled out my resume on Monster I included the word 'sales' in there somewhere (even though i'm in the design/creative field). Don't ever do that. Unless you're actually in sales. Cos boy you'll never get so much junk for sales jobs in your life.

• Yeah the first time I filled out my resume on Monster I included the word 'sales' in there somewhere (even though i'm in the design/creative field). Don't ever do that. Unless you're actually in sales. Cos boy you'll never get so much junk for sales jobs in your life.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Looking for jobs on your own can be tough. I suggest you register with a staffing agency. Craigslist can be good if you are consistent with it.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I've never used one of these, but I'd think twice before using Monster...

Last week???s massive security breach affecting Monster.com is a reminder of what is at stake as we all come to rely on web-based services for everything from shopping to dating to job searching. For those unfamiliar with the service, Monster.com is an international job search site, where employers can post job ads and employees can post their resumes and apply for positions. According to CRN Business:

The stolen data, which was found on a remote server and shut down by Monster.com this week, included users' names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Symantec security researchers first reported the incident last week, although it's still not clear when the breach first occurred.

The data was collected by the Trojan Infostealer.Monstres, which likely used stolen login credentials of legitimate employment recruiters to gain access to the site's resume database, according to a posting by Symantec researcher Amado Hidalgo on Symantec's Web site. The unsuspecting job seekers whose information was stolen then became the victims of various phishing e-mail scams attempting to empty their bank accounts.

Last week???s reports indicated that a staggering 1.3 million individuals??? data had been stolen, but Monster.com???s CEO Sal Iannuzzi is now saying that the breach is likely even larger:

To be safe, he said, all Monster.com users should assume that their contact information has been taken.

While Monster is assuring users that it is working to improve security on their site and contacting users about ways they can ensure their privacy, this is too little too late given that millions of users??? confidential data, including names, residential addresses, e-mail addresses, home telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and employment history have been stolen by individuals who have not been identified or arrested for purposes yet unknown. It is not yet known if any financial transaction data has been stolen.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Looking for jobs on your own can be tough. I suggest you register with a staffing agency. Craigslist can be good if you are consistent with it.

what he said...

Officeteam has been the best in my dealings with staffing agencies. If they got one in your area hit them up.