The Wax Poetics Anthology Vol. 1

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The fact that his first book was widely read by people who don't actually read but wish to appear as if they do did make me suspicious of him for a long time, though.

Actually, I kind of liked his first book but there are parts of it that just read REALLY PRECIOUS in a way that folks could easily find off-putting.

McSweeney's writing programs for kids in different cities is pretty cool public work.

• Well, I started reading his most recent book (What is the What) last weekend and, 200 pages in, I think it's a pretty commendable effort. That's the only thing I've ever read by him though. And he gave some basketball bloggers that I like a forum on his website, so I am positively disposed towards him.

The fact that his first book was widely read by people who don't actually read but wish to appear as if they do did make me suspicious of him for a long time, though.

What is the What is definitely on my list, as it got a TREMENDOUSLY positive review on the NY Times, and a couple people whose opinion I respect have given it a high endorsement.

His first book was pretty good, critical and hipsteria plaudits aside. His second book was :doodooonastick:, and some of his New Yorker fiction is mad :ehhhhhhhhh: But, I like what he does, and bringing attention to reading and writing (especially as pro bono work to kids) is nothing but commendable.

Edit: ODub- precious is absolutely the right word. Shit gets really gimmicky at times, and i wish he would just write instead of telling me how I'm reacting or drawing pictures of toasters.

Edit: ODub- precious is absolutely the right word. Shit gets really gimmicky at times, and i wish he would just write instead of telling me how I'm reacting or drawing pictures of toasters.

And what's even more annoying is that he anticipates that you might think he's being precious and basically tries to disarm that criticism in such a way that makes it even more precious.

• If the Weldon Irvine article is in this anthology, I'll cop it.

And I'm poor.

• If the Weldon Irvine article is in this anthology, I'll cop it.

And I'm poor.

I am now officially Microwave Popcorn.

If the Weldon Irvine article is in this anthology, I'll cop it.

And I'm poor.

It's in there. I was asked to rewrite the intro but the actual article is still in there, presumably intact (I can't confirm since I haven't seen the anthology yet but I have no reason to think it's not intact).

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Since this is turning into a McSweeney's discussion, I'll put my two cents in.

I've got a real love/hate thing with them. They came out of the gate like they intended to start a literary revolution. Instead, I think they rejuvenated book publishing in the US, which is very commendable in its own right.

A few qualms:
    --their first issue was comprised entirely of stories that had been rejected by other entities, and made the point that there are huge untapped resources of writing talent in the country. They still bring some a new author or two w/ each issue, but more and more it's the same writers you'll see in the New Yorker and every other mainstream publication. One also gets the sense that when Joyce Carol Oates or John Updike or whomever sends a story to McSweeney's, it doesn't have to be A- or even B-list material for them to publish it.

--The assessment of Eggers' work as "precious" applies so much more to most of the other authors published in their quarterly. They've gone from anything goes to cute very, very quickly. And while their packaging is appealing and innovative, it underscores the charges of style over substance.

--Their web site has degenerated horribly. The stories they have on a daily basis read like rejected ideas for They Might Be Giants b-sides. And if you really want to see a parade of mediocrity, check out the column known as McSweeney's Recommends. I want to believe that this column is meant as satire, but over time I've become convinced that it's sincere, and that's disturbing. It basically advocates staying at home, watching mainstream television shows, and listening to crappy indie rock everyone else had made up their mind about 10 years ago. I know it's hard to put up new content every day, but one gets feeling that the tastemakers at that site just have very lazy taste.

That probably sounds like I hate McSweeney's. I don't. I think they're doing something great -- not just in their community work, but in their publishing. I just get frustrated with visions of how easily they could be doing even better things, some of which seemed to be part of their original mission and got left behind somewhere along the line.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

Either contribute to the topic or cease your childish attacks. Ah, please.

You have just admited to putting money in Dave Eggers's pocket. That's not really a thing to brag about.

do you know what contribute means?
    i basically got this thread started.
    i listed reasons why i think the book is expensive
    and i was attacked by some mental oriental.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    mental oriental.

ohh sh*t...

getting popcorn...

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

Envy is an ugly emotion.
    As is a lack of sense of humor.

ugly emotions?
    how about vanity?
    to think id actually envy you takes
    a great deal of narcissism.
    and how is 'lack of sense of humor' an ugly emotion?
    THATS what bothers me.
    you think so highly of yourself,
    but youre clearly a dolt.

also

the word 'precious' to describe artists like
    dave eggers, wes anderson or miranda july is so
    overused, its becoming precious to even say it.

but lets make a deal!
    next time i express an opinion (on this forum)
    no matter how trivial,
    like say: the price of a book.
    i'll get your OK, first.

mental oriental.

ohh sh*t...

getting popcorn...

Uh, check my location. Macaca is just throwing my self-label back at me.

In any case, I thought a little b-busting was par for the course around here but apparently, he's a bit sensitive. No 5-pager necessary.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Dave Eggers seems like a nice dude with many commendable real-world ventures, but I don't care for his writing; it just doesn't express much real heart. There's some John Fowles line about how people who lie a lot always overestimate the impact and goodwill that will result when they finally tell the truth, and I get the same kind of vibe from Eggers: The writing is so formalist and so self-referential so much of the time, and it seems to think that this entitles it to, ahem, extra points for every Instance Of Actual Emotion that it allows through. You know what? No.

I'm also wrestling with the idea of that new Junot Diaz book. I recently read some lengthy cooking/restaurant piece that he did, and it hurt my feelings, bro. It was awkward and strained and self-serving and full of bad decisions--just f*cking awful. So much so that I find myself with a perverse interest in reading his book, just to see if there's any way that it could possibly be as bad. It makes me regret having--in a moment of desperation--whittled my Chicago Library card into collar stays, because while I'm interested in reading it, I'm sure not trying to pay for that shit.

Oh, and Wax Poetics is fine.

Dave Eggers seems like a nice dude with many commendable real-world ventures, but I don't care for his writing; it just doesn't express much real heart. There's some John Fowles line about how people who lie a lot always overestimate the impact and goodwill that will result when they finally tell the truth, and I get the same kind of vibe from Eggers: The writing is so formalist and so self-referential so much of the time, and it seems to think that this entitles it to, ahem, extra points for every Instance Of Actual Emotion that it allows through. You know what? No.

That's what I'm saying...it's like he's trying to do the reader's reading for them. And honestly, the first few times this popped up in his debut book, I found it interesting and refreshing...but when you realize: HOLY SHIT, THE WHOLE BOOK IS LIKE THIS, it's hard to stomach even though it didn't ruin the book for me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That's what I'm saying...it's like he's trying to do the reader's reading for them. And honestly, the first few times this popped up in his debut book, I found it interesting and refreshing...but when you realize: HOLY SHIT, THE WHOLE BOOK IS LIKE THIS, it's hard to stomach even though it didn't ruin the book for me.

Well, for what it's worth, his newest book is not at all in that vein--with the exception of the initial framing device, it pretty much reads like a straight "As told to..."

• Dave Eggers seems like a nice dude with many commendable real-world ventures, but I don't care for his writing; it just doesn't express much real heart. There's some John Fowles line about how people who lie a lot always overestimate the impact and goodwill that will result when they finally tell the truth, and I get the same kind of vibe from Eggers: The writing is so formalist and so self-referential so much of the time, and it seems to think that this entitles it to, ahem, extra points for every Instance Of Actual Emotion that it allows through. You know what? No.

Well, for what it's worth, his newest book is not at all in that vein--with the exception of the initial framing device, it pretty much reads like a straight "As told to..."

The reviews of that book said as much, and are what interested me in reading it.

• i was gonna make fun of you
    (like how horrible your writing is,
    or how shitty your compilations are,
    or how your blogs put people to sleep)
    but that would be too easy, so i wont.

Envy is an ugly emotion.

I am feeling the little stanzas people are writing in up in here. poetics indeed.

i was gonna make fun of you
    (like how horrible your writing is,
    or how shitty your compilations are,
    or how your blogs put people to sleep)
    but that would be too easy, so i wont.

Envy is an ugly emotion.

I am feeling the little stanzas people are writing in up in here. poetics indeed.

Haiku snaps next?

Just got mine in the mail...I have to say, this looks really proper. Kind of wish the Puma logo wasn't on the cover but hey, I understand the realities of the market.

These early issues make me wish WP was still trying to put out comprehensive photo discographies for most of the artists profiled. I still always loved that component.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    These early issues make me wish WP was still trying to put out comprehensive photo discographies for most of the artists profiled. I still always loved that component.

You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    mental oriental.

ohh sh*t...

getting popcorn...

Uh, check my location. Macaca is just throwing my self-label back at me.

In any case, I thought a little b-busting was par for the course around here but apparently, he's a bit sensitive. No 5-pager necessary.

Shit - I bring my popcorn back to find the situation completely defused.

No

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

This was probably my favorite part of the magazine when it first came out. The design throught the magazine has always been top notch as well. Some people here need to stop hating and realize that WaxPo is really a league above the majority of music magazines out there. Dudes raised the bar, and I hope they continue to grow.

$35 for a hardcover full-color book is a damn reasonable price. Try your hand in the publishing/printing biz and see if you can do any better. I was expecting this to be $50 at least.

• These early issues make me wish WP was still trying to put out comprehensive photo discographies for most of the artists profiled. I still always loved that component.

me too - they never do it anymore --- and they never use proper illustartion anymore!!! i assume to make it look more pro journal like.. shame.

i did the illustration of DJ Jazzy Jay for axelrod issue a year or so ago

I never did ask why they stopped doing the full discographies but I assume it was probably too much trouble, especially when you're trying to get issues out on time.

• I never did ask why they stopped doing the full discographies but I assume it was probably too much trouble, especially when you're trying to get issues out on time.

i'd rather they be late and have that in ----- the sun ra one in particular was about 6 pages of sheer beauty!!! and ill never see most of those shits in the flesh.

I finally flipped through the whole thing:

It's organized into four major chapters, mostly by themes. And there's something about that which is cool since it allows the book to fuction as a resource guide and not just "here's a bunch of back issues we clumped together."

It's also really, really nice looking. Really.

However, it's definitely NOT complete. (I know this since a bunch of my features, including my portable phonograph photo spread aren't in here...pity). There were probably other, smaller features that got left out too. So if you own 1-5...don't buy this and sell off your copies. You'll be losing content.

• However, it's definitely NOT complete. (I know this since a bunch of my features, including my portable phonograph photo spread aren't in here...pity).

(I am copping this b/w I am hoping some of my familial strutters will hook a brother up for my b-day Thursday).

However, it's definitely NOT complete. (I know this since a bunch of my features, including my portable phonograph photo spread aren't in here...pity).

(I am copping this b/w I am hoping some of my familial strutters will hook a brother up for my b-day Thursday).

I should have added: the only feature I really would have liked to see included would have been the portable phonograph spread. I had two Brainfreeze/Product Placement related features that would have been pretty anachronistic to include in the anthology so I totally agree with the decision to leave those out. But it does raise the reality that the anthology is probably missing a good deal of other content...so for those who thought it'd replace their physical issues, I'd wait on making that determination until they've seen the anthology first and then decide for themselves.

As noted though: I think it's a good resource in terms of collecting and re-ordering the content that is there. Having Idris, Purdie, Clyde and Jabo all in order is a good look.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

never that. i've already hooked up a dinner with cam'ron for you. remember when you guys met at that vibe party?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

never that. i've already hooked up a dinner with cam'ron for you. remember when you guys met at that vibe party?

All I have to add to this is, there are MANY books that are $50 and up. To complain about the price makes you look like a lil dude

O-Dub I commend you on your handling of Mr. Caca. I doubt I would have had the self control not to call him a whiny little bitch.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just got the book in the mail yesterday, very nice, I like the interviews with idris, purdie etc etc, also like the Val Shively thing
    Also, got that East Of Underground record in the post too, awesome, Wax Poetics have done a great job on both of these.