American Flag gets cut down by angry vet.

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Can someone please explain what the fuck the big deal is?im genuinely not taking the piss, is the fact that one flag is on top of another, thus making the top flag more important?is it really worth getting so worked up over it, and is it really illegal?

Comments

• obiviously the bearded gentleman's parents fucked and gave birth to him inside the US borders, and this is the source of a great inalienable pride to him. It makes total sense to have a maniacal pride about something you had no control over.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    :5pager:

I guess the positions of the two flags plays right into the fears of some Americans that the US is turning into Mexico North - an immigration invasion, rather than a military one.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    obiviously the bearded gentleman's parents fucked and gave birth to him inside the US borders, and this is the source of a great inalienable pride to him. It makes total sense to have a maniacal pride about something you had no control over.

Bill Hicks had a great routine based on this very principle...

lemme see if i can find it.

edit: found it.

• Can someone please explain what the fuck the big deal is?

i really don't understand this kind of thing, why do people get so worked up over flags?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    And just to be very clear:

Im not trying to start shit here, i just don't get the symbolism of one flag flying higher than another.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    people believe in stupid symbols, and lot of people are stupid

that pretty much sums up that shit.

obiviously the bearded gentleman's parents fucked and gave birth to him inside the US borders, and this is the source of a great inalienable pride to him. It makes total sense to have a maniacal pride about something you had no control over.

he prolly also fought for our freedom in 'nam. a country that didn't have shit to do with us.

• obiviously the bearded gentleman's parents fucked and gave birth to him inside the US borders, and this is the source of a great inalienable pride to him. It makes total sense to have a maniacal pride about something you had no control over.

he prolly also fought for our freedom in 'nam. a country that didn't have shit to do with us.

Judging from his beard, I was thinking he was a vet from the war of 1812

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

is it really worth getting so worked up over it?

Since you're asking an honest question, I'll give you an honest answer:

To this man it is worth getting so worked up over it. If he really is a Vietnam vet, he very likely went through some of the most horrific experiences a person can go through. He may have even committed atrocities himself, under orders from an authority he trusted. Trying to reconcile such extreme circumstances with the life he leads now, in the States, no doubt causes a lot of cognitive dissonance. So many acts of war are completely unjustifiable when applied to normal, everyday life, making it nearly impossible for some vets to apply a realistic, healthy perspective to their everyday dealings with others.

In all likelihood, this man is not really upset about the flag. Rather, I'm guessing he's furiously trying to reconcile or justify his past actions and experiences to a population that may have little or no idea what he's been through.

I was thinking he was a vet from the war of 1812

"by the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that our flag[/b] was still there..."

---

• Judging from his beard, I was thinking he was an inbred douchebag

I dont know about that, I know a lot of good people rockin' a Billy Gibbons lite

this thread is boring so far - when's Rockadelic gonna show up?

& then those dudes can get their papers checked...

fucking annoying local news, "what do you think about this???"

• people believe in stupid symbols, and lot of people are stupid

that pretty much sums up that shit.

& then those dudes can get their papers checked...

ohh thats right they are mexican, they must be illegal...

we gave a dude a ride the other night who walked across the border in Arizona & ended up in stanton california, he needed to go to pomona, so we fed him & drove him to pomona & broke him off some $$...
    good times...

sweet

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't know why you guys are getting bent out of shape. It is against the law to fly any flag over the American one.

That said. The dude is a nut ball and should probably be arrested for what he did. Not that I think the shop owner will lay charges.

I'm not even American and I know the flag has a crap load of rules. Ask anyone who cares, how much people take a piss if it even touches the ground or is even folded wrong.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    And just to be very clear:

Im not trying to start shit here, i just don't get the symbolism of one flag flying higher than another.

It's like symbolic dominance; the higher flag is the dominant one, and the lower flag is the subjugated one. Or, in this instance, the Mexican flag was presented as more important than the U.S. flag.

Obviously, some people get really worked up about this stuff. Others don't really give a crap either way.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Funny part is, that's the proper way to dispose of a flag that has touched the ground, been left out in the rain, or otherwise been defiled. Even better is the fact that the flag-waving ignorati of this country are usually the ones who proudly fly their flag, and leave it out for months to get tattered and sun-faded.

• who could forget Tito Ortiz's patented Mexican/American flag that he'd carry on his way into the ring?

• To this man it is worth getting so worked up over it. If he really is a Vietnam vet, he very likely went through some of the most horrific experiences a person can go through.

and coming over here illegally is a cake-walk.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't know why you guys are getting bent out of shape. It is against the law to fly any flag over the American one.

4 U.S.C. ???? 1-10 deal with what the U.S. flag should look like and how it should be treated.

But it's really more like a bunch of suggestions; it doesn't contain any enforcement provision.

• this thread is boring so far - when's Rockadelic gonna show up?

lol

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    All politics aside, that old man threw a fairly entertaining tantrum.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

To this man it is worth getting so worked up over it. If he really is a Vietnam vet, he very likely went through some of the most horrific experiences a person can go through.

Please be serious.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    How come crazy bearded guys with weapons are always the most patriotic?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    this thread is boring so far - when's Rockadelic gonna show up?

I have to win the award for having my name mentioned in the most threads I don't even read/post in.

A flag doesn't mean much to me.

100's of gang members have been killed for simply wearing the wrong color.

Symbols like these play a major role in many people's life.

My question is.............

What did this flag/symbol mean to the guy who put it up in the first place??

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Bill Hicks had a great routine based on this very principle...

lemme see if i can find it.

edit: found it.

Bill Hicks refuses to become irrelevant even 12 years later.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    What is it with these morons and their obsession with symbols? It's a piece of cloth. I thought God said that you shouldn't worship any graven images?

It's kind of sad that people still wave this shit around. I live in liberal Southern California and I see this crap sometimes. Hell, my local liquor store (owned by a Mexican family) sell bandanas/doo-rags as counter impulse buys, a couple of them being Confederate rag themed.

• To this man it is worth getting so worked up over it. If he really is a Vietnam vet, he very likely went through some of the most horrific experiences a person can go through.

Please be serious.

I meant that in a sarcastic sense...i incorrectly read your post and I was about to go e-thug on you

I'm not saying Vietnam isn't traumatic but you figure the challenges people from Latin American countries as well as all across the globe, it's brutal.