Michael Franks S/T

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
How often do these turn up? I've yet to come across a copy. I've tried researching online but can't find much info other than it's a "collectors item" amongst fans.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

RAER

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

RAER
    YES!
    Dude is so smooth it's not even funny. I don't think he's ever gotten angery or upset about anything. If he ever had to raise his voice at someone it would not sound like yelling, it would be a sound so soothingly beautiful that his foe would turn into an emotional ball of goo. How can someone who closes his eyes and hugs himself everytime he sings still be ?

One of lifes mysteries I guess.

• PAGING A.PEARSON, A.PEARSON TO EXPOUND ON THE SMOOTH.

Do these ever turn up??? Anyone ever have/had/seen one of these????

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I've seen so much of his stuff in dollar bins I've stopped noticing. Is this the one stand out LP?

I've seen so much of his stuff in dollar bins I've stopped noticing. Is this the one stand out LP?

Yes it was his first LP. As I understand it, he was trying to make it as a songwriter, wrote a bunch of tunes, tried shopping them around with no luck when someone suggested he sing them for his own LP: S/T which came out in 73. It's good stuff. A lot different than his later stuff (there's fiddles and banjos n' shit)

It was rereleased as an LP called Previously Unreleased. I'm curious as to how raer the original is.

And there are tons of him in dollar bins. At one point I was going to cover a whole wall of mine with Art of Tea jackets but checked myself shortly thereafter. Instead I rasterbated a pic of him to wall size.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I don't think the first album is raer enough to be especially expensive, but it's really good. I always get a great response to the funky track (with Paul Humphrey on it) that calls Jesus gay.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,902 Posts
    Is this the one stand out LP?

For me everything from "The Art of Tea" onwards is worthwhile. I know he left Warners for Windham Hill a few years back and I haven't given them a proper listen, but the late 70's/early 80's Warner stuff is tight. All the major LA/NY session legends up in there. MF has Joao Donato on "Bwana He No Home"

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,902 Posts
    In fact, I have just spun some of that and then followed it with some deep house. Honestly, I love the soulful house, but it sounds like a car alarm after this.

• I just recently picked this up for the uptempo funk tune on it, can't remember the name right now. Had a couple of other tracks with a little bit of funk in 'em too.

Only time I think I've ever come across this one.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i like all his albums. Great dollar bin fodder with samples for days. I was flipping something from burchfield nines a few days ago.

• I don't think the first album is raer enough to be especially expensive, but it's really good. I always get a great response to the funky track (with Paul Humphrey on it) that calls Jesus gay.

The first time I heard that track was on the radio show CD you gave me. I thought that was Michael Franks! Great tune and great CD.