New Rock?... anyone?

13»

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Their next one is due out in a week or so. Haven't heard it yet. Judging from a recent live shows, their new songs are a lot prettier, and have a slow build that owes something to vintage R+B.

for not hearing it that review is spot-on

Cool. I'm looking forward to the vinyl... and their show in DC later this month.

• not that new really, but they played a free show last night and all they had for sale was vinyl, no cds.

on the new black mountain album cover. digging the prog look.

• Huge on the Savy Fav record.

Also, can't stop listening to this:

Their older joints are amazing too, IMO ('specially "They Were Wrong So We Drowned")

The new Modest Mouse record is pretty great too, but i have a feeling that will only get hatted on, round these parts...

In the past few days I've come to realize I underestimated the Panda Bear album that came out earlier this year:

At first listen I thought it was pleasant but slight background music -- "oh, he's doing his Brian Wilson thing again" etc etc. But spending more time with it, especially via headphones listening, there's a whole world of highly charged creativity going on with that record. The way it's produced is so ephemeral, haunting, and strange. Definitely one I'll be going to a lot this Fall and Winter, I suspect.

• The new Modest Mouse record is pretty great too, but i have a feeling that will only get hatted on, round these parts...

Allow me to hatt on that record...

But, not their success. I hope they make huge bank; i've more than gotten my enjoyment from their past catalog.

Viva Isaac Brock.

• quite fond of this, I wasnt feeling her (wink wink nudge nudge) from the get go, but the new single, "Im gonna catch me a rat" hooked me, so I bought the LP...really nice and done right...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

drug rug

grand ole party

menomena

super furry animals

recnet modest mouse album, yes

ladyhawke

mobius band

adrian orange

coco

and in the more adult-cotemporary rock category, i dug wilco and paul mccartney's last albums

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Allow me to hatt on that record...

But, not their success. I hope they make huge bank; i've more than gotten my enjoyment from their past catalog.

Viva Isaac Brock.

They kinda suck now- but i love me some of this record!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i love how in a "new" rock thread you get records like that Go cover or that last joint hook up posted that look carbon copied from 1966. Not that that black moutain doesnt appear copied from '72...

but man im stoked for that new black mountain... one of the bands im in were booked to play pop montreal... i was REALLY tempted to go just to see black mountain.. rest of the lineup looked like a total wash out.

oh i recently heard some songs from the upcoming black keys album which was prodcued by dangermouse
    even with DM it wasn't much of a departure from their earlier stuff
    all of the songs were great, gritty, timeless rock

• is anyone going to the dan deacon/girl talk/tay zonday show this friday in minnesota?

on the panda bear record as a soundtrack to fall/winter. check the new animal collective as well. absolutely beautiful stuff.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I feel bad for having expressed doubts about the Panda Bear record on here initially (after only hearing a cut or two)... experienced in whole, this thing is a monster. The first new rock record I've gotten into in a while that is actually something different (and that is saying a whole lot for rock in this day/age).

I tried to see Animal Collective here last week but it was sold out...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Avey Tare and Panda Bear was in the top 3 worst live acts I've ever seen...it totally turned me off to their music...too bad.

oh i recently heard some songs from the upcoming black keys album which was prodcued by dangermouse

is this the stuff with ike turner? i'm very intrigued...

is this the stuff with ike turner? i'm very intrigued...

he was supposed to collaborate on this but it didn't happen... i would have loved to hear that

I feel bad for having expressed doubts about the Panda Bear record on here initially (after only hearing a cut or two)... experienced in whole, this thing is a monster. The first new rock record I've gotten into in a while that is actually something different (and that is saying a whole lot for rock in this day/age).

I tried to see Animal Collective here last week but it was sold out...

Yeah, I think the Panda Bear's far superior to the new Animal Collective (I like about half the tracks on that one, but none of them feel as special as their best prior work). The PB really has its own thing going on, and rewards repeat, close listening.

I've seen Animal Collective live twice and both times were boring as hell.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts

i'm not sure what the consensus is on Broken Social Scene on the Strut but i love the whole catalog. this one is a little different in that it's supposed to be a solo album by Kevin Drew, but it sounds just like a more song oriented BSS drop. highly recommended.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

i'm not sure what the consensus is on Broken Social Scene on the Strut but i love the whole catalog. this one is a little different in that it's supposed to be a solo album by Kevin Drew, but it sounds just like a more song oriented BSS drop. highly recommended.

You need to drop some MP3's of this album to get through the gate. Got some?

I bought this one blind without ever hearing anything about them when I was pushed into the Indie section at the shop.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I also like this album.

BLOOD VISIONS!

i love jay reatard. blood visions is fun, but his non-aggro stuff is also good. i like his cover of the go-betweens "don't let him comeback" a lot

Here's the whole thing. I couldn't pick out just a couple so went for the full shit.

"You Forgot It In People" is hot fire too. I think you'll dig Spirit If.... if you're into that one.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    alot of this new rock aint got no balls.

- spidey

be specific. what have you heard that's ballless?

• alot of this new rock aint got no balls.

- spidey

this ones gots ballses

I love this band, a lot of fun to see live, but if you dont like AC/DC, walk away son, cause you aint gonna like it...

this is from their previous album...these guys have a great sense of humor, the lyrics to this song are hilarious:

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

i think BSS in particular qualifies as some of the most sacless music ever committed to disc

---

man i wish i could dig that panda bear or even the latest animal collective record.

but i just dont

Sung Tongs is the only AC related thing i actually like the rest doesnt do ANYTHING for me

i think BSS in particular qualifies as some of the most sacless music ever committed to disc

I haven't heard their music, but I can see that being true. We've been lazy about if we're talking about rock or if we're talking about indie pop in this thread.

not a fan but here are some links...

http://htfafsongs.com/Stars/02%20Tbtf.mp3

http://www.nialler9.com/blog/2007/10/02/bss-presents-kevin-drew-spirit-if/

thanks - i think i really dig this. not too sack-less. FOr fans of sloppy/sappy indie rock a'la Archers of loaf/pavement/grifters/dino jr. etc.

I also really love this record:

---

man i wish i could dig that panda bear or even the latest animal collective record.

but i just dont

Sung Tongs is the only AC related thing i actually like the rest doesnt do ANYTHING for me

File under: want to like but I dont.

---

but i just dont

BSS is definitely not Sabbath or Zeppelin, but sackless? They put on one of the best shows I've ever seen and this next tour is guaranteed to deliver. I haven't been into rock for a minute so indie (as long as it's interesting) gets lots of plays in my house. I can agree with the Animal Collective and Panda Bear comments though, just doesn't do much for me.

As long as this thread has moved away from rock for a while, anyone feelin PJ Harvey? Uh Huh Her gets put on replay once in a while during fall/winter.