New Rock?... anyone?

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

FOR DAYS
    I still need to hear/acquire this...I was in this indie rock record store this weekend and was hopin they had it, but no dice. Can, as the kids say, you give us a "sip of the juice?" Just a track, no giving the way the LP ar anything.

I can up this for the kids when I get off work.

• I saw !!! this past week and they were dope.. not new by any means.

Anyone listening to new rock ish?

!!! is fucking dope. I just caught them in LA for the second time. Bend over Beethoven is a serious killer uptempo joint.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Copped this two weeks ago, and it's been on steady repeat since.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

FOR DAYS

YES! Currently can't get enough.

• I also like this album.

• for those into the Blacklips sound, The Demon's Claws-Satan's Little Pet Pig CD was fun...
    and for the Go fans, their first LP on Subpop was killer - still melodic, but much more fuzzed out/underproduced (in a good way!) than the new one...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

I also like this album.

BLOOD VISIONS!

• the Prinzhorn Dance School record is excellent.
    The Fall and Wire are the obvious reference points,
    but I think they have something of their own they're working.

the Prinzhorn Dance School record is excellent.
    The Fall and Wire[/b] are the obvious reference points,
    but I think they have something of their own they're working.

?

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts

have you heard it?

huge fan of this one!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Some reason i thought this band was an import. This is the same band that has 3 people (gurrl singer) an organ occasionaly, um... and they get pretty tear-the-walls-down? I think the band I'm familiar with tour with deerhoof a while back... They from Baltimore?

WTF?

This sounds a lot like The Celebration. They have three permanent members... the singer, Katrina, has a staggering vocal range that goes from Isaac Hayes to Vashti Bunyan, the drummer's a tall gaunt guy Dave who's a total beast and gets Afrobeat-inflected at time, and the other multi-instrumentalist dude Sean sits with his back to the audience and plays three tiers of organ and keys while also playing moog pedal bass -- and keeps a guitar in his lap just in case.

Lately they sometimes have guests sit in with them playing sax or second guitar, but I like them better as a three-piece as it's amazing to see so much power come from just three people. They really do whip things into a primal frenzy, it reminds me of footage I've seen of Birthday Party in their early years, although I don't want to give the impression they're just another in the wave of imitative new "post-punk" acts out there because they're so much better.

I could see you thinking they're an import... they're on 4AD, and apparently their shows w/ 4AD showcases in Europe have been some of their best-rec'd, so maybe that's part of the confusion. But yeah, they're from Bmore and they're possibly the top live band we've had in the 11 years I've lived here.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    oh man new black mountain!!!!?????

BLOOD VISIONS!

dude owes my old band an amp.

buy any of his 37 records, they all sound the same

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Beautiful cover.

I don't know Black Mountain, what are they all about?

• I don't know Black Mountain, what are they all about?

black sabbath in birkenstocks

I also like this album.

BLOOD VISIONS!

not this one.

BLOOD VISIONS!

not this one.

dont even start that umad doggie shit...I understand the cult of Reatard, I understand the appeal, I know dude... he knows I dont give a flip about his music, he doesnt care, so why should you?

BLOOD VISIONS!

not this one.

dont even start that umad doggie shit...I understand the cult of Reatard, I understand the appeal, I know dude... he knows I dont give a flip about his music, he doesnt care, so why should you?

haha dude you have gotten the " " so much lately... you on a strong path towards hater of the year

I gotta agree - Bmore is hot right now.

BTW, what Bmore rock are you feeling?

BLOOD VISIONS!

not this one.

haha dude you have gotten the " " so much lately... you on a strong path towards hater of the year

Ha! yeah, well someone has to be!...too much "Im OK your OK" shit goin on...this "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" stuff makes for boring reading. I aint scurred.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    too much "Im OK your OK" shit goin on...this "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all" stuff makes for boring reading. I aint scurred.

It's OK to feel that way Hook Up. Group hug!

have you heard it?

yes and very stoked about it...
    think fans of the 1st (or ex-dead teenager, jerk with a bomb, pink mountaintops, lightning dust, sinoia caves, blood meridian, etc...) will be very pleased. a great leap forward...

toronto date this friday (oct. 5th) at the horseshoe (don't wear yer birkenstocks though cause yer feet might get stomped on by some sabbath heads) and pop montreal the following night (oct. 6th)...

I don't know Black Mountain, what are they all about?

black sabbath in birkenstocks

try this from the source...
    http://www.jagjaguwar.com/artist.php?name=blackmountain

Beautiful cover.

yeah, nice feel on this one...

• awallawall 673 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I saw !!! this past week and they were dope.. not new by any means.

Anyone listening to new rock ish?

i was at that show, ton of fun
    they have a massive band, and i thought the girl and guy singers complemented each other well even though it seemed they had ZERO chemistry
    this hot girl in a chicken mask was there too

also left neighborhood shit show saturday to check out bonde do role at echoplex this weekend, they're dope. spank rockers came out and visited them for a song or two.
    one of the BEST shows of the year was friday night with white williams and dan deacon. girl talk was good live too - not too frenetic... i felt this same way as this person

white williams is playing again thursday
    his song: headlines

Dan Deacon

yes!

Their next one is due out in a week or so. Haven't heard it yet. Judging from a recent live shows, their new songs are a lot prettier, and have a slow build that owes something to vintage R+B.

for not hearing it that review is spot-on