Milwaukee this friday - WHAT IT DO!!!!!!

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So my weekend warrior mode is in full effect!!! I'm going to be in Milwaukee on Friday - WHAT'S GOOOD???? Would love a spot to catch some decent local grub (is Night Owl really the shit???) pm or PUT ON BLAST!!!!G

Comments

• ??? nobodies been thru this town??? No one has any Dahmer sites to peep (I'm doing a show at the Rave where he caught a few of his victims). where's Bigstacks when you need him....

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Milwakuee =

and

anything less would be uncivilized

no but really, the night owl is cool, but it keeps real erratic hours. I've only seen it open once, although I don't drive by there that often. If you want "local grub" the best place might be Jake's, this old jewish deli. Its in the heart of the ghetto on like 18th and North. If you're not up for that kind of adventure, Cafe Lulu in Bay View is a very popular spot. Probaly the one place you can take a dozen people and nobody will bitch.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    check out kid cut up and why b (no requests sound system) at the red light on friday night. cut up also works at lotus land records, or did when i was there. dope store, lots of dusty 45s in that back room waiting to be discovered. milwaukee still has records!

• Milwakuee =

and

anything less would be uncivilized

it's a shame I'll miss both of these....

I have to run up Bullseye records to pick up some ish being held for me and I'll try & link up with Cut up at his store. Button - you live in the Kee?

milwaukee still has records!
    yeah polka heat for dayz

I have to run up Bullseye records to pick up some ish being held for me and I'll try & link up with Cut up at his store. Button - you live in the Kee?

You should stop at Flipville just across the way from Bullseye if you really like excavation style digging. Also Comet, which is actually in between the two is another very popular dining establishment. Think hipster diner.

Yes, i live here.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ??? nobodies been thru this town??? No one has any Dahmer sites to peep (I'm doing a show at the Rave where he caught a few of his victims). where's Bigstacks when you need him....

Yo G,

You know I have nothing but hate for Milwaukee, but there are a few record shops to check out:

-Music Memories (pricy).
    -Flipsville (eh, but heat every blue moon).
    -Lotusland (wait, didn't Tom bounce?).
    -Farwell Music (eh, occasional come-uppage).

I'm lovin' it out here in New Jeruz, except for the exorbitant housing prices. Sellers must have drug habits to support. I hope all is well with you and yours!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• the at random bar

hi sp***. i'll be there in 1.5 wks for the get down and the soul hole. see you chooooon!

• thanks for the info!!

Button - if you feel like meeting a fellow strutter, PM me.

Stacks - glad NJ is more your steez (though I'm bummed Vendy didn't work out). I'll be up in NYC in Nov - we'll have to grab some grub and peep a Knicks game!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    thanks for the info!!

Button - if you feel like meeting a fellow strutter, PM me.

Stacks - glad NJ is more your steez (though I'm bummed Vendy didn't work out). I'll be up in NYC in Nov - we'll have to grab some grub and peep a Knicks game!

Sounds like a bet, my brotha!!! Those cats at Vandy were bullshittin' on the business end, but it would've been nice to hang out with you (and raid your squirrel stash before you put on Ebay!).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-Music Memories (pricy).
    Their 45 prices are pretty fair, and every now and again drastically low (shhh).
    The LPs are a whole different ballgame though. Someone told me once that they price their LPs so high because all the old school crusties won't even buy a $3 w/o haggling. So they just price their LPs double and expect to be haggled down to market rates, rather than price them fair off the bat and still get haggled anyways.

-Flipsville (eh, but heat every blue moon).
    A bigtime local dealer is on record saying this is his favorite shop of all time.

-Lotusland (wait, didn't Tom bounce?).
    rep speaks for itself

-Farwell Music (eh, occasional come-uppage).
    now Bullseye Records, and relocated down the street. Rarely any extreme heat, but most thorough selection in town.

I was maybe planning a late night trip friday to a secret local digging spot in the suburbs...

R****t are you guesting at Soul Hole?

• It's been a minute since I've had time to post 'round here...but here's my response to 'what's what in Milwaukee'.

--
    Records:
    1. Lotus Land -- yes, Tom's not in the state, but Andy's still around and this store is still tops.
    2. Bullseye -- Used to be Farwell Records. Great for jazz, usually.
    3. Flipville -- I was just there yesterday for a few things. Cool spot, if you have time to spend digging around. Plus, it and Bullseye are a less then a block apart, so if you check one out you might as well check out the other.
    4. Musical Memorie -- Yes, they are more expensive, but worth checking out in any event.

Clubs:
    I'm not up on. But, if you want a laid-back atmosphere check out The Jazz Estate.

Cool Movie Theaters for indie flicks:
    The Oriental
    The Times - they show classic films on the weekend
    The Downer

(The Oriental and the Downer are part of the Landmark chain).

Food:
    Pub food try the Wicked Hop - good burgers and drinks, but there are plenty of other options. Harry's Bar and Grill is pretty good, too.
    Cheapskate local chain - George Webb (so necessary)
    Pizza - Zaffiro's Pizza & Bar (if you like thin crust)

Other Stuff:
    The Milwaukee Art Museum, the Eisner Building is alright, too - it's a museum of Advertising & Design, there are Brewery Tours...or checkout onmilwaukee.com for a list of ish going on this weekend.

Hit me up with a PM if you want any more info.

P.S. What up Big Stacks! This city's not the same without ya!

• --
    I was maybe planning a late night trip friday to a secret local digging spot in the suburbs...
    --

Alright Button, I'm intrigued. What 'burb houses this top-secret spot? Hit me up with a PM, please. Glendale? Port Washington?

Alma's Book store in West Allis? -- That place frightens me.

• Oh yeah,

For records, there also some Half Price Book stores...and there's a record spot in Cudahy (south of Milwaukee) as well. I haven't been there in a while.

• R****t are you guesting at Soul Hole?

i am indeed, on the 15th.
    be seeing y'all soon!

• So I'm in town (what up with all the one way streets???) and I hit Bullseye and bought a few things. Afterwards, I ate the jumbo cheeseburger at Bella's Fat Cat which was , but I did love the local Root beer I had in my float!!! I'm sitting here at the Rave while soundcheck rambles on (they're checking the room to steely dan!!!).

I prolly won't be able to get out to any of these other places, but thanks to the uppage!!!! I'll be back here next year.

peas,
    G

• Too late now, but Bella's Fat Cat < Patty Burger.

• Too late now, but Bella's Fat Cat < Patty Burger.

muthafuckas ain't have shit to say when I first posted this on monday.